Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean your solar panels!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently this guy mops his panels...

4726767_dusty_jpegb69d7cd679742e5371f397d78cac7d81

Precisely my thought and my policy. Not worth the extra small power (from past years of experience on 3 homes), and the risk of personal injury.

As I think we all know, there are a lot of variables at play. The main one being what kind of an area are people located. My San Francisco East bay home was getting more dirt than the one up here in Nevada where there is very little dirt and then the rain and snow do a good job of keeping them clean enough. I've also noticed in recent years that often just spraying them down does about as much improvement as wiping them off. That is on my San Diego home just one story high and I can do it from the ground. Thus having about the same effect as a heavy rain.

As a side note for the OP, you probably know this, but you really can't accurately compare one day to the next day even if it is the very next day. What I am referring to here is you don't mention the cloud coverage comparison during the two days. I have noticed in the past that "Cloud enhancement" can account for as much as a 10-13% boost in power during parts of the day, so you can't look at just the peak power. However, having said that, yes, I'm sure you will see a boost in power to a small degree. Lastly, I wonder if the installer said "not to clean them", or "no need to clean them". I'd guess the later.

I'm not sure I'm with you, but I was comparing the power produced when the cloud cover clears. So yes, I think its valid to say my peak power from the panels was 4.9kw the day before I cleaned them, and 5.5kw the day after I cleaned them. And I'm not really comparing just one day. I'm looking back and seeing the peak for many days before the cleaning was 4.9, and then for every day since they've been peaking at 5.5, so I believe its legit.

Secondly, look at the picture showing my West facing panels. The top panel in that picture is producing 125W because its just been cleaned. The panel just below is producing 29W because it has a mop literally resting on it. None of the panels below that one have been mopped yet, and are producing 10% less power. That's pretty convincing evidence that my panels were significantly dirty and are working much better now.

I have ordered a 20 foot long pole with a squeegee / mop attachment so I can see if I can clean the panels from the ground. I think it will work. I agree with everyone who says the risk is not worth it. If you can't clean them safely you shouldn't do it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I'm not sure I'm with you, but I was comparing the power produced when the cloud cover clears. So yes, I think its valid to say my peak power from the panels was 4.9kw the day before I cleaned them, and 5.5kw the day after I cleaned them. And I'm not really comparing just one day. I'm looking back and seeing the peak for many days before the cleaning was 4.9, and then for every day since they've been peaking at 5.5, so I believe its legit.

Secondly, look at the picture showing my West facing panels. The top panel in that picture is producing 125W because its just been cleaned. The panel just below is producing 29W because it has a mop literally resting on it. None of the panels below that one have been mopped yet, and are producing 10% less power. That's pretty convincing evidence that my panels were significantly dirty and are working much better now.

I have ordered a 20 foot long pole with a squeegee / mop attachment so I can see if I can clean the panels from the ground. I think it will work. I agree with everyone who says the risk is not worth it. If you can't clean them safely you shouldn't do it.
Ok, I see. But is that your system with the mop an bucket on the panels? If so, then those are some of the dirtiest panels I think I have ever seen. I'd don't doubt that cleaning them would result in a nice increase in output :) I hope no one is standing on those panels to clean them.

Ok, I see. But is that your system with the mop an bucket on the panels? If so, then those are some of the dirtiest panels I think I have ever seen. I'd don't doubt that cleaning them would result in a nice increase in output :) I hope no one is standing on those panels to clean them.
LOL! No mine weren't quite that bad! I definitely don't walk on them or set a mop bucket on them. I do use a mop, although I've ordered a sqeegee thing with a 20' extension handle I can't wait to get. I'm hoping I can clean them with just a ladder and not have to climb up there. My hose will hit the top of the roof so I think I may find a better way here soon. I got my powerwalls (2) installed today. I love them. I did however lose my neurio. I only have the Tesla app to see my production. Its been rainy and cloudy in the few hours since install. Can't wait until the first sunny day comes so I can see how much power I store and how much of my home's use they will cover.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Took your advice and had my panels cleaned. Went from 106kWh on Monday to 116kWh on Thursday. Similar weather conditions. Last cleaning was 15 months ago and we did have some big fires in the region last fall.

View attachment 414420

That's about a 10% jump - falls in line with everything I've read. I got a pole that extends 20ft, with a mop/squeegee attachment and cleaned mine again today. Its much easier and less dangerous, not getting up on the roof anymore. Today is my first full day with the powerwalls. So far they started out at 15% charged this AM, and made it to 50% at 3pm. Its been cloudy today, so not a great day for solar. But then not the worst day either. If tonight at 9PM they have more than 15% charge, then they'll start out higher tomorrow morning because I'm going to set the reserve up to whatever level they have. Maybe tomorrow I'll get them to 100%, if its sunny!

Update, if you read my post above about setting the reserve up at night - this won't work. Well, it might if you start early enough. Turns out the powerwall only updates itself from the App once per hour, per the phone support. And that jives with what I saw. I bumped up my reserve in a vain effort to stop the powerwall from discharging after 9pm, but no dice. It kept right on discharging down to 17% before it finally took the new setting. Tonight will be a different story, I can assure you - alarm set for 8PM and I'll put in a reserve equal to whatever level it has. I didn't catch it or I could have turned off my home's AC and turned off the water heater, and it wouldn't have lost nearly so much power. Ahh well. Live and learn. I wish I knew why Tesla doesn't give you the time of use option right away. I've logged out of my app and logged back in several times, but no update on the customize option on the app - still only has backup-only and self-powered option. Rats. Supposed to show up in a couple of days. Why on earth doesn't it come in right away??? Very frustrating.

Update, if you read my post above about setting the reserve up at night - this won't work. Well, it might if you start early enough. Turns out the powerwall only updates itself from the App once per hour, per the phone support. And that jives with what I saw. I bumped up my reserve in a vain effort to stop the powerwall from discharging after 9pm, but no dice. It kept right on discharging down to 17% before it finally took the new setting. Tonight will be a different story, I can assure you - alarm set for 8PM and I'll put in a reserve equal to whatever level it has. I didn't catch it or I could have turned off my home's AC and turned off the water heater, and it wouldn't have lost nearly so much power. Ahh well. Live and learn. I wish I knew why Tesla doesn't give you the time of use option right away. I've logged out of my app and logged back in several times, but no update on the customize option on the app - still only has backup-only and self-powered option. Rats. Supposed to show up in a couple of days. Why on earth doesn't it come in right away??? Very frustrating.

After changing setting in the App, try logging in the Backup Gateway via wifi.
Looks like it captures the setting change from the App right away. Faster than waiting for one hour to effect the change in the App.

How to Login the BU Gateway UI:

Monitoring from Home | Tesla

Let us know if this worked...

• Informative
Reactions: Electricfan
I logged in per the instructions, after changing the setting to 30% in my app. But it didn't seem to do anything good. The app reported a "backup reserve" of 23.05%, a number I have no recollection of ever entering. I clicked everywhere it would let me, except the "Stop Powerwall" button. Nowhere did I see anything I could change about the reserve percentage, and it didn't jump to 30%. My phone is connected to my home network, which the backup gateway has a direct ethernet cable connection to. Probably something I'm doing stupidly, sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_3592.JPG
    IMG_3592.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3593.JPG
    IMG_3593.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 41
I logged in per the instructions, after changing the setting to 30% in my app. But it didn't seem to do anything good. The app reported a "backup reserve" of 23.05%, a number I have no recollection of ever entering. I clicked everywhere it would let me, except the "Stop Powerwall" button. Nowhere did I see anything I could change about the reserve percentage, and it didn't jump to 30%. My phone is connected to my home network, which the backup gateway has a direct ethernet cable connection to. Probably something I'm doing stupidly, sorry.

Once logged in the Gateway UI, click summary.

If the setting is not the same as the one you recently put in the App - log out of the Gateway, and back IN the Gateway UI.

It captures the latest App setting right away from my experience.

• Informative
Reactions: Electricfan
If you want to find out around the time your gateway update the settings, after you change it in the app, go to your gateway UI /api/sitemaster. e.g., if you gateway ip is 10.10.1.1, then https://10.10.1.1/api/sitemaster.

One of the returned field is uptime (in seconds). Once it receives a new setting, it will reset the uptime to 0. Then you can calculate it backward to find out around what time on the hour your gateway receives the new setting.

In addition, I notice that if the gateway receives the new reserve % setting, but your powerwall is already passed that point, it will not stop discharging, and will continue to discharge until it hits the previous reserve %.

If I am home and I want it to stop discharge right the way, I usually flip the powerwall breaker (not the switch) and then set the reserve just below the current %. Once I know the gateway receives the new %, I will turn the breaker back on.