Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice article with a cute cartoon to go with it:
Why Climate Skeptics Are Wrong - Scientific American

+1; I'd been looking for that article... read it a few days ago and couldn't recall where it was...

Not only is there a very strong consensus for AGW AND a consilience of evidence supporting it... there is no alternative hypothesis. Opponents are literally all over the map.

- There is no warming
- Ok... there's warming but it's not CO2.
- It's CFCs
- Warming stopped 15 years ago
- It's the sun
- God is angry?
- It's Volcanoes
- Clouds are causing the warming
- Clouds are act as a negative feedback and counter the warming

On and on and on... it's amazing the mental gymnastics that ideologues go through in an attempt to avoid accepting reality....

KEY POINT;
“There is no cohesive, consistent alternative theory to human-caused global warming,”

On and on and on... it's amazing the mental gymnastics that ideologues go through in an attempt to avoid accepting reality....
If we, as individuals, are faced with a mammoth, potentially life-threatening situation that we simply don't believe can be solved, how do we get through the day and get any sleep at night? Easiest way is to simply convince yourself that the deadly problem doesn't exist, or will go away on its own.

I have to wonder how many deniers are in fact denying as a result of their personal cold and clinical reviews of available scientific papers, and how many simply deny because they don't want to believe it could be true... because it's too depressing, too scary, too hopeless... or even 'too economically disruptive'.

I would wager that most deniers are in the latter camp, and most of those fit in the 'worried about too economically disruptive' tent.

re: Scientific American article

" A consilience of inductions " - what an excellent term! Even if (1) I had to resort to a dictionary, and (2) in modern speech, I think the phrase borders on a tautology.

Doesn't matter: by itself "consilience" (adj: consilient) is a word to cherish and pack away for good use down the road.

re: Scientific American article

" A consilience of inductions " - what an excellent term! Even if (1) I had to resort to a dictionary, and (2) in modern speech, I think the phrase borders on a tautology.

Doesn't matter: by itself "consilience" (adj: consilient) is a word to cherish and pack away for good use down the road.

Just multiple independent lines of evidence pointing to the same conclusion...

- Murder Weapon
- Finger Prints
- Ballistics
- DNA
- Witnesses
- Motive
- Signed Confession

Yup; open and shut case.

Deniers be like, 'He was shot 3 times in the back... worst case of suicide I've ever seen.'

Mild-mannered Mod comment:

Not my Mod-locale, this thread, but as tempting as it is to bring politics into a forum with "Policy" in its title, please try to remember the strictures of the TMC site.

Am I dreaming here or is this really happening right now?

COP21: Climate deal text 'agreed' in Paris - BBC News

ClimateDeal.PNG

If we, as individuals, are faced with a mammoth, potentially life-threatening situation that we simply don't believe can be solved, how do we get through the day and get any sleep at night? Easiest way is to simply convince yourself that the deadly problem doesn't exist, or will go away on its own.

I have to wonder how many deniers are in fact denying as a result of their personal cold and clinical reviews of available scientific papers, and how many simply deny because they don't want to believe it could be true... because it's too depressing, too scary, too hopeless... or even 'too economically disruptive'.

I would wager that most deniers are in the latter camp, and most of those fit in the 'worried about too economically disruptive' tent.
From my experience, most people seem to live very busy "day-to-day" lives. It's all they can do to go to work, come home, look after junior, sleep, do it all again. Climate change is not on their radar...and if it is, it's FAR down the list of "important issues". Very few of my friends/family/neighbours understand what's at stake. I suspect most of the TMC community shares a similar experience?

Very few of my friends/family/neighbours understand what's at stake. I suspect most of the TMC community shares a similar experience?

Sort of... I suspect that my friends and family simply patronize me to make things tolerable... most of my co-workers are pretty mired in denial... kind of sad seeing as we work in the nuclear industry which stands to benefit substantially with strong carbon legislation.

I'm curious which camp these guys fit in:

Ktown on Twitter:

CV_8rRcWwAAM_up.jpg

HOW TO HAVE A DISCUSSION WITH A SKEPTIC

If you are like me, some of the people with whom you interact may have quite different views from yours regarding the effect human activities have on our climate and, more generally, on the global environment. Some of them are skeptical in the true sense of the word but most are, for understandable reasons, in various stages of denial.

There is nothing new or particularly revealing about the above. However, I have found that a gentle persuasion via the use of small nudgings can be more productive than any amount of grandstanding or lofty pronouncements. Earlier this week, however,r I discovered a trenchant piece in Scientific American that I urge all to read. For me, it effectively encapsulates the consilience* of evidence we should use in any discussions with a skeptic...or denier.
l
*There: I got to use that terrific word I learned from this article.

Here is a snippet from the article's most powerful paragraph; for copyright reasons I'll let you upload the rest of the article as the subsequent two paragraphs join the first in the most prominent place in my office bulletin board.

From Why Climate Skeptics are Wrong, or Why Climate Skeptics are Wrong By Michael Sherman on December 1, 2015

...there is a convergence of evidence from multiple lines of inquiry—pollen, tree rings, ice cores, corals, glacial and polar ice-cap melt, sea-level rise, ecological shifts, carbon dioxide increases, the unprecedented rate of temperature increase—that all converge to a singular conclusion. AGW doubters point to the occasional anomaly in a particular data set, as if one incongruity gainsays all the other lines of evidence. But that is not how consilience science works. For AGW skeptics to overturn the consensus, they would need to find flaws with all the lines of supportive evidence andshow a consistent convergence of evidence toward a different theory that explains the data.

Source:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-climate-skeptics-are-wrong/

Here is a snippet from the article's most powerful paragraph; for copyright reasons I'll let you upload the rest of the article as the subsequent two paragraphs join the first in the most prominent place in my office bulletin board.
That's excellent and I've already made use of it! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm curious which camp these guys fit in:
Not so much a camp as an IQ range... in this case, about the same as their shoe size. (I'd have used an appendage length instead of IQ but don't want to get reprimanded... ;-) )