Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Vehicle Assistance Program and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you applied did you just have to fill out a form and show that the car is registered in CA? Or did you have to submit proof of address and tax returns etc? Asking because I am getting my Model Y, it is going to be registered in CA but I moved to CA from AZ. So my last tax return shows AZ.

Also is there anything else you have to do apart from filling out a form?
I haven’t moved for the past 6 years so just my Tax transcripts was enough

Hey everyone, I received an email last night saying they needed additional documents in order for them to move forward with my application.

I sent in all the documents to them the same day they requested. Does anyone know approximately how long they will take from here to approve my application?

I applied for the grant on October 7
Thanks!

Hey guys! First post here... been lurking for a while, but thank you everyone for all the useful info!!

Applied: Sept 28th
Missing Details: Dec 1st
Emailed back: Dec 3rd
Confirmation of receipt: Dec 4th
Declined :( today Dec 5th

I was declined because my "Gross Income for Household was not under 400% Federal Poverty Level" - I'm single and my W2 & 1040's line 1 is well under the $51,040 threshold, and 1040 line 7 is also negative.

The only thing is my Schedule C could have pushed me over, but that's the real "gross" amount, but who doesn't have expenses?

Has anyone had this issue? Can I appeal?

Reactions: Slate
Hey everyone, I received an email last night saying they needed additional documents in order for them to move forward with my application.

I sent in all the documents to them the same day they requested. Does anyone know approximately how long they will take from here to approve my application?

Thanks!
Sounds like they are moving faster if they’re into October already.

Hey guys! First post here... been lurking for a while, but thank you everyone for all the useful info!!

I was declined because my "Gross Income for Household was not under 400% Federal Poverty Level" - I'm single and my W2 & 1040's line 1 is well under the $51,040 threshold, and 1040 line 7 is also negative.

The only thing is my Schedule C could have pushed me over, but that's the real "gross" amount, but who doesn't have expenses?

I remember someone was declined under the same circumstances a while back. They didn't allow business deductions. Looks they're looking for gross income and not adjusted gross income.

Thanks!
For me it took 4 days after I sent them documents and e-mail state that my application move forward to final decision and on 11/18/19 and I just get an approve today 12/5/20 which I first submitted application on 9/7/20 the whole process take 88 days after I called & e-mail them to ask what wrong to my application yesterday.

Hi All! Been following this thread for a couple of months now.

I put my application in on Sept. 30th and used my 2019 Tax Transcript as verification of income. Haven't heard anything yet, but it seems folks around that date are starting to get theirs approved. I went ahead and emailed them first to get a response to see where I am in the queue.

My Tesla SA has been working with me, and I've already pushed back a VIN one time already. The only downside so far has been that my trade-in car has depreciated a couple of hundred dollars. I recommend holding off trade-in until the very end if you plan on going that route.

I remember someone was declined under the same circumstances a while back. They didn't allow business deductions. Looks they're looking for gross income and not adjusted gross income.

So for those who are in my situation, I found this in the program handbook:

2019 IRS Form 1040: Sum of lines 1-6, line 7a isn't used

2019 IRS Form 1040 Schedule 1 Part I: Sum of line 1-8 unless negative, then negative is considered $0 income
- Line 3 - Business income or loss. Refer to Schedule C Line 7 for gross income

For me, Schedule C Line 7 is what pushed me over... :(

But I have a feeling that 2020 should be fine for me so maybe I'll apply again once I get my 2020 taxes done!

So for those who are in my situation, I found this in the program handbook:

2019 IRS Form 1040: Sum of lines 1-6, line 7a isn't used

2019 IRS Form 1040 Schedule 1 Part I: Sum of line 1-8 unless negative, then negative is considered $0 income
- Line 3 - Business income or loss. Refer to Schedule C Line 7 for gross income

For me, Schedule C Line 7 is what pushed me over... :(

But I have a feeling that 2020 should be fine for me so maybe I'll apply again once I get my 2020 taxes done!

Where did you find the program handbook? I wasn't able to locate it. Trying to see what my odds are now but I'm definitely under the qualifying income. Still waiting on a decision though, applied Oct 18, hoping to hear back soon.

How much above the 400% federal poverty level was it?

Update in case anyone is interested. Called and asked about my application status an hour ago, more specifically, I asked if it was in it's final reviewing stages and they said that all they could tell me at the time was that my application was in it's final reviewing stage - great news considering - and that "everything has been reviewed and I will not be asked to provide additional documents."

The nice representative informed me I could have a final decision in about 2 weeks, maybe earlier but not to hold her accountable as they have a high volume of applications lol. Hoping her time frame is true and I hear back soon. I've been waiting to finalize my financing stuff until I hear from them and unfortunately I can't even get matched with a VIN according to my SA until I complete this portion of my account.

My initials are Y.M. and I applied Oct 18th for anyone trying to gauge their application. Also, I submitted Tax transcripts and 6 months of paychecks, have had the same permanent address for about 14 years, with only 2 other mailing addresses in that same time frame so I assume everything was pretty easy for them to verify.

Goodluck to everyone out there still waiting to hear back :)

Where did you find the program handbook? I wasn't able to locate it. Trying to see what my odds are now but I'm definitely under the qualifying income. Still waiting on a decision though, applied Oct 18, hoping to hear back soon.

I actually tried to go back and look for the most current one that was updated Nov 25, 2020, but unfortunately can't.

Here's the link to to the one updated Feb 6: https://409x7yggc5ekrbd32lf9ajv2-wp...acing-Implementation-Manual_Final-Version.pdf

One of the differences that I can see are that the income cap has been raised a bit.

Applied back in Sept 8
Didn't get too much feedback via email and on Nov 30th I called and was told I was in the final stages, to wait 2-3 weeks
Was finally approved Dec 5th (day 88) on a Saturday at like 11am.

My initials are VB. I was never contacted to supplement my info, everything seemed to be fine. I think the randomish wait times are more to do with who is processing your application.

Reactions: yaya21
Hi All! Been following this thread for a couple of months now.

I put my application in on Sept. 30th and used my 2019 Tax Transcript as verification of income. Haven't heard anything yet, but it seems folks around that date are starting to get theirs approved. I went ahead and emailed them first to get a response to see where I am in the queue.

My Tesla SA has been working with me, and I've already pushed back a VIN one time already. The only downside so far has been that my trade-in car has depreciated a couple of hundred dollars. I recommend holding off trade-in until the very end if you plan on going that route.

Try to check with CarMax to see if they can give you better offer. At first I almost trade in my car with Tesla when I still own some finance and the balance came out to -$388 which will add into my account and I almost accept the offer just to make the process easy but I was curious to see how much CarMax would offer me so I decided to go and they offer me $2,000 more than what I own!

Reactions: everydaychris
Applied back in Sept 8
Didn't get too much feedback via email and on Nov 30th I called and was told I was in the final stages, to wait 2-3 weeks
Was finally approved Dec 5th (day 88) on a Saturday at like 11am.

My initials are VB. I was never contacted to supplement my info, everything seemed to be fine. I think the randomish wait times are more to do with who is processing your application.