Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome delete on deep blue, questions/advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to cover the back of your car with papers or plastic wraps if you want to make the cleaning process faster. Then use blue tapes to cover around the emblem. Spray 4-5 layers of red plastidip then 2 layers of glossifier. Be patient is the key of success. On youtube, look for the channel DipYourCar. That guy teachs alot of techniques.

• Helpful
Reactions: GatorGuy
I was able to work on my trim a bit more this weekend:

blacked%20out%20chrome.jpg

Looking good! Did you pull the chrome strips above the door handles or did you wrap them in-place? The piece-meal mirror wrap is what I’m dreading. I’m considering masking everything off and just Dipping them.
It is really hard to dip the folding mirror. It usually tears after a month ;( Remember to cover the small soft corner under the mirror.

Looking good! Did you pull the chrome strips above the door handles or did you wrap them in-place? The piece-meal mirror wrap is what I’m dreading. I’m considering masking everything off and just Dipping them.
I'm doing them all in place. Now that I have done a few of them, I can wrap a piece of the lower window trim in about 10 minutes. I was really hesitant with using a blade near the rubber or paint but the micro squeegees that I bought for feeding the vinyl behind the rubber trim are stiff enough to cut the vinyl while pushing it behind the rubber or into the grooves in the body. I have started on the mirror, I plan on doing it in 4 pieces. I have done the chrome section under the mirror itself and the section that is exposed with the mirror is folded. Next up is the upper section of the arm that goes to the door mounting.

Reactions: Doanster1
I'm doing them all in place. Now that I have done a few of them, I can wrap a piece of the lower window trim in about 10 minutes. I was really hesitant with using a blade near the rubber or paint but the micro squeegees that I bought for feeding the vinyl behind the rubber trim are stiff enough to cut the vinyl while pushing it behind the rubber or into the grooves in the body. I have started on the mirror, I plan on doing it in 4 pieces. I have done the chrome section under the mirror itself and the section that is exposed with the mirror is folded. Next up is the upper section of the arm that goes to the door mounting.

What kind and where did you get these micro squeegees? So basically you just push the vinyl into the cracks/seams and the force of it pretty much cuts the vinyl at the same time? Thanks.

What kind and where did you get these micro squeegees? So basically you just push the vinyl into the cracks/seams and the force of it pretty much cuts the vinyl at the same time? Thanks.
Yes, the force of pushing the vinyl also cuts it smoothly. This is the squeegee kit I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078752WMD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had also bought some 3M knifeless tape and planned on using that to do the majority of the cutting, but the squeegees take care of 99% of the cutting so far. Here are the links for the knifeless tape and also for the 30° breakaway knife that I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07516WFGN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XY5K6K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like any project, good tools make or break the entire thing.

Yes, the force of pushing the vinyl also cuts it smoothly. This is the squeegee kit I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078752WMD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had also bought some 3M knifeless tape and planned on using that to do the majority of the cutting, but the squeegees take care of 99% of the cutting so far. Here are the links for the knifeless tape and also for the 30° breakaway knife that I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07516WFGN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XY5K6K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like any project, good tools make or break the entire thing.

Thanks for the info. I may give this a shot since it appears that the trim does not have to be removed to do it. The side of the trim that meets the glass appears to be straight forward. I guess I'll have to practice a bit with the side that meets the body, especially at the sharp corner in the back quarter panel. Your car looks great btw.

Thanks for the info. I may give this a shot since it appears that the trim does not have to be removed to do it. The side of the trim that meets the glass appears to be straight forward. I guess I'll have to practice a bit with the side that meets the body, especially at the sharp corner in the back quarter panel. Your car looks great btw.
I was dreading the large piece that goes from the mirror to the rear quarter panel but it turned out to be quite easy. The hardest part was unrolling the 10 foot roll of vinyl and doing the rough cut. It's helpful to have two people when dealing with a big roll.

Thanks! Smoking was an option. Mind posting more pictures?

Its actually a smoked film that my guy applied on my headlights and fogs, also provides protection from rock chips, etc...ill get you more pics when my car comes back from the SC...been there 4 times in the last 3 weeks due to them not being able to fix my pano roof completely. :(
smoked headlights.PNG

sorry to hear about the pano...what's the issue if you don't mind sharing
Dont wanna hijack this post but pretty much, my rubber molding was cracking and getting hard...they were nice enough to replace it, this is where the issues started happening:

1. Take it in, 3 days later, they call me and say its $2800 to fix (Later apologized and realized my car is under warranty)
2. Another 3 days go by...call me and say its completed...i go to pick it up and there are scratches all over my driver, passenger side panels, as well as my rear quarter panels. They agree to take care of it all with a detail.
3. 2 days later...i go back and i see they only removed it from one side of the car....WTF?????
4. 2 days later...finally got it all taken care of.
5. I drive home with my windows down and the next day realize there's crazy wind noise in my cabin at 30 mph.
6. Take it back and they fix the wind noise at 30 mph but there's new scratches on the car again!!
7. They said they'll pay for my detail if i have a guy.. (Ok, at this point, i just want my car back....) Take it on the freeway at 75mph and i hear wind noise again (They said by law, they cant go over the speed limit so they would have never known...i took a tech and he verified the noise at 75mph)

So its back at the SC, they are replacing the entire pano roof again, along with all new molding and new appliques. I picked up my car as a CPO on Feb 9th.....and ive drive a grand total of 200 miles, as they've had my car more than i have ever since i took delivery. Now, the delivery is an entirely different story....Hard water marks, broken interior pieces...etc....Ive heard bad stories before, and now im living one of them. :(

Dont wanna hijack this post but pretty much, my rubber molding was cracking and getting hard...they were nice enough to replace it, this is where the issues started happening:

1. Take it in, 3 days later, they call me and say its $2800 to fix (Later apologized and realized my car is under warranty)
2. Another 3 days go by...call me and say its completed...i go to pick it up and there are scratches all over my driver, passenger side panels, as well as my rear quarter panels. They agree to take care of it all with a detail.
3. 2 days later...i go back and i see they only removed it from one side of the car....WTF?????
4. 2 days later...finally got it all taken care of.
5. I drive home with my windows down and the next day realize there's crazy wind noise in my cabin at 30 mph.
6. Take it back and they fix the wind noise at 30 mph but there's new scratches on the car again!!
7. They said they'll pay for my detail if i have a guy.. (Ok, at this point, i just want my car back....) Take it on the freeway at 75mph and i hear wind noise again (They said by law, they cant go over the speed limit so they would have never known...i took a tech and he verified the noise at 75mph)

So its back at the SC, they are replacing the entire pano roof again, along with all new molding and new appliques. I picked up my car as a CPO on Feb 9th.....and ive drive a grand total of 200 miles, as they've had my car more than i have ever since i took delivery. Now, the delivery is an entirely different story....Hard water marks, broken interior pieces...etc....Ive heard bad stories before, and now im living one of them. :(
oh man that's rough. I had the milling noise from the drive unit, squeaky breaks and wind noise driver side windshield at around 70 mph. took multiple trips to SC to get them to replace each, especially the squeaky breaks (new rotors and pads). good to hear they're replacing the pano etc. In the end, they'll do what's right. hope it comes back with no issues.:)

Just a status update that I have now dropped off my car at a place to get the various work done! I'll post photos here when I'm done. Doing a chrome delete (satin black), wheel powdercoat (satin), and tinting (procrastinated and hadn't done that yet). There is some particular detail work like... the T E S L A on the back will be glossy black (while the bar is satin).

Very excited and will post photos soon. Thanks everyone in this thread for helping out. And @jelloslug its great to see your progress!

Reactions: jelloslug