Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Vehicle Assistance Program and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anyone noticed, but starting Jan 27th 2021, there's an interesting change to the Clean Vehicle REBATE Project (CVRP, not to be confused with his CVAP) - makes the qualifications basically the same as CVAP. So instead of getting only $2,000 you get $4,500 if you previously didn't qualify because you were above the 300% threshold, but still below 400%.

----------------------
Income eligibility for increased rebate
  • With the exception of Zero Emission Motorcycles, rebate amounts are increased by $2,500 per rebate for consumers with household incomes less than or equal to 400% of the federal poverty level (FPL). Prior to the January 27, 2021 update, this threshold is 300% of the FPL.
----------------------

How often do CVRP program requirements change?

It finally happened!
Applied: November 10th
Called about a status update on Tuesday, 01/12 and was told that my application was still in line to be reviewed by their first level approvers.
Approved: November 14th.
Approval email and Approval packet came separately, but only 10 minutes apart instead of the usual few days!

Immediately called my SA and she applied to my account and marked me eligible for delivery!
Wtf.. you got approved in 4 days? I applied on 10/28 and WAITING. Do you have any proof to show us? I bugged them 3x to approve my apps

Reactions: Xsighting
Not sure if anyone noticed, but starting Jan 27th 2021, there's an interesting change to the Clean Vehicle REBATE Project (CVRP, not to be confused with his CVAP) - makes the qualifications basically the same as CVAP. So instead of getting only $2,000 you get $4,500 if you previously didn't qualify because you were above the 300% threshold, but still below 400%.

----------------------
  • With the exception of Zero Emission Motorcycles, rebate amounts are increased by $2,500 per rebate for consumers with household incomes less than or equal to 400% of the federal poverty level (FPL). Prior to the January 27, 2021 update, this threshold is 300% of the FPL.
----------------------

----------------------
----------------------

Thanks for that information.

next change is January 27th, 2021
And then in July 2021

----------------------
----------------------

I saw this as well, however, the definition of household specifically for the increased rebate is different:

For the purposes of CVRP, a household includes all family members or other unrelated persons, including the rebate applicant, who reside together and/or share common living expenses. Income verification is completed for all members of the household ages 18 years and older. Note: Roommates who do not have a lease separate from the applicant are considered part of the applicant’s household.

In short, if you live with other people, you have to include their income and still be under 400% federal poverty level in order to qualify for the extra $2500.

Applied: 09/26
Approval Packet Received: 12/21
Placed Order: 01/03
Car Ready for pickup: 01/10 - I did order the white LR AWD MY 2021, so this might contribute to how soon my car was ready (no heated steering wheel for me though :()

Note: the approval packets have about a 3-4 month grace period from the day you are approved so you do have some time until the packet expires (my approval packet had an expiration date of 04/21/2021). If you already placed an order but you feel like your delivery date will pass the expiration date of the approval packet, I would reach out to a Tesla SA as soon as you can to see if it can still be applied. I decided to wait til I was approved before I placed an order. If you're applying now, 2019 taxes can be used for income verification up until April 15, 2021.

My SA made it really easy for me, he just asked me to scan him the completed packet and it was applied to my account within 24h-48h. The grant is also applied to the final cost, after taxes - I wish it were applied to the cost before taxes, but hey it definitely is something! I saw on my order details that it was applied to the same section as the CA Clean Fuel Reward.

I would keep an eye on your account and down payment once it's applied just to make sure there aren't any issues when you pick it up. There was a glitch a few days before my pickup date where the grant had unapplied somehow, but I reached out to the same SA and he was able to get it resolved in less than 24h and now I'm a happy Tesla owner :)

Just applied for the CVRP rebate yesterday so we'll see how that goes.

Reactions: everydaychris
For GRID

They contacted me less than 30 days. Got assigned an electrician after filling out some easy paper work.
Research as much as you can regarding the breaker/panels/regulation in your city.
Was kind of pushed to upgrade the panel with $3000+ quote but I knew it's not necessary.
Overall good experience as long as you know what you need and want.

tag along with my update

Submitted CVAP Application 8/5
Ordered Model Y 8/5 (didn't proceed with the loan application )
CVAP Approval Status via email&website 10/19
Finish all Tesla ordering process: 10/21 (got tesla loan approved & upload insurance doc)
Email SA page 3 of the CVAP approval package: 10/29
First VIN Assigned 11/6
Pick up appointment 11/10 @ CA 90621

• Informative
Reactions: yaya21
Its here:
Submitted Application: 12/15
Additional Document Request: 1/9
Sent Back Missing Information: 1/9
Approved and received packet: 1/12

damn that’s hella fast, can you share if you did anything to expedite the process? I just submitted mine today and I’ve already ordered my Tesla scheduled for late March and I’m getting anxious I’ll have to defer my delivery and re-apply for the loan.

For those considering applying for the CVAP charging grant, I would recommend it. Easy process, and they are very responsive. If you received the $5,000 from CVAP for the purchase of your Tesla, then you are qualified for up to $2,000 to have an in-home EVSE installed. I purchased an installed the Wall Connector and my $2,000 reimbursement check is in process. Just make sure you follow the directions.

Charging Stations - Clean Vehicle Assistance Program

damn that’s hella fast, can you share if you did anything to expedite the process? I just submitted mine today and I’ve already ordered my Tesla scheduled for late March and I’m getting anxious I’ll have to defer my delivery and re-apply for the loan.

I’ve deferred delivery twice (ordered 10/8, realized I was eligible for this grant with my 2019 tax transcript and applied 11/21, no approval yet). I wouldn’t fill in your loan details until March if your loan expires because at this point the average approval timeline is anywhere from 60-90 days (according to a manager I was able to reach on the CVAP phone line).

If you call them, most likely they’ll give you some vague answer that your application is still in line to be reviewed and that it may take 6-8 weeks for someone to even review your application for the first time. At that point they might reach out to you for additional documentation, and then from there you’ll move into final review which can take anywhere from one day to 2 weeks.

As for how to expedite, I kept calling this month and eventually I reached a manager who was willing to go over my application (not review it for approval, but just check and see if I needed anything extra) and noticed I was missing a viable proof of residency document and that my drivers license JPEGs were corrupted. I emailed the additional docs to him and called back a couple days later to check if they were uploaded. According to that manager the review and approval can happen in one swift move (re: one day) if you have everything you need in your application at the time of review. If not, you get put on the back burner until they reach out to you and get additional documentation.

I’ve deferred delivery twice (ordered 10/8, realized I was eligible for this grant with my 2019 tax transcript and applied 11/21, no approval yet). I wouldn’t fill in your loan details until March if your loan expires because at this point the average approval timeline is anywhere from 60-90 days (according to a manager I was able to reach on the CVAP phone line).

If you call them, most likely they’ll give you some vague answer that your application is still in line to be reviewed and that it may take 6-8 weeks for someone to even review your application for the first time. At that point they might reach out to you for additional documentation, and then from there you’ll move into final review which can take anywhere from one day to 2 weeks.

As for how to expedite, I kept calling this month and eventually I reached a manager who was willing to go over my application (not review it for approval, but just check and see if I needed anything extra) and noticed I was missing a viable proof of residency document and that my drivers license JPEGs were corrupted. I emailed the additional docs to him and called back a couple days later to check if they were uploaded. According to that manager the review and approval can happen in one swift move (re: one day) if you have everything you need in your application at the time of review. If not, you get put on the back burner until they reach out to you and get additional documentation.
"Currently your application is complete (approved), and is in line to be reviewed for the grant decision."
we are in the same boat. yesterday I called and they told me my application is on the final decision review. don't know how long it takes. I saw somebody just take couple of days, somebody takes a week. hope I can get my car this month. lol

quickly, same day. 2 or 3 days is normal. u already get approval?u should get email soon
Fortunately, yes. I called to check on the status and luckily my application was the 4th in her pile. Once I got off the phone, I noticed that she was able to change my status to Approved. Now I'm nervously waiting for the approval email as my scheduled delivery is tomorrow. I really don't want to reschedule delivery when it's so close but I also don't want to risk assuming I will receive it before close of business...

Fortunately, yes. I called to check on the status and luckily my application was the 4th in her pile. Once I got off the phone, I noticed that she was able to change my status to Approved. Now I'm nervously waiting for the approval email as my scheduled delivery is tomorrow. I really don't want to reschedule delivery when it's so close but I also don't want to risk assuming I will receive it before close of business...
can you share the timeline for here. thanks!

Could you please share your approval timeline when you receive the packet? I’m curious as to where they are in the stack now; called today and they said they’re working on Nov 1-15 this week and hopefully will start second half of November next week. Thanks!

Could you please share your approval timeline when you receive the packet? I’m curious as to where they are in the stack now; called today and they said they’re working on Nov 1-15 this week and hopefully will start second half of November next week. Thanks!
i am applied on Nov 13, and last week i call them. a lady said my case is been working on and she will keep eyes on it. yesterday a guy told me my case is on final review..and i am just waiting for the approval. whats ur applied day?