Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, my comment was directed at the original bashing tone that was coming out at the start of this thread, that has since been edited/toned down. Discussing with calm is always good though.

I don't think the jury has settled the issue yet - still some debate going back and forth... As to whether its man caused, partial mix, or if its the normal ebb and flow of earth cycles (and man is unable to influence it). But what I do know, is that we can act prudently when and where we can.
As OP of this thread I don't really understand why you saw in my post a bashing tone. The Moderator intervened because my post was off topic and not because of other reasons.

Overall, the study found some 16 out of 31 tracked planetary vital signs, including greenhouse gas concentrations, ocean heat content and ice mass, set worrying new records.
The updated planetary vital signs we present largely reflect the consequences of unrelenting business as usual,” said Ripple, adding that “a major lesson from Covid-19 is that even colossally decreased transportation and consumption are not nearly enough and that, instead, transformational system changes are required.”

The study also found that ruminant livestock, a significant source of planet-warming gases, now number more than 4 billion, and their total mass is more than that of all humans and wild animals combined.

Reactions: Raffy.Roma

The lifestyles of around three average Americans will create enough planet-heating emissions to kill one person, and the emissions from a single coal-fired power plant is likely to result in more than 900 deaths, according to the first analysis to calculate the mortal cost of carbon emissions.

Major fires and resulting emissions are set to continually increase across the world’s forested regions, fueling more warming and more fires to come.

Climate crisis has cost Colorado billions – now it wants oil firms to pick up the bill

Boulder county estimates it will cost taxpayers $100m over the next three decades just to adapt transport and drainage systems to the climate crisis, and reduce the risk from wildfires.

The county government says the bill should be paid by those who drove the crisis – the oil companies that spent decades covering up and misrepresenting the warnings from climate scientists. It is suing the US’s largest oil firm, ExxonMobil, and Suncor, a Canadian company with its US headquarters in Colorado, to require that they “use their vast profits to pay their fair share of what it will cost a community to deal with the problem the companies created”.

The science has been there for years. The problem is that you have half the population who don’t want to believe in science because it means they couldn’t make as much money,” he said.

Our leaders look climate change in the eyes, and shrug | Hamilton Nolan

It is easy to imagine that a real live existential threat to our way of life would prompt any society to assume war footing and marshal everything it has to fight for survival. Unfortunately, this response only takes hold in actual war situations, where the threat is “other people that we can shoot and kill in glorious fashion”. When the threat comes not from enemy people, but from our own nature, we find it much harder to rise to the occasion. Where is the glory in recognizing the folly of our own greed and profligacy? Leaders are not elected on such things. We want leaders who will give us more, leading us ever onwards, upwards and into the grave.

As overwhelming and omnipresent as the climate crisis is, it is not the core issue. The core issue is capitalism. Capitalism’s unfettered pursuit of economic growth is what caused climate change, and capitalism’s inability to reckon with externalities – the economic term for a cost that falls onto third parties – is what is preventing us from solving climate change. Indeed, climate change itself is the ultimate negative externality: fossil-fuel companies and assorted polluting corporations and their investors get all the benefits, and the rest of the world pays the price. Now the entire globe finds itself trapped in the gruesome logic of capitalism, where it is perfectly rational for the rich to continue doing something that is destroying the earth, as long as the profits they reap will allow them to insulate themselves from the consequences.

Congratulations, free market evangelists: this is the system you have built. It doesn’t work. I don’t want to lean too heavily on the touchy-feely, Gaia-esque interpretation of global warming as the inevitable wounds of an omniscient Mother Earth, but you must admit that viewing humanity and its pollution as a malicious virus set to be eradicated by nature is now a fairly compelling metaphor. Homo sapiens rose above the lesser animals thanks to our ability to wield logic and reason, yet we have somehow gotten ourselves to a place where the knowledge of what is driving all these wildfires and floods is not enough to enable us to do anything meaningful to stop it. The keystone experience of global capitalism is to gape at a drought-fueled fire as it consumes your home, and then go buy a bigger SUV to console yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: eevee-fan
Such an event would have catastrophic consequences around the world, severely disrupting the rains that billions of people depend on for food in India, South America and West Africa; increasing storms and lowering temperatures in Europe; and pushing up the sea level in the eastern US. It would also further endanger the Amazon rainforest and Antarctic ice sheets.
The complexity of the AMOC system and uncertainty over levels of future global heating make it impossible to forecast the date of any collapse for now. It could be within a decade or two, or several centuries away. But the colossal impact it would have means it must never be allowed to happen, the scientists said.

Reactions: Raffy.Roma
Such an event would have catastrophic consequences around the world, severely disrupting the rains that billions of people depend on for food in India, South America and West Africa; increasing storms and lowering temperatures in Europe; and pushing up the sea level in the eastern US. It would also further endanger the Amazon rainforest and Antarctic ice sheets.
The complexity of the AMOC system and uncertainty over levels of future global heating make it impossible to forecast the date of any collapse for now. It could be within a decade or two, or several centuries away. But the colossal impact it would have means it must never be allowed to happen, the scientists said.
As I sald in the post originating this thread the collapse of the Gulf Stream WILL CAUSE A NEW ICE AGE!!
Please check post #1 of this thread!

Actually it's not a matter of a game in my opinion.
CO2 produced by ICE cars is responsible of temperature increasing in the world. As temperature increases ice at the North pole melts. As ice melts the salt concentration in the sea decreases. As the salt concentration in the sea decreases the current of the Channel decreases. When the current of the Channel will stop the North side of the Earth will get frozen.
Have you seen the film "The day after tomorrow"?
This film shows what will happen when the current of the Channel will stop. So driving pure electric is useful to save the Earth.

Do you still want to game?
Report post #1 for reference.

Uneasy about the climate crisis, at first Plunkett tried converting the estate to organic farming. When concern about the planet turned to alarm, he became vegan and decided to let a chunk of the estate revert to nature. He also resolved to block poachers and horse-mounted hunters: “I decided to go to war.” Plunkett patrolled the estate’s forests and meadows, confronted interlopers, filmed them, summoned police and threatened legal action. “I’ve been threatened to my face and on social media with being beaten up, having my tyres slashed, you name it.”

Plunkett says vindication has come in multiple forms. Before, the estate had just three types of grass, now it has 23. “I didn’t do it, the birds did.” Trees regenerated and multiplied – oak, ash, beech, Scots pine and black poplar. “I see a lot of saplings growing that I haven’t planted.” Lush, diverse vegetation attracted butterflies and other insects – “it’s like a buffet for them” – which drew more birds, including rarely seen woodpeckers, barn owls, red kites and sparrowhawks.

The sober assessment from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) features in a 42-page document known as the Summary for Policymakers.

It leads a series of reports that will be published over coming months and is the first major review of the science of climate change since 2013. Its release comes less than three months before a key climate summit in Glasgow known as COP26.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and mspohr
None of us experiences global mean temperature. We experience periods of heat and cold and all the stormy-noisiness of weather. It has been hard to distinguish events like storms and heat waves that have been juiced by climate change from ordinary bad luck that we humans have always experienced.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Transitioning to EVs is not enough. We need to reduce our energy consumption as well, particularly since 60 percent is still generated by burning fossils. Simple: vehicle mass not displaced = kWh not needed. People don't realize that if they can afford to 'fill up' a car that outweighs the usually single occupant 25-30 to one, that energy is way too cheap. Cheap energy = emissions = what kills the planet.

E8WFcJjWYAItlbW

Transitioning to EVs is not enough. We need to reduce our energy consumption as well, particularly since 60 percent is still generated by burning fossils. Simple: vehicle mass not displaced = kWh not needed. People don't realize that if they can afford to 'fill up' a car that outweighs the usually single occupant 25-30 to one, that energy is way too cheap. Cheap energy = emissions = what kills the planet.

E8WFcJjWYAItlbW

We can have both. One of the consequences of achieving 100% renewables is going to be MASSIVE.... MASSIVE curtailment. CA isn't even 50% yet AND they can export to other states to reduce curtailment. Even with that in May they wasted 327,000,000kWh worth of clean energy. The average EV only uses ~350kWh/mo. So the energy wasted in May because it had no place to go could have charged nearly 1M EVs and that number is going to grow exponentially as we approach the 100% target.

With smart charging in 5 years your 4 ton Cyber Truck could be running 90% on energy that would have just been wasted if you didn't have a Cyber Truck to charge....