Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Vehicle Assistance Program and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can you share the timeline for here. thanks!
Of course! I've been following this post long enough, it's time to share my own timeline.

Applied: 11/3
Request for secondary proof of residence: 1/11 (responded same day)
2nd request for additional documents: 1/15 (phone bill was listed as an acceptable document, but apparently not due to it being a "bill cycle")
Approved: 1/22 @ 2:30 PM PST (after calling every other day to request a status update from date of submitting requested documents)
Received approval package: 1/22 @ 4:10 PM PST (after calling again 2 hours after my status changed to Approved)

I've spoken to multiple people and it really depends on who you speak with. Some wanted to stick to generic answers, some actually put me on hold to do what they can on their end. i.e. the last representative who put me on hold for 15 minutes and came back to say she had sent me the approval letter. Just in time for my delivery tomorrow! WHOOO HOOO !

Of course! I've been following this post long enough, it's time to share my own timeline.

Applied: 11/3
Request for secondary proof of residence: 1/11 (responded same day)
2nd request for additional documents: 1/15 (phone bill was listed as an acceptable document, but apparently not due to it being a "bill cycle")
Approved: 1/22 @ 2:30 PM PST (after calling every other day to request a status update from date of submitting requested documents)
Received approval package: 1/22 @ 4:10 PM PST (after calling again 2 hours after my status changed to Approved)

I've spoken to multiple people and it really depends on who you speak with. Some wanted to stick to generic answers, some actually put me on hold to do what they can on their end. i.e. the last representative who put me on hold for 15 minutes and came back to say she had sent me the approval letter. Just in time for my delivery tomorrow! WHOOO HOOO !

Congrats!! Wow perfect timing

Congrats!! Wow perfect timing
Yes, indeed!

In case anyone was wondering, I purchased a USED Model X from Tesla's existing inventory. Per my delivery team, they have a strict 3 day pick-up policy so I wasn't able to reschedule my delivery date. However, when I mentioned how close I was in getting approved for the CVAP grant, they were more than willing to help reschedule my delivery date, as long as I had an approximate timeframe of when I was going to get my approval letter.

Yes, indeed!

In case anyone was wondering, I purchased a USED Model X from Tesla's existing inventory. Per my delivery team, they have a strict 3 day pick-up policy so I wasn't able to reschedule my delivery date. However, when I mentioned how close I was in getting approved for the CVAP grant, they were more than willing to help reschedule my delivery date, as long as I had an approximate timeframe of when I was going to get my approval letter.
Are you sure you can use the CVAP on used inventory? I was under the impression it had to be a new vehicle. First I hear of someone applying it to a used vehicle

Are you sure you can use the CVAP on used inventory? I was under the impression it had to be a new vehicle. First I hear of someone applying it to a used vehicle
Yes. Per the CVAP Implementation Manual, page 10, Vehicle Eligibility Criteria, it lists specific criteria that the vehicle must meet to be eligible. One part specifically states " d. The vehicle must be eight model years old or newer....." in other words, the vehicle does not need to be brand new.

Yes. Per the CVAP Implementation Manual, page 10, Vehicle Eligibility Criteria, it lists specific criteria that the vehicle must meet to be eligible. One part specifically states " d. The vehicle must be eight model years old or newer....." in other words, the vehicle does not need to be brand new.
You are correct, wow Ive been waiting on a SR model Y to be able to purchase, but really looking at a used S as a possibility even without EVAP, now knowing this makes the decision even harder, (already applied just waiting on approval)

For GRID

They contacted me less than 30 days. Got assigned an electrician after filling out some easy paper work.
Research as much as you can regarding the breaker/panels/regulation in your city.
Was kind of pushed to upgrade the panel with $3000+ quote but I knew it's not necessary.
Overall good experience as long as you know what you need and want.

My dad purchased car on Dec 24 but still nothing from GRID. Did you get Tesla wall charger with the installation or just 220v outlet? Thanks

Thank you everyone for your prompt responses. I have another question:

so I have a special case. I ordered my M3 SR+ on Jan 18, got scheduled for March 9-29 delivery and found out about CVAP the next day. I applied right away bc I found out I’m eligible and my Tesla SA put my order on hold till March 20. Now I’ve already confirmed my loan and apparently it expires in 60 days (acc to SA) and considering how long CVAP is taking right now I doubt it will come in time for delivery. I’m also considering switching to M3 LR if I get approved for the grant. What are your thoughts/suggestions/tips about my case? I really don’t want to push my delivery date any later than March and I’m here in the west coast. Do you think I could place an order for M3 LR in say February and just cancel one of the orders depending on if I get the grant? All I’ll be losing is $100 for order fee.

let me know what you guys think!

Thank you everyone for your prompt responses. I have another question:

so I have a special case. I ordered my M3 SR+ on Jan 18, got scheduled for March 9-29 delivery and found out about CVAP the next day. I applied right away bc I found out I’m eligible and my Tesla SA put my order on hold till March 20. Now I’ve already confirmed my loan and apparently it expires in 60 days (acc to SA) and considering how long CVAP is taking right now I doubt it will come in time for delivery. I’m also considering switching to M3 LR if I get approved for the grant. What are your thoughts/suggestions/tips about my case? I really don’t want to push my delivery date any later than March and I’m here in the west coast. Do you think I could place an order for M3 LR in say February and just cancel one of the orders depending on if I get the grant? All I’ll be losing is $100 for order fee.

let me know what you guys think!

I am in a similar boat: when I found out I was eligible for the grant I changed my order from SR+ to LR. All you need to do is contact your Tesla Advisor and they can make the update for you. No need for another $100 order fee. You’ll need to get a new loan at the time that you switch (as the cost of an LR is higher) but that shouldn’t be a problem if you have good credit. I also re-negotiated my APR from 2.79 to 2.14 by emailing the Tesla loans team and asking them if they could find me a better rate.

As for the timeline, I’d say just keep your order on hold for now until you get approved for the grant (that’s what I was advised to do after I got matched to and had to defer delivery 2x). If you’re in the west coast, chances are you won’t receive your car until the very end of March anyway, as California/west coast is always the last to ship.

You’re right about the cvap but looks like if you buy used, then you can’t apply for cvrp.

To receive both the CVA Program grant and/or financing and a CVRP rebate, CVRP requires the vehicle to be new, not used, and on the current CVRP Eligible Vehicles list. The applicant must also meet all CVRP eligibility criteria.

I am in a similar boat: when I found out I was eligible for the grant I changed my order from SR+ to LR. All you need to do is contact your Tesla Advisor and they can make the update for you. No need for another $100 order fee. You’ll need to get a new loan at the time that you switch (as the cost of an LR is higher) but that shouldn’t be a problem if you have good credit. I also re-negotiated my APR from 2.79 to 2.14 by emailing the Tesla loans team and asking them if they could find me a better rate.

As for the timeline, I’d say just keep your order on hold for now until you get approved for the grant (that’s what I was advised to do after I got matched to and had to defer delivery 2x). If you’re in the west coast, chances are you won’t receive your car until the very end of March anyway, as California/west coast is always the last to ship.

I see, thank you! Would you say I ask my SA to update my SR+ to LR right now while I wait for delivery or after I get approved for the grant? Seems like approval rate for the grant is pretty good as long as you meet income requirements which I do. Do you think by doing that I’ll have a better chance of delivery in March and avoid pushing delivery to June?

damn that’s hella fast, can you share if you did anything to expedite the process? I just submitted mine today and I’ve already ordered my Tesla scheduled for late March and I’m getting anxious I’ll have to defer my delivery and re-apply for the loan.
I didn't do anything special. I filled it out and I did have a notification on my email that as soon as I got the request for more info I had replied with what they needed pretty quick. Not sure if I'm magic but I'm supposed to take delivery on Monday

I see, thank you! Would you say I ask my SA to update my SR+ to LR right now while I wait for delivery or after I get approved for the grant? Seems like approval rate for the grant is pretty good as long as you meet income requirements which I do. Do you think by doing that I’ll have a better chance of delivery in March and avoid pushing delivery to June?

Hmm I think you should update it now if you’re sure you want the LR and qualify for the grant. That way Tesla knows to produce an LR for you. I doubt you’ll get pushed to June unless you don’t get approved for your grant until the next production cycle (next quarter) and they run out of LRs (which is what’s happening to me right now hahahahaha). However, if that’s the case you can always settle for an SR+ as those are plentiful.

For some reason, Tesla hasn't sent the contract or paperwork back to CVAP yet. It has been over a month now. My dad got his car delivered on Dec 24. Tesla better not come back and ask for a difference. I don't know what is going on with my SA. This has been a terrible purchasing experience with lies, delays, and errors. Now CVRP and GRID will be delayed. Ugggg.