Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could bugs be causing (some) phantom braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Phantom braking is the result of software defects (and possibly hardware defects as well.) The entire job of TACC is to function in the driving environment. If it can't do that then it's just 'plain' cruise control.

I use FSD far more often than TACC but recently I've used TACC several times and been quite disappointed. I had it brake from 60 MPH down to 20 MPH on the highway. There was no one else around so I just let it go to see what it would do but what other adaptive cruise system does that?

Of course, Tesla doesn't have "plain" cruise control because it knows better than its owners (and some non-owners).

I live in Portland and often drive south on I-5 to visit my folks in southern Oregon - I have never had a phantom braking issue. My wife takes the X on a trip to Boise through eastern oregon and reports half a dozen phantom braking issues. Weird. We then went together this past weekend on same route to Boise and boom - more braking issues.

One thing I noticed is there were a LOT of bugs hitting the car on the trip to Idaho, but very few on my trips to southern Oregon. Could a large bug be the reason for some of the braking issues? Maybe the camera "sees" it real late and real fast and thinks there is something big and close to the car?

Just wondering..
Its more likely that bug detritus on the windshield in front of the cameras induces a general haze and less clarity, and that might occasionally trigger PB from perception mistakes.

It's also possible it's irrelevant---more undulating up and down roads, common in country areas and not interstates, are likely to create phantom braking events as the car (memoryless) seems to suddenly wonder if there is something hiding in the dips. More specifically if the perspective lines of the road boundary cant be continued to the horizon as normal the system gets nervous, and that happens mostly with up and down dips.

Reactions: Lenonator
Its more likely that bug detritus on the windshield in front of the cameras induces a general haze and less clarity, and that might occasionally trigger PB from perception mistakes.

It's also possible it's irrelevant---more undulating up and down roads, common in country areas and not interstates, are likely to create phantom braking events as the car (memoryless) seems to suddenly wonder if there is something hiding in the dips. More specifically if the perspective lines of the road boundary cant be continued to the horizon as normal the system gets nervous, and that happens mostly with up and down dips.
That makes sense. A lack of depth perception.