Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Vehicle Assistance Program and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I'm actually one of those rare unicorns haha. I'm 32 and am pretty early in my career so my take home pay isn't too crazy yet, but I do a lot of under the table freelance work. I just want a good reliable car with a good amount of tech, that also allows me to give the middle finger to the gas industry at the same time.

No way.. upload your screenshot dude.. so excited.. when did you order your model 3?

Lol there is no reason I lie to those people who are waiting. Those are who helped me on this journey. I applied on August and recently got approval. Got a phone call from SA asked if I got approval, then VIN assigned, used the vin to get an insurance. For those who resident in California, Tesla own insurance is actually cheaper.

to make you guys feel better and stop being impatient, if I take the delivery months earlier, it will be 5000 more dollars and 2020 model. Your 2021 will all be on the way!

Attachments

• 07ADB91E-E47A-450B-B8C5-A6F00B6F9932.jpeg
    07ADB91E-E47A-450B-B8C5-A6F00B6F9932.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 70
Hello everyone! Very happy this thread was created. I checked it everyday to see if others were waiting ~10 weeks like me. I applied 8/3 and a couple weeks ago was asked for income verification and today 10/23 I finally got approved! :) the Tesla will be my first car purchase and I am very excited!

Is anyone planning to use their own trusted electrician to install a charger and get reimbursed? Or know of anyone who has done it? Or is there a thread about it? I would rather get a charger installed before the car comes and do not want to wait 1 month after owning it to get a GRID electrician to come.

I would rather get a charger installed before the car comes and do not want to wait 1 month after owning it to get a GRID electrician to come.

From the FAQ:

GRID Alternatives must verify that you have received a clean vehicle grant before the team is able to help you get a charging grant. It typically takes between 2-4 weeks to finalize a grant payment in our system and update this information for GRID Alternatives. If you call to begin the process before we’ve updated your file, the GRID Alternatives Electric Vehicle Team will not be able to help you begin the process.

Lol there is no reason I lie to those people who are waiting. Those are who helped me on this journey. I applied on August and recently got approval. Got a phone call from SA asked if I got approval, then VIN assigned, used the vin to get an insurance. For those who resident in California, Tesla own insurance is actually cheaper.

to make you guys feel better and stop being impatient, if I take the delivery months earlier, it will be 5000 more dollars and 2020 model. Your 2021 will all be on the way!

when did you order and what configuration is your car? I was told to wait till Dec for delivery when ordered in early Aug. MY LR, white/white

From the FAQ:

GRID Alternatives must verify that you have received a clean vehicle grant before the team is able to help you get a charging grant. It typically takes between 2-4 weeks to finalize a grant payment in our system and update this information for GRID Alternatives. If you call to begin the process before we’ve updated your file, the GRID Alternatives Electric Vehicle Team will not be able to help you begin the process.

I already installed a charger. There is a fed tax credit expiring dec 2020.

Going to go with the 1k grid gift card for any chargepoint charging stations

Where do you get this screenshot please? I search on the Tesla website but haven’t fount it yet.

Lol ikr, especially since most of us don’t deserve it.
Let’s be honest here, no sane person who makes under 50k a year will look into buying a 50k car; unless they are retired
I make well under 50K/yr (am only 26 so unfortunately not retired) & am looking to get a Model 3. Although I guess your other stipulation was being sane, which clearly I’m not lol. But I already have student debt (& am now in grad school) & a car loan for a Honda. Figured I might as well get the car I want if I’m going to be in debt anyway.

I make well under 50K/yr (am only 26 so unfortunately not retired) & am looking to get a Model 3. Although I guess your other stipulation was being sane, which clearly I’m not lol. But I already have student debt (& am now in grad school) & a car loan for a Honda. Figured I might as well get the car I want if I’m going to be in debt anyway.

Haha just be careful around these Tesla folks. Most of them will say unless you can buy it with cash and have a million in the bank you should drive a 1995 Toyota Corolla ;P

I'm in almost the same boat. I've saved about 25% with the grant to put down, and the math worked about to be just a little more then if I financed another Subaru. Like maybe i'll buy some Tesla stock, but to me the stock market feels risky when I look at the state of our country for our generation going forward. God knows living in LA i'm not going to be able to afford a house any time soon. So might as well at least save on gas money.

Reactions: sleepies
This might sound like a dumb question, but are the CVRP and CVAP two different programs?

Yup! CVAP is a grant program that you have to apply for and get approval from before purchasing or leasing an electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle. It’s good for $5,000 towards your electric vehicle purchase.

CVRP is a rebate program that you apply for after purchasing or leasing and could get you $2,000 (or more for low income) in rebate if you purchase a MY.

Yup! CVAP is a grant program that you have to apply for and get approval from before purchasing or leasing an electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle. It’s good for $5,000 towards your electric vehicle purchase.

CVRP is a rebate program that you apply for after purchasing or leasing and could get you $2,000 (or more for low income) in rebate if you purchase a MY.

Thank you. So now for the second dumb question. Can I still apply for the CVAP if I have a reservation for a Model Y even though I won't actually be purchasing it until next year?

Thank you. So now for the second dumb question. Can I still apply for the CVAP if I have a reservation for a Model Y even though I won't actually be purchasing it until next year?

Nope, don’t apply until closer to the time you’re ready to purchase. Normally, you only have 35 days after approval to purchase an electric vehicle. However, due to the pandemic, they’ve extended it an additional 90 days for a total of 125 days to make a purchase.

If you don’t plan on purchasing until next year, I would continue to check what the turnaround time is for approval so you can get a better idea for how to properly time your application.