Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it better to use auto climate control or should I adjust it manually to get a better range? I noticed that if I set same cabin temperature what is outside even then car will sometimes turn on AC.
This is somewhat dependent on the model year, and whether or not the car has a heat pump. But in either case, I really doubt you would be able to guess at driving economy better than the computer with its precise knowledge of all the driving and energy conditions. Kind of like, can you beat the economy of TACC. It is possible, of course, but the mental workload of hypermiling, and manual application of the go pedal, is unlikely to be worth the effort.

In both cases, I would let the computers do the best it can.

I really doubt you would be able to guess at driving economy better than the computer with its precise knowledge of all the driving and energy conditions. Kind of like, can you beat the economy of TACC. It is possible, of course, but the mental workload of hypermiling, and manual application of the go pedal, is unlikely to be worth the effort.

In both cases, I would let the computers do the best it can.
Teslas HVAC code has had a massive bug for 3+ years for both resistive cabin heater models as well as newer heat pump model cars where the cabin heater tends to always be used when only cooling is desired on the order of 300-1000 constant watts in resistive cabin heater models. This is not at all efficient. Unfortunately the only way to stop the cabin heater is to set the temp to LO and adjust the cabin temp using the fan speed.

Also if you are not a terrible driver most likely you will also beat out TACC with energy usage as the car tends to brake too late forcing hard slowdowns with friction brake usage even in chill mode.

Teslas HVAC code has had a massive bug for 3+ years for both resistive cabin heater models as well as newer heat pump model cars where the cabin heater tends to always be used when only cooling is desired on the order of 300-1000 constant watts in resistive cabin heater models. This is not at all efficient. Unfortunately the only way to stop the cabin heater is to set the temp to LO and adjust the cabin temp using the fan speed.

Also if you are not a terrible driver most likely you will also beat out TACC with energy usage as the car tends to brake too late forcing hard slowdowns with friction brake usage even in chill mode.
Well said and outspoken.

Reactions: beachmiles