Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

City permit for installing a wall connector in Gainesville, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Gainesville, Florida, waiting for my Model Y, and am ready to install my wall connector in the garage (very easy setup, right next to the breaker box). I was wondering if anyone has actually obtained a city permit for the installation. Thank you!!

No permit required when homeowner of a single res does the work. At least here in Jersey. Only took me a couple hours. My panel was full, so I replaced 4 breakers with 2 tandem breakers and that made room for the new 60A breaker. My charger went right next to the panel, so only a 5' run thru the stud the panel was mounted on

Upvote 0
No permit required when homeowner of a single res does the work. At least here in Jersey. Only took me a couple hours. My panel was full, so I replaced 4 breakers with 2 tandem breakers and that made room for the new 60A breaker. My charger went right next to the panel, so only a 5' run thru the stud the panel was mounted on
Thank you!!

Reactions: johnnycnote
Upvote 0
Do you know the potential dangers of using tandem breakers? I am also extremely suspicious of NJ not requiring a permit for this type of electrical work, regardless of who does it.

Upvote 0
Do you know the potential dangers of using tandem breakers? I am also extremely suspicious of NJ not requiring a permit for this type of electrical work, regardless of who does it.
I spoke with a couple of electricians about this and I did my research. As long as the panel accepts tandem breakers and the tandem breaker does not exceed the total amp capacity of the standard breakers being replaced, the dangers of tandem breakers are no different the dangers of standard breakers.

Homeowners of Single Family Detached Dwelling in many towns do not need a permit for doing electrical work in their own homes. Here are a some examples:
Electric | Manalapan Township
Building Department | Jefferson Township, NJ

I also installed about a dozen electrical sockets and multiple light fixtures when I finished my basement. Again, things might be different in other parts of the country

Upvote 0

In Virginia they are still required to get permits.

Upvote 0
I spoke with a couple of electricians about this and I did my research. As long as the panel accepts tandem breakers and the tandem breaker does not exceed the total amp capacity of the standard breakers being replaced, the dangers of tandem breakers are no different the dangers of standard breakers.

Homeowners of Single Family Detached Dwelling in many towns do not need a permit for doing electrical work in their own homes. Here are a some examples:

I also installed about a dozen electrical sockets and multiple light fixtures when I finished my basement. Again, things might be different in other parts of the country

Tandem breakers generate additional heat in a smaller space if the breakers are running close to the limit for that circuit. The less of them you have the better for the longevity of your panel. However, if installing tandems are the only way to get the job done, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Upvote 0
Tandem breakers generate additional heat in a smaller space if the breakers are running close to the limit for that circuit. The less of them you have the better for the longevity of your panel. However, if installing tandems are the only way to get the job done, you gotta do what you gotta do.
The other option was another sub-panel. Didn't want to deal with that at that time

Upvote 0

These websites only say that a homeowner may perform the work, not that a permit is not required. I recommend calling your county/town to inquire. If anything goes wrong and there is damage to the home or property, insurance may deny the claim if there was no permit.

Regarding tandem breakers, the main issue is that many electricians use shared neutral wiring to save on wiring costs. Your house may have shared neutral wiring, or may not, you wouldn't know unless you looked. Shared neutral wiring works fine with regular-sized breakers on opposite-phase hotlines, but is impossible to do if the two circuits are consolidated onto a tandem breaker. This could cause a fire, which, again, would invalidate insurance if they found out that a tandem breaker was the cause. There is a separate issue of certain breaker boxes only rated for tandem breakers in certain slots and not all slots. If any of this sounds new to you, I recommend doing some research and perhaps talk to an electrician to look over the changes you made.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
These websites only say that a homeowner may perform the work, not that a permit is not required. I recommend calling your county/town to inquire. If anything goes wrong and there is damage to the home or property, insurance may deny the claim if there was no permit.

Regarding tandem breakers, the main issue is that many electricians use shared neutral wiring to save on wiring costs. Your house may have shared neutral wiring, or may not, you wouldn't know unless you looked. Shared neutral wiring works fine with regular-sized breakers on opposite-phase hotlines, but is impossible to do if the two circuits are consolidated onto a tandem breaker. This could cause a fire, which, again, would invalidate insurance if they found out that a tandem breaker was the cause. There is a separate issue of certain breaker boxes only rated for tandem breakers in certain slots and not all slots. If any of this sounds new to you, I recommend doing some research and perhaps talk to an electrician to look over the changes you made.
What makes you think I didn't discuss this with a local electrician before I started the project? He was the one that thought I could tackle it on my own based on other electrical projects I've done. He also suggested that tandem breakers would be easiest solution

And you're also wrong about the permit:

"Electrical permit application requirements include the following: Commercial buildings, rental units, ac replacements, landscape lighting above 10 volts, pools and hot tubs all require a Licensed Electrical Contractor. Burglar and fire alarm systems require a Licensed Electrical or Licensed Alarm Contractor. Lawn sprinkler systems require a Licensed Electrical or Certified Landscape Irrigation Contractor.

The only exceptions are homeowners performing their own work in a Single Family Detached Dwelling; this does not apply to condominiums, townhouses, duplexes or any multi-family building."

Upvote 0
What makes you think I didn't discuss this with a local electrician before I started the project? He was the one that thought I could tackle it on my own based on other electrical projects I've done. He also suggested that tandem breakers would be easiest solution

And you're also wrong about the permit:

"Electrical permit application requirements include the following: Commercial buildings, rental units, ac replacements, landscape lighting above 10 volts, pools and hot tubs all require a Licensed Electrical Contractor. Burglar and fire alarm systems require a Licensed Electrical or Licensed Alarm Contractor. Lawn sprinkler systems require a Licensed Electrical or Certified Landscape Irrigation Contractor.

The only exceptions are homeowners performing their own work in a Single Family Detached Dwelling; this does not apply to condominiums, townhouses, duplexes or any multi-family building."
Because you didn't mention the two main potential dangers with tandem breakers. Not all electricians are good electricians, some also don't know the danger of tandem breakers. Tandem breakers are perfectly fine so long as they are properly used.

The paragraphs you quoted does not say no permit is required. The "exception" is for the need of a licensed electrician in order to obtain a permit for certain types of buildings or projects.

Upvote 0
Because you didn't mention the two main potential dangers with tandem breakers. Not all electricians are good electricians, some also don't know the danger of tandem breakers. Tandem breakers are perfectly fine so long as they are properly used.

The paragraphs you quoted does not say no permit is required. The "exception" is for the need of a licensed electrician in order to obtain a permit for certain types of buildings or projects.
You know what? You're right! What was I thinking listening to local electricians and my municipality!

Upvote 0
One important point is missing here as a home owner doing the work. You still have to apply for the permit at the town hall just like any other electrical contractor installing new evse. Instead of the electrical contractor signing and sealing the permit, you as the home owner can sign it instead. Everything else is still all exactly the same - getting there permit, permit fees, inspections, following nec code etc. None of that goes away, ever.

Upvote 0