Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking noise at low speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 model y long range has a continuous clicking noise when driving forward and reverse at low speeds. I just noticed this not too long ago and can only hear from the outside or windows down. Anyone else experience this? No aero covers on and have read it could be the axle needing lubricant and torque?will take into service next week just seeing if anyone else experienced this. Thanks

I've similar issue and I'm trying to create service request. The app says estimated labor charges for 1 hour is $195. Do I need to pay labor charges even if it's issue is covered under vehicle warranty?

I've similar issue and I'm trying to create service request. The app says estimated labor charges for 1 hour is $195. Do I need to pay labor charges even if it's issue is covered under vehicle warranty?

funny, I'm having the issue again. I scheduled my appt a couple days ago and they are charging me $195 as well lol. This isn't the first time theyve put numbers. All my cars were under warranty when taken to tesla and they haven't charged me 1 penny. I wouldn't worry about it. If under warrany you won't have to pay

funny, I'm having the issue again. I scheduled my appt a couple days ago and they are charging me $195 as well lol. This isn't the first time theyve put numbers. All my cars were under warranty when taken to tesla and they haven't charged me 1 penny. I wouldn't worry about it. If under warrany you won't have to pay

That's when they agree that there's actually an issue, and are willing to fix it...

Hi Supwitlo, my new Model Y has the same clicking sound when driving at low speeds (<30mph) and windows down.
I found my issue is related to the wheel covers. If I remove the wheel covers, the clicking sounds will be gone.
The reason seems to be the wheel cover knocking the wheel when the winds passing through.
I have brought up this issue to Tesla Sunnyvale Service Center and they told me this is a known issue and happened to many Tesla cars.
They don't have a good fix for now but they suggest to try the following thing:
(1) Remove the wheel covers and put them back on at different wheels. Try different combinations to see if the sound gets smaller.
(2) Keep driving and sometimes the sound will be gone by itself.

Hope it helps~

Hi Supwitlo, my new Model Y has the same clicking sound when driving at low speeds (<30mph) and windows down.
I found my issue is related to the wheel covers. If I remove the wheel covers, the clicking sounds will be gone.
The reason seems to be the wheel cover knocking the wheel when the winds passing through.
I have brought up this issue to Tesla Sunnyvale Service Center and they told me this is a known issue and happened to many Tesla cars.
They don't have a good fix for now but they suggest to try the following thing:
(1) Remove the wheel covers and put them back on at different wheels. Try different combinations to see if the sound gets smaller.
(2) Keep driving and sometimes the sound will be gone by itself.

Hope it helps~

They don't have wheel covers on in their video. The follow up solution, was that there was debris stuck in the brake rotor area.

Something similar happening to mine right now too.

Is this the same issue?
Tesla got back to me and said it's the wheel covers. How are the wheel covers making that noise? Doesn't compute.

Screenshot_20231104-155323.png

Really common for a pebble to get stuck between the brake rotor and dust shield. This happens on all cars. I would check this before bringing the car in for service.

Block your tires with a piece of wood and make sure you are on a level surface so the car does not roll away. Jack up the wheel making the nose. Make sure the car is prevented from rolling forward or backwards by blocking the tires and put the car in neutral or tow mode and spin the wheel by hand. If you hear the noise it's not a suspension or a bushing (the car is not bouncing). Take the tire off and make sure none of the weights on the inside of the wheel are rubbing the brake caliper. Then look at the brake rotor, there is a metal disk shield covering the back and a small gap between the shield and the rotor itself. See if you have a pebble or debris back there. Don't put your head or body under the vehicle.

I had a pebble stuck in the brake shield a few weeks ago. Stopped at the SC. Mechanic used a tool that kinda looked like a screwdriver but was bent 90° at the end. He hooked the shield with that tool and pulled it back a little, and the pebble (was more like a small rock) fell out to the ground. It already had a crazy notch edged into it ....
Se he did that in literally 5 seconds, no jacking up, no wheel removal.

Reactions: cdub