Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Vehicle Assistance Program and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a follow up today and was told my app is still under final review and management usually are the ones to approve/deny app. They told me to expect an email if my app is approved. Doesn’t sound like team members are on the same page in regards to application time lines and how updates are received. I wish there was a standard of work flow they could all go based off so all applications have the same updates and timelines

Still under final review here too. I definitely left a lengthy note regarding their work flow on that survey they sent out too, maybe if enough people express the same concern it might be address.

Last edited:
Has anyone been denied here? Like got an actual denied letter?
I just got my VIN today. I'm debating if I should delay delivery and wait until the grant gets approved however I'm in a weird predicament. When I took the quick test if I qualify for the grant, looks like I do. do they use AGI as qualifier?
My total income is above the threshold but my AGI is below threshold by a few hundred dollars.
Is it highly likely I get approved or denied?
Also my other question - does anyone know when the California EV incentive will expire? ($1500) the website doesn't say it, but I've had people told me it expires end of 2020 so if I delay this delivery I might lose $1500.
Thoughts?
(I just applied last week for the grant! I didn't know about it I ordered my Tesla oct 17th, so it has been a loooong wait and you can understand why I'm in a pickle)

How is everyone from September and October getting approved already if they’re “going in the order they receive the applications?” I applied on August 26, and I haven’t heard squat.

In fact, when I give them a call (third time already, most recently being last week) they give me the same canned response saying the pandemic has affected their processing times and that they are reviewing applications in the ORDER THEY RECEIVED THEM.

Has anyone been denied here? Like got an actual denied letter?
I just got my VIN today. I'm debating if I should delay delivery and wait until the grant gets approved however I'm in a weird predicament. When I took the quick test if I qualify for the grant, looks like I do. do they use AGI as qualifier?
My total income is above the threshold but my AGI is below threshold by a few hundred dollars.
Is it highly likely I get approved or denied?
Also my other question - does anyone know when the California EV incentive will expire? ($1500) the website doesn't say it, but I've had people told me it expires end of 2020 so if I delay this delivery I might lose $1500.
Thoughts?
(I just applied last week for the grant! I didn't know about it I ordered my Tesla oct 17th, so it has been a loooong wait and you can understand why I'm in a pickle)

Pretty sure people are confusing the SoCal Edison Clean Fuel Reward Program with the California Clean Fuel Reward. They're both different rebate programs. If you get one, you can't get the other and the SoCal Edison one definitely expires this year on 12/31 while the California Clean Fuel one does not have an expiration date, probably until they exhaust funds, not entirely sure but I do know there's no expiration on that as of now. Adding more info I posted on this a while back here:

Yep, I spoke with my TA and can confirm the above. The California Clean Fuel Reward (CCFR) rebate is different from the SoCal Edison Clean Fuel Reward Program. You can only get one or the other and either way the SoCal Edison one ends by December 31st. There doesn't seem to be a deadline for the California Clean Fuel Reward rebate program, it's $500 more and you don't have to do anything to get it, just sign off on some papers when you take delivery and the money gets sent directly to Tesla.

How is everyone from September and October getting approved already if they’re “going in the order they receive the applications?” I applied on August 26, and I haven’t heard squat.

In fact, when I give them a call (third time already, most recently being last week) they give me the same canned response saying the pandemic has affected their processing times and that they are reviewing applications in the ORDER THEY RECEIVED THEM.

I'd keep calling and emailing until they give you a solid yes or no on your application because that's just plain ridiculous. I'd ask to speak to a manager if they can't give you a straight answer because each time I call they say they're at the end of the August applications so if you lead with that question, you might be able to get them to actually take a dive into it while they have you on the phone

I applied on September 29th, and was just approved today. I called earlier this week to check on my status and the guy said I was still in line (not in final review) and they were barley getting to mid-September applications. But fast forward a couple of days and I was approved, so sometimes there can be misinformation so don't loose hope!!

Reactions: yaya21
Seriously considering abandoning my app (applied 10/22) with the new incentive Elon just rolled out about free supercharging for a year if you take delivery before 12/31. SA told me today if I take the hold off on my order this week good chance I get it by years end. What do you guys think?

Pretty sure people are confusing the SoCal Edison Clean Fuel Reward Program with the California Clean Fuel Reward. They're both different rebate programs. If you get one, you can't get the other and the SoCal Edison one definitely expires this year on 12/31 while the California Clean Fuel one does not have an expiration date, probably until they exhaust funds, not entirely sure but I do know there's no expiration on that as of now. Adding more info I posted on this a while back here:
Yes I noticed people are getting confused between the two. I spoke with the Tesla manager today and he did until the funds run out. I decided to take delivery and not wait for the grant. I don't want to risk it if I ended up being denied and lose other incentives. I was also told I get a year free supercharging. So I'll pick up on Tuesday!

Seriously considering abandoning my app (applied 10/22) with the new incentive Elon just rolled out about free supercharging for a year if you take delivery before 12/31. SA told me today if I take the hold off on my order this week good chance I get it by years end. What do you guys think?
Exactly what I did. I just don't want to risk it. I see some people for denied.

Yes I noticed people are getting confused between the two. I spoke with the Tesla manager today and he did until the funds run out. I decided to take delivery and not wait for the grant. I don't want to risk it if I ended up being denied and lose other incentives. I was also told I get a year free supercharging. So I'll pick up on Tuesday!

how did you score a free year of super charging?

I applied the same day you did. Yeah, it’s frustrating to hang in there. Whether the free SC offer is tempting to you depends on what you think your chances of being rejected might be. If you clearly qualify, do you want to disqualify yourself prematurely? Even one year of free charging is probably less a value than the grant.

I applied the same day you did. Yeah, it’s frustrating to hang in there. Whether the free SC offer is tempting to you depends on what you think your chances of being rejected might be. If you clearly qualify, do you want to disqualify yourself prematurely? Even one year of free charging is probably less a value than the grant.
I know it’s not worth it for the supercharging but I’m just so tired of waiting I’ve declined 3-4 Vin numbers already since November, plus I’m not sure if I want to wait until March for a MY. I go back and fourth and the supercharging deal doesn’t help ha ha

Supercharging deal isn’t as great as most people think. It’s only good for 6 months. So the miles is maybe worth $72? If you have a referral also then maybe double to use up in that period.

Edit: sorry just saw the new incentive... for the year free

I applied on September 29th, and was just approved today. I called earlier this week to check on my status and the guy said I was still in line (not in final review) and they were barley getting to mid-September applications. But fast forward a couple of days and I was approved, so sometimes there can be misinformation so don't loose hope!!

This gives me hope as a Sept. 30th applicant! Crossing my fingers for this coming week to be approved!

I had to reject a second VIN the other day but I told my TA that my application should be coming very soon, so he put in for an end of year order for me so I can potentially pickup before the year ends (and take advantage of that free supercharging incentive).

I know it’s not worth it for the supercharging but I’m just so tired of waiting I’ve declined 3-4 Vin numbers already since November, plus I’m not sure if I want to wait until March for a MY. I go back and fourth and the supercharging deal doesn’t help ha ha

if the grant money isn’t vitally important to you—if you can still justify the purchase without it—then yeah, I can see forgoing it.

It’s worth taking note of the statistics published on the program’s webpage. They’re only accurate up to August 5, 2020, but: of 3,300 applicants, only 725 grants.