TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

climate change - Is Elon too late?

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by thegruf, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

CO2 just hit new record 410ppm forecast to hit 500ppm by mid century.

I can only be ashamed and say sorry to my kids

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. Unpilot

Unpilot I would rather spend my remaining time Helping

Don't worry Scott Pruitt that fine honest EPA directer will take care of it /snark off

• Funny x 3
  3. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

You're too late. We all died from overpopulation decades ago when we hit 5 billion. Earth cannot support more than 5 billion people according to Universally Accepted Scientific Fact That Cannot Be Argued.

The reason you don't see all the skeltons is due to the nuclear holocaust since we have enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world 10,000 times over. It burned the bones to dust.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  4. Graffi

Graffi Member

Don't worry about over-population, the Globalist are hard at work to take care of that. If they have their way we will be in another World War very soon, this one with Nuclear Weapons on all sides. That should be able to reduce a few Billion from the earth's population, and with all their other efforts to reduce the ability to reproduce soon after the worlds population will be further reduced to their planned 500 million.

It is all carved in stone at the Georgia "Stone Hinge". Then all our problems will be solved.

And if we have solar we can still drive our Tesla cars without gas (that is if we are able to survive and the area of the country we live in is still usable).

5. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

BTW - Mauna Loa is interesting. We melted our shoes and watched lava flow into the Pacific. It smells strongly of sulfur and is due for another major eruption soon (geologically). It's the tallest mountain on earth IIRC if you measure it from it's base to it's peak? (most of it is underwater).
    A very strange place to measure average levels of anything. Europe has been industrialized far longer than the US, let's check there:

File:Greenhouse gas emissions (including international aviation, indirect CO2 and excluding LULUCF) trend, EU-28, 1990 - 2015 (Index 1990=100)-Fig1.png - Statistics Explained

• Like x 1
  6. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

Trivia Alert!!! All the warheads in the US inventory when set to KILL (they are dial-a-yield) could not wipe out North Korea. We could set them back a few hundred years, but we cannot target every population center. NK has 0.025 billion inhabitants.

7. Nuclear Fusion

My prediction is a 3 degree increase by 2100 from 1850. That’s a catastrophe.
    Well, if it’s any consolation, you can blame a large swathe of the populace (that must remain nameless). I do & I’m backed by peer reviewed science.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  8. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

OP:
    Humanity can always delay even more and make a bad situation worse.

9. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

You are aware that that when those kinds of statements were made, there was a corollary. Unless we improve the means of production of food. Guess what happened? We improved the means of production of food.

• Like x 2
  10. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

B1C294BE-3A10-4BD2-BA86-8E99E81B48B8.jpeg But we can add solar and then power our cars on sunshine as well. We we all do that we can start a sustainable trend.

11. DanCar

DanCar Member

What do you think is going to happen when it hits 500 ppm or 600 ppm?
    Are you kids not going to live very comfortable lives at 1000 ppm?
    Lets review some of the gloom and doom:
    Sea level rise. Mitigation: Through some dirt on the ground.
    It will get hot: Use AC or move to colder area. Mostly getting warmer in the cold areas though.
    Powerful storms: Build a stronger house.
    Deserts: The truth is the opposite. Earth has been getting greener for the past 35 years:
    * CO2 fertilization effect - Wikipedia
    Some more points to ponder:
    Increased farmland:
    Northward shift of the agricultural climate zone under 21<sup>st</sup>-century global climate change
    About being paranoid:

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
  12. SageBrush

I am sure you have NO idea just how foolish you are, or you just posted a very good troll.

• Like x 1
  13. nwdiver

nwdiver Well-Known Member

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  14. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

your naiivity is breathtaking, dangerous and sad

The fact that we can observe climate change within a lifetime should ring every possilbe alarm bell.
    Climate changes should be observable over millenia not a few decades.

As for desertifiaction If find this information
    The world’s deserts grow about 120,000 square kilometers annually.

CO2 is already at levels not seen for getting on for half a million years.
    More and more positive feedback mechanisms are being discovered suggesting we may already be past the tipping point.
    None of us truly know how the planet will react to such abrupt change, there is no precedent for the current situation

Irrespective of whether your utopian outcome is realised, the natural world around us is being decimated.
    Nature simply cannot adapt fast enough and once gone, is gone forever, and the world is a poorer place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like x 2
  15. Nuclear Fusion

It’s why voting should be weighted by IQ score & education level

16. jrad6515

jrad6515 Member

With all due respect, I am a triple degreed scientist and graduated at the top of my class. I am a climate change skeptic but I am open to evidence on either side. So do you think I shouldn’t be able to vote?

By the way, I have actually downloaded the temperature data for the last century and analyzed it myself. Have you done that?

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  17. Unpilot

Unpilot I would rather spend my remaining time Helping

And the results of your analysis is?

18. Sandollars

Sandollars I bleed Cardinal

There's always Mars :)

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  19. SageBrush

In what fields ?
    Do you have first author climate change publications in top tier, peer reviewed journals ?

If not, your opinion is as worthy as mine. The only difference is I know enough to listen to actual experts.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  20. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

#20 McRat, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Then the first and third most powerful US states could not vote and Australia would return back to it's original inhabitants.

Canada would be ruled by polar bears since they don't recognize natives as humans yet.

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1