Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Class 3 Tow Hitch For Model S

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
If you can tell us what exactly is different in Model X that gives it the 5000lb towing capacity the whole community will be grateful to you‚ because nobody seems to have a definitive answer on that.

Not really. According to EU standard the vendor had to show extensive test result with the target vehicle and the product was finally approved for use with Model S.

Not sure where you are finding this relationship between gross vehicle weight and its towing capacity. I don't find this a sound argument and this is why. The towing capacity you mentioned may be true for F250 but lookup the specs for F150. F150 weighs 5900lbs (barely 200lbs more than my Model S) but has a towing capacity of 14000lbs. On the same token Model X is also only 400lb heavier for the same battery size and has a 5000lb towing capacity. The vehicle weight is relevant to towing only in relation to the tongue weight (or vertical pressure on the hitch) and that weight along with all passenger and luggage shouldn't exceed the gross weight or GVWR.

The following factors impact towing:
Engine/Transmission (drive train)‚ engine cooling (or battery cooling if I want to draw a parallel)‚ chassis/structure‚ suspension‚ breaking. As far as I could find‚ dual motor Model S is identical to Model X in all these categories. Please tell us if you are aware of anything different.
Here’s the differentiating factor between the S and X; the engineers who designed and built them say the X is capable of towing 5000lbs and the S is not.

Evoforce

Apr 19, 2017
Fountain Hills AZ
Here’s the differentiating factor between the S and X; the engineers who designed and built them say the X is capable of towing 5000lbs and the S is not.
It wasn't made known what the engineers did or didn't address at Tesla. But, other engineers outside of Tesla have designed aftermarket products that work for the car. Go sling mud somewhere else...

• Disagree
Reactions: glide and jjvan

arman1010

Jul 13, 2020
Tbd
There are many reports out there in various forums (refering to ex Tesla engineers) that claims Tesla was in the process of certifying Model S for towing but then simply ran out of time before the release date and then later they got busy with other priorities.

Many suspect this was deliberately done by Tesla to give Model X a marketing edge and I believe them. When I bought my Tesla I seriously considered model X due to Canadian winters. But when I noticed that with air suspension Model S's ground clearance is only 0.1 inch less than X‚ on top of it I can get an S with awd dual motor option and also get a 3rd row seating for occasional 7 passenger (2 children) hauling‚ all of a sudden X's were no longer appealing to me. I decided to sacrifice the funky falcon wing doors for extra range‚ faster acceleration and a much better looking (In my opinion) car.

Yes. Tesla says NO for towing but try getting an answer from them for "Why not?"

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
There are many reports out there in various forums (refering to ex Tesla engineers) that claims Tesla was in the process of certifying Model S for towing but then simply ran out of time before the release date and then later they got busy with other priorities.

Many suspect this was deliberately done by Tesla to give Model X a marketing edge and I believe them. When I bought my Tesla I seriously considered model X due to Canadian winters. But when I noticed that with air suspension Model S's ground clearance is only 0.1 inch less than X‚ on top of it I can get an S with awd dual motor option and also get a 3rd row seating for occasional 7 passenger (2 children) hauling‚ all of a sudden X's were no longer appealing to me. I decided to sacrifice the funky falcon wing doors for extra range‚ faster acceleration and a much better looking (In my opinion) car.

Yes. Tesla says NO for towing but try getting an answer from them for "Why not?"
So you just confirmed what I said. The manufacturer, for whatever reason, does not certify the MS for towing.

All the rest of the conjecture is 100% meaningless and, to top it off, the sources are “ex engineers” and “many” people.

Okay.

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
It wasn't made known what the engineers did or didn't address at Tesla. But, other engineers outside of Tesla have designed aftermarket products that work for the car. Go sling mud somewhere else...
I’m not slinging mud. Do me a favor and don’t drive anywhere near me with your bootleg tow hitch and whatever you’re pulling. Are you even installing a brake controller for your 4000lb rig? I’m guessing “no”. Because why be safe?

• Disagree
Reactions: rooter and Evoforce

Evoforce

Apr 19, 2017
Fountain Hills AZ
I’m not slinging mud. Do me a favor and don’t drive anywhere near me with your bootleg tow hitch and whatever you’re pulling. Are you even installing a brake controller for your 4000lb rig? I’m guessing “no”. Because why be safe?

Don't go play in the street and you will be a little safer... Now go and sling some more mud in your own back yard...

• Disagree
Reactions: glide

Zuikkis

Aug 19, 2020
Finland
For anyone else looking for high capacity hitch‚ here is a more expensive option to consider and it is certified for use in Germany and Switzerland.

There's actually pictures of the TUV approval testing... It's not just welded in some garage, "ah I'm sure that's strong enough", this is pro quality stuff.

It's an expensive hitch, but this kind of testing can't be cheap.

IMG_2482.jpgIMG_2479.jpg

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC