Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleanest solution for USB cables from cigarette lighter jack to the front?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the cleanest solution that's been found to route USB cables from the cigarette lighter jack to the front? Also, is there a way to keep the center console closed and have cables running out of it (so a passenger can hold their phone while charging)?

I did this and part of my XM-Radio install. The cable was run on the passenger side by removing the center console side panels (they pop off), unscrewing the side rails, and also popping off the cover for the cup holder. You can directly access the wires to the cigaret lighter and connect directly there. You can hide the cable along the passenger side and replace the rails and panels. The extended cigaret lighter supports 4-high power USB ports and 3-12V ports (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074QJRQ3V/). I cut the 12V plug with the voltage display off and reused it to power my XM-Radio. This is installed below the flip up phone holder.
upload_2018-10-7_13-7-46.jpeg

(XM Radio for reference. Cables and tuner attached behind)
XM.png

Last edited:
I did this and part of my XM-Radio install. The cable was run on the passenger side by removing the center console side panels (they pop off), unscrewing the side rails, and also popping off the cover for the cup holder. You can directly access the wires to the cigaret lighter and connect directly there. You can hide the cable along the passenger side and replace the rails and panels. The extended cigaret lighter supports 4-high power USB ports and 3-12V ports (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074QJRQ3V/). I cut the 12V plug with the voltage display off and reused it to power my XM-Radio. This is installed below the flip up phone holder.
View attachment 341690
View attachment 341692

Interesting! Got any pictures during the install? Specifically, where do the wires go when leaving the center console and where does it reenter the phone console area?

Edit: Or are you saying that you tapped in to the the cigarette lighter wires (behind the port) and split them?

Interesting! Got any pictures during the install? Specifically, where do the wires go when leaving the center console and where does it reenter the phone console area?

Edit: Or are you saying that you tapped in to the the cigarette lighter wires (behind the port) and split them?
Yes, I taped into the wires. They are located under the cup holder top cover.

I don’t have any pictures. I’ll have to disassemble everything to take them.

View attachment 341690
View attachment 341692
Are you using a FM or BT transmitter for XM? How is the sound quality?
Sorry OP for going off topic .

Are you using a FM or BT transmitter for XM? How is the sound quality?
I'm using bluetooth, but from my iPhone. I am using the line out of the XM Commander module with a Rube Goldberg setup: XM Line out -> Griffin iMic (USB audio device) -> Apple USB camera adapter to Lighting out -> iPhone -> Microphone App. This allows me to listen to XM via the car's Bluetooth and also be able to use my phone for calls. The satellite antenna was fairly easy to route without removing any panels. It's residing under the rear window shelf attached to a small fabricated metal plate. I need to do a proper writeup of this with pictures.

Reactions: vletnguyen
Does tapping in to the existing wires and/or drilling in to the console like @lairdb's solution void the warranty at all?

To be fair, it's Jon Osborne's solution; I just like it.

Interesting, so essentially if the 12v connector breaks it's not covered since you tapped in to the wires that feed it but everything else should still be. Are we sure that those wires don't feed anything else?

I don't believe anyone is certain, but according to my lay understanding of Magnusson-Moss they would have to argue that your modification had caused the failure of the thing for which you were requesting warranty coverage. Or, instead of twinning the existing lighter socket, you could run a new circuit from the VCLEFT connection identified by @Ingineer. Don't think I'd bother, personally.

Interesting, so essentially if the 12v connector breaks it's not covered since you tapped in to the wires that feed it but everything else should still be. Are we sure that those wires don't feed anything else?
The wires I tapped into are connected to a plug which plugs into the lighter socket. So in essence, it's no different than using the lighter socket directly. From the owner's manual:
The power socket is suitable for accessories requiring up to 12A continuous draw (16A peak).
I would think this is a dedicated circuit since it provides this much current.

If you are uncomfortable in tapping directly into the lighter socket wiring, you can just plug into the socket and loop the wire up and under the cup holder plate (once it's removed).