Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Circumnavigating the USofA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
OK, I have already hit every Supercharger on the west coast. I have to say, it was a blast. Following the Superchargers takes you to places you would just never get to otherwise. Planning whats next in Tesla Tourism I thought about the classic Route 66, but we are still waiting for the St. Louis, MO charger (Opening in 2019) to complete the song's trip.

I need to visit the other coast at some point, but waiting for @buttershrimp to do his kamikaze caravan doesn't appear to be happening too soon. Also, the route doesn't seem predefined in the way following the old Route 66 would be.

So I think the trick will be to hit every Supercharger that is as close to the edge of the country as I can:

Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 7.12.41 AM.png

I have already did the West Coast, so beginning in Washington if I leave soon I can avoid North Dakota all together and still be at the most Northern Superchargers. Yes, I threw in Oshkosh, it is just such a cool sounding town and someday I would like to hit up the EAA annual event (perhaps I can coordinate).

Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 7.10.16 AM.png

I have a friend in Long Island I NEED to visit. Been too long. Perhaps stay a while.

Then I will put on blinders and head thru the most historically significant part of the USA w/o stopping for anything but coastal Superchargers:
Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 7.22.45 AM.png

I'll have to actually go all the way south to Key West, but that's the southernmost Supercharger there on the map. Also have friends in Southern Florida that I will have to visit and perhaps even coordinate with a SpaceX launch. They are every week now right?

Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 6.53.18 AM.png

Then the final 3600 miles across the Southern border to get back to California. As I started to think about this, I realize that if I am going soon, I will wanna start on the southern route as it's only getting warmer down there. I am stopping nightly to car camp at a free charger so the trip is actually pretty cheap. I broke it into three maps for the major stops, but I was afraid ABetterRoutePlanner might not handle all these stops, plus it sped up the recalculations each time I changed a stop.

Anyone have any advice? No one will probably see this. I didn't know where to post this as there isn't a Road Trip board on TMC. And the location-based boards are too local for this post, so I am posting above those to all of North America.

-Randy

Is there a logistical reason you're bypassing the southernmost TX SpCs at McAllen & Laredo? Can you not get back up to Three Rivers from there?
Some number of years ago - pre-Tesla time - I did what Alaskans say and "drove around the block". AK to San Diego to Key West via Brownsville TX, to Maine thence back to AK. Took more than a weekend.

Reactions: Dre78
Any guesses as to which state has the most border Superchargers?
In actual fact, it's got to be California, right? The long coast and relative supercharger density/coverage make it nigh unbeatable. But since you've already hit all those and you're not really using CA as part of your trip, I would imagine that for your purposes it's Florida.

Oh, man, what was I thinking, I could have named this thread Circumnav-a-Nation! Get it, see it sounds like circumnavigation...

OK, there are ~27 Superchargers on the California coast, while on the route above there are 35 on the Florida coast. Perhaps if you just compared West coasts CA would win, but Florida has an East coast too, and except for Orlando ALL of the chargers are closer to the ocean than some of the chargers I counted in the California list.

I did the route planning for the counter-clockwise trip and had to remove the NYC Superchargers. That town is crazy. The only Supercharger I have tried to touch that required a payment was DOWNTOWN LA, valet only. I promised myself to never do that again. Well, the San Diego downtown also did, but I was in and out so fast they didn't say nuthin'. We'll see what Miami says where they have two Superchargers in one HUGE garage.

It worked out that every town I would likely stop for the night has a Planet Fitness. This plan is coming together.

-Randy

OK, there are ~27 Superchargers on the California coast, while on the route above there are 35 on the Florida coast.
Ah, different counting standards. I counted a bunch more between Los Altos and Daly City going up the peninsula, and I think I might have included Hawthorne as well. Also, I didn't have as many as you did for Florida, maybe we counted differently the cluster around Tampa? Etc.

Oh, man, what was I thinking, I could have named this thread Circumnav-a-Nation! Get it, see it sounds like circumnavigation...

OK, there are ~27 Superchargers on the California coast, while on the route above there are 35 on the Florida coast. Perhaps if you just compared West coasts CA would win, but Florida has an East coast too, and except for Orlando ALL of the chargers are closer to the ocean than some of the chargers I counted in the California list.

I did the route planning for the counter-clockwise trip and had to remove the NYC Superchargers. That town is crazy. The only Supercharger I have tried to touch that required a payment was DOWNTOWN LA, valet only. I promised myself to never do that again. Well, the San Diego downtown also did, but I was in and out so fast they didn't say nuthin'. We'll see what Miami says where they have two Superchargers in one HUGE garage.

It worked out that every town I would likely stop for the night has a Planet Fitness. This plan is coming together.

-Randy
My advice is to make this tasty gem of a trip the official mad max FSD route! That way people can join us on an official Trip. Like catching a comet of awesome.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck