Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate has been on a long while!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
Just got a notification “Climate has been on for an extended period of time”
Yes it was. Car was nice and toastie but hadn’t moved since Saturday!
I did use the heater on Friday but shut it off when I got home.
I’ve no idea how it got turned on.
Do we have phantom heating on top of phantom braking?

that’s a question I’ve been meaning to ask. If the heater is on, does it shut off when you park and lock the car?

Easy to tap the climate button in the widget or the app on iPhone accidentally

3622A24A-AE4A-471D-B395-3466CA89E3A1.jpeg

^
I always have to think about the state of the icons and what they are trying to tell me. Easy to get it wrong without thinking when (eg in above) the fan and lock show the state of the vehicle, but frunk shows the opposite, ie what operation hitting the button will achieve, ie open frunk. With the above, following on from the frunk control, its telling me that its going to turn off the fan and lock the car, which its not.

Exactly the same in the app, just more buttons/icons to confuse.

Reactions: spooksman
^
I always have to think about the state of the icons and what they are trying to tell me. Easy to get it wrong without thinking when (eg in above) the fan and lock show the state of the vehicle, but frunk shows the opposite, ie what operation hitting the button will achieve, ie open frunk. With the above, following on from the frunk control, its telling me that its going to turn off the fan and lock the car, which its not.

Exactly the same in the app, just more buttons/icons to confuse.

I'm glad Im not the only one to hesitate over the button representations! Most non-virtual buttons show what happens when you press them ... so it seems odd to press a button that shows the opposite.

The widget is a possible but I usually have app open at the Powerwalls so the car info isn’t showing.
The wife’s Apple Watch is a different affair...
We think that because of where the climate icon displays on the watch, she could have unwittingly turned it on when changing apps.
It was on again just now but not for long!
Will monitor it today

The widget is a possible but I usually have app open at the Powerwalls so the car info isn’t showing.
The wife’s Apple Watch is a different affair...
We think that because of where the climate icon displays on the watch, she could have unwittingly turned it on when changing apps.
It was on again just now but not for long!
Will monitor it today
Interested to read your post as I have experienced exactly the same sort of 'Phantom AC activation' with my M3 - twice! First time was a few months ago and the last time about two weeks ago, so definitely seen with different software versions, though prior to 2020.40.8

On both occasions it has happened I had parked and left my car in the garage and would swear that I had turned off the AC completely. Only to find later that the car had been running the AC for hours! First time I discovered this when entering the garage to fetch something and heard it. Last time I got a warning message pushed to my iPhone. Has resulted in me periodically checking of an evening whether the AC is on, via the Phone App.

No idea why this could have happened or how I could have accidentally activated the AC. I do have a Tesla App also on my Apple Watch that allows you to turn on the AC by pressing the watch face - maybe that could have happened by accident?

Interested to read your post as I have experienced exactly the same sort of 'Phantom AC activation' with my M3 - twice! First time was a few months ago and the last time about two weeks ago, so definitely seen with different software versions, though prior to 2020.40.8

On both occasions it has happened I had parked and left my car in the garage and would swear that I had turned off the AC completely. Only to find later that the car had been running the AC for hours! First time I discovered this when entering the garage to fetch something and heard it. Last time I got a warning message pushed to my iPhone. Has resulted in me periodically checking of an evening whether the AC is on, via the Phone App.

No idea why this could have happened or how I could have accidentally activated the AC. I do have a Tesla App also on my Apple Watch that allows you to turn on the AC by pressing the watch face - maybe that could have happened by accident?

I have also been getting phantom ac (I assume) over the last few months...I have been through everything and got to the stage where I switched the ac off on my personal setting and the easy entry setting before I got out. I have only caught it on a couple of times and usually a few minutes after I have left the car. But I know it must have been on more than that as I know there are times when I have lost big chunks of battery life whilst parked when I should have lost none.

I have also been getting phantom ac (I assume) over the last few months...I have been through everything and got to the stage where I switched the ac off on my personal setting and the easy entry setting before I got out. I have only caught it on a couple of times and usually a few minutes after I have left the car. But I know it must have been on more than that as I know there are times when I have lost big chunks of battery life whilst parked when I should have lost none.

That sounds like it might be a combination of battery 'recalibration' (allowing the battery % to fluctuate quite widely) and possibly cabin overheat protection and/or other vehicle thermal management.

A couple of releases back our car would occasionally run fans for what were imho an excessive amount of time, but that may have been climatic rather than version. Certainly cabin overheat protection was a regular over the summer, but didn't actually drain the battery too much. That can be checked in the car settings and was enabled by default during one of the software updates.

You got TeslaFi to try and narrow when it occurred via the raw data?

For example if the car was sleeping then the car woke up and climate on then most likely an accidental button press somewhere...