Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did somebody say last year was also cold ?
2018 Was 4th Hottest Year on Record, NASA Finds

I guess everything is relative...
Last year was so hot that global land- and ocean-surface temperatures were 1.42 degrees Fahrenheit (0.79 degrees Celsius) above the 20th-century average, NOAA reported. Since 1880, when record-keeping began, only three years — 2016 (the highest, in part because of El Niño), 2015 and 2017 — were hotter.

2018 was world's fourth hottest year on record, scientists confirm

2018 fourth warmest year in continued warming trend, according to NASA, NOAA – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

The 10 Hottest Global Years on Record

But don't let facts get in the way of your zealous narrative...

Reactions: DriverOne
Last year had record cold in the NE...
For a short period of time.

Examples:
At 19 degrees on Thursday morning, it was the second-coldest Thanksgiving ever in New York City -- where it's still extremely cold this morning. More records could fall today.

A milder air mass is heading toward the region, and temps should jump back up over the weekend, into the 50s...
Northeast yearning for warmer weekend after record cold

• Last week's record lows in the Northeast have been replaced by record warmth this week.
  • Temperatures have increased by more than 60 degrees since late last week.
  • Record or near-record warmth is forecast in the South and East into Thursday.
Northeast Goes From Record Lows to Record Highs in Four Days as Temperatures Rise More Than 60 Degrees | The Weather Channel

Climate deniers have garnered far more media attention than prominent climate scientists over the years, fuelling public confusion and slowing the response to global warming, researchers reported Tuesday.

From 2000 through 2016, hundreds of academics, business people and politicians who doubted global warming or attributed rising temperatures to "natural" causes got 50 percent more ink than an equal number of top scientists, according to a study in Nature Communications, a peer-reviewed journal.

Even in a more select group of mainstream English language news outlets with high standards of evidence—from the New York Times and The Guardian to The Wall Street Journal and the Daily Telegraph—sceptics were still cited slightly more often.

In reality, there has long been overwhelming agreement among climate scientists that global warming—caused mainly by burning fossil fuels—poses a major threat to civilisation and much of life on Earth.

<snip>
Full article at:
Climate deniers get more media play than scientists: study

Reactions: ohmman
Let them sail yachts: Why Greta Thunberg and the environmental elite hate you

It’s just pathetic that leftist morons use this disturbed teenager to spread their elitist nonsense. AGW is a faith-based pagan religion. No scientific facts are allowed. That is obvious by the fact that I have posted lots of empirical data
that is totally ignored by the useful idiots here.

Cognitive dissonance and elitist hypocrisy are the hallmarks of this anti-science echo chamber.

Last edited:
Pathetic, Moron, Disturbed, and Nonsense are all accurate descriptors for your posts.

All you can do is hurl insults since you can't refute anything I post. I post scientific facts and I have embarrassed you repeatedly by daring to you prove me wrong which you have failed to do time and time again so I can see why you are so upset. Maybe we need to create a safe space here for defeated anti-science alarmists like yourself? :)

All you can do is hurl insults since you can't refute anything I post.

It’s just pathetic that leftist morons use this disturbed teenager to spread their elitist nonsense. AGW is a faith-based pagan religion. No scientific facts are allowed. That is obvious by the fact that I have posted lots of empirical data
that is totally ignored by the useful idiots here.

Cognitive dissonance and elitist hypocrisy are the hallmarks of this anti-science echo chamber.

Everyone of your comments contain insults, and you actually have the nerve to complain when I simply use your words against you? The only reason you haven't been banned is because of a very tolerant moderator.

Reactions: nwdiver
Coolest Year On Record Continues

The frequency of hot days has plummeted in the US over the last 80 years. This year will easily be the lowest on record after the last four months of the year get counted.

Percent-Of-Hot-Days-vs.-Year-At-All-1218-US-Historical-Climatology-Network-Stations-1.png

Undoubtedly the anti-science snowflakes here will insult me, Tony Heller, big oil, Trump, etc. but they will not be able to refute the TRUTH of this graph!

Getting back to posting real data rather than reading troll posts from stoned alarmists:

Whenever the question of adjustments comes up, there is usually a lot of arm waving, and talk of TOBS, station mix and so on. This manages to divert attention from what is going on, as these things cannot be easily quantified, or challenged. We are told, in effect, to “trust the computer”.

Well, we now have a specific example here with Luling, which cannot be so easily explained away.

Massive Temperature Adjustments At Luling, Texas

If any of you drugged-out science-deniers are actually interested in an objective look at the data this is another blatant example of incompetent and unnecessary data tampering by NASA/NOAA akin to the homogenization fraud that I exposed above with the Buenos Aires station data. The 'adjusted' temperature record that you alarmists love so much is clearly a total fraud.

On Sacrifice - Resilience

Raising the spectre of sacrifice is the all the vogue in current climate denier and delayer circles: it is representative of our current moment in time. Having comprehensively been routed on the denial of science, the minions of fossil fuel lobbies have moved on to delay the onset and diminish the scope of action. “Sacrifice” is one of their preferred bogeymen: any reduction in the use of fossil fuels is presented as unacceptably curtailing the standards of living of — well — anybody, really. They’re not fussy on that count. Rich people, poor people, people in developing countries or well-beyond-industrialized ones — it’s all much the same to them, as long as combustion of their products is in the supply chain. “Fine, fine, there is a climate crisis, indeed, we totally did lie about that part,” goes their narrative, “but are you really sure you want to sacrifice all the convenience brought to you by burning gas, oil and coal?” By equating action on climate with discomfort, they hope they can buy a few more deadly years for their business model. And they may well be right in this cynical calculation; goodness knows they’ve succeeded in the past.

Somehow, these very real, predicted and already occurring forms of harm caused by the fossil fuel industry’s insistence on producing their deadly products are never portrayed as a sacrifice, despite the fact that they will impoverish, harm or kill hundreds of millions of people around the world.

As we learn to see the world according to this new Copernican revolution, something very strange happens. We no longer view reducing consumption as a sacrifice – we see it as normal. Necessary. Something just obviously worth doing. And something else happens. We see the overproducers, the fossil fuel industries and their associates, as attacking the real heart of our world: we see them not as purveyors of beneficial products, but as death-bearing destroyers. This reversal of perception, more than anything else, contains within it the promise of a mobilizing force strong enough to face down the fossil fuel industry.

Perhaps, if we look around at this late and desperate hour, rather than sacrificing our own children, we might finally see the fossil fuel industries for what they are – and decide to sacrifice them instead.