Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change Denial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Someone must stop it, can't have TX beat CA in renewables. LOL
Trump's legacy: propping up polluters during a pandemic
As part of its fiscal stimulus package, the US allocated nearly $100 billion to support different energy types. Over $72 billion flowed to fossil fuels, the vast majority of which went to airline companies. He will shut down any progress and stifle all work on stopping climate change, which is really about fossil fuel production and the companies that do that have done next to nothing to cut emissions.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
Reactions: mspohr
Think everyone considering solar should be adding and maxing Powerwalls counts
Hoping VPP utility availability spreads and enables more revenue streams for us.

In the north east VPP is in Mass, VT and I think CT and RI

It's too bad Tesla does not have a V2G Wall Charger that we can plug in and use during the morning and evening peaks when our cars are in the garage. Imagine, coming home from work, plug in your Tesla, house runs off the Tesla for a few hours, recharge overnight, runs your house after you wake until you drive out.

Reactions: mspohr
ERCOT report reveals possible rotating power outage scenarios this fall

"Despite cooler temperatures, the so-called “shoulder months” of the fall and spring seasons are when gas and coal-fired power plants historically are offline the most. Much like an old automobile, the antiquated thermal generating plants need routine maintenance, and shoulder months provide the best time of year to accomplish that."

?!? I thought fossil fuel plants are supposed to be 100% uptime? Maybe Texas needs more renewables. LOL

Guys, don’t shoot the messenger

last night in New England there was a public forum reviewing the large scale wind farms being installed over the fragile ocean areas. No oppiniom by me, but was educated by the over water controversy wind turbine install and operation have

How old is this presentation? Seems as grid batteries get deployed, the NG problem goes away. Hey, isn't that the point of the world's first Tesla Battery in Australia, is that like 10 years old ago? ROI for battery gets even better as battery prices continue to drop.

I think Step 1 is for everyone to get rooftop solar + home battery (VPP). VPP can help balance the grid, eliminating the need for NG to grid balance - the least fuel efficient use of the NG plant.

Reactions: RSpanner
How old is this presentation? Seems as grid batteries get deployed, the NG problem goes away. Hey, isn't that the point of the world's first Tesla Battery in Australia, is that like 10 years old ago? ROI for battery gets even better as battery prices continue to drop.

I think Step 1 is for everyone to get rooftop solar + home battery (VPP). VPP can help balance the grid, eliminating the need for NG to grid balance - the least fuel efficient use of the NG plant.
Live streamed last night
I’m with you on the advice
But solar won’t cover us 100%
And according to this preso off shore wind is not the right choice

Live streamed last night
I’m with you on the advice
But solar won’t cover us 100%
And according to this preso off shore wind is not the right choice

"no real plan for decommissioning" and "ratepayers foot the bill for decommissioning" - isn't that how every power generation system is paid for, like all those NEW gas plants that are being installed instead of grid battery?!?

Offshore wind tend to be more consistent throughout the day & night compared to Onshore wind. Also, it can double as a site for ocean seafood farming.

Rooftop solar + old EV on your front lawn configured for V2H will let you power your home with 100% solar year round in some regions. ;)

Oh, and the comparison to a car driving on the highway... well, doesn't a hybrid get better MPG in the city vs highway? Also, doesn't BEV efficiency skyrocket driving in the city vs highway? I think it's obvious what the right solution is. So what we need is solar+wind plus enough grid battery to get us through periods of low production - and only fire up the NG plant as needed, meaning only when renewable production is low (and projected to be low for much longer) and
batteries are almost depleted. Then NG can run for long periods to feed the community and also charge the battery... not much different than the concept of a PHEV.

"Is your research peer reviewed" "No". So their paper is no peer reviewed cannot be trusted. My paper not peer reviewed can be trusted. If anything, this presentation needs to be PEER REVIEWED. LOL

Last edited:
"no real plan for decommissioning" and "ratepayers foot the bill for decommissioning" - isn't that how every power generation system is paid for, like all those NEW gas plants that are being installed instead of grid battery?!?

Offshore wind tend to be more consistent throughout the day & night compared to Onshore wind. Also, it can double as a site for ocean seafood farming.

Rooftop solar + old EV on your front lawn configured for V2H will let you power your home with 100% solar year round in some regions. ;)

Oh, and the comparison to a car driving on the highway... well, doesn't a hybrid get better MPG in the city vs highway? Also, doesn't BEV efficiency skyrocket driving in the city vs highway? I think it's obvious what the right solution is. So what we need is solar+wind plus enough grid battery to get us through periods of low production - and only fire up the NG plant as needed, meaning only when renewable production is low (and projected to be low for much longer) and
batteries are almost depleted. Then NG can run for long periods to feed the community and also charge the battery... not much different than the concept of a PHEV.

"Is your research peer reviewed" "No". So their paper is no peer reviewed cannot be trusted. My paper not peer reviewed can be trusted. If anything, this presentation needs to be PEER REVIEWED. LOL

Another benefit of having enough renewable + battery... you can take down your fossil fuel (mandated by law) plants down for maintenance (like in TX) without having to implement rollinig blackouts.

Reactions: DrGriz and mspohr
My takeaway from the presentation is all of our expectation, with sustainable energy fossil fuel replacements, we need to see measurable reductions in fossil fuel use.
Adding X number of EVs and X number of GW of solar, we should see X amount of fossil fuel use reduction.

My takeaway from the presentation is all of our expectation, with sustainable energy fossil fuel replacements, we need to see measurable reductions in fossil fuel use.
Adding X number of EVs and X number of GW of solar, we should see X amount of fossil fuel use reduction.

The problem is that they like to present OLD DATA. See that old guy in the audience who "worked" in renewables? It's like engineers of RAV4 EV saying EV will never make sense financially in 2023. Oh wait, they are saying that... Toyota. LOL

Reactions: DrGriz and mspohr