Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate setting from app - seat warmers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way not to automatically turn on all the seat warmers when turning on the heat from the Tesla app? I rarely have a passenger, and almost never have anyone in the back seat.

I realize that this is the most #firstworldproblem ever but I want to be as efficient with the battery as possible.

Is there a way not to automatically turn on all the seat warmers when turning on the heat from the Tesla app? I rarely have a passenger, and almost never have anyone in the back seat.

I realize that this is the most #firstworldproblem ever but I want to be as efficient with the battery as possible.
Not currently. Every time I turn on Climate remotely, I manually turn off all the seats and adjust the driver's seat. 11 taps <sigh>

Is this related to the temperature in the car, by any chance? My seat heaters do not come on automatically when I turn on the heat remotely through my app, unless I had them on previously. With that being said, "extremely cold" here at night is 31 degrees, and my car lives in an insulated / drywalled garage, so it is usually no colder than 45 in there at night.

My understanding was that the seat heaters are much more efficient than running the actual heater, and help contribute to warmer ambient air inside the car (raising the temperature inside the car faster than not having them on), so if the goal was "most efficient use of the battery in warming the car" thats why they come on when its "cold".

Both of you live places where it actually gets cold, so I believe the seat heaters come on to warm up the car faster (so you can turn off the heat if you want) thereby decreasing total battery usage in heating the car overall.

Thats what I got from reading around here, anyway, and it would explain why my seat heaters dont come on automatically (because its never REALLY "cold" here as people with real weather would know it, even though we bundle up like we are in the arctic if its colder than about 50 degrees, and thats all people talk about at work if its that "cold" :D ).

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Is this related to the temperature in the car, by any chance? My seat heaters do not come on automatically when I turn on the heat remotely through my app, unless I had them on previously. With that being said, "extremely cold" here at night is 31 degrees, and my car lives in an insulated / drywalled garage, so it is usually no colder than 45 in there at night.

My understanding was that the seat heaters are much more efficient than running the actual heater, and help contribute to warmer ambient air inside the car (raising the temperature inside the car faster than not having them on), so if the goal was "most efficient use of the battery in warming the car" thats why they come on when its "cold".

Both of you live places where it actually gets cold, so I believe the seat heaters come on to warm up the car faster (so you can turn off the heat if you want) thereby decreasing total battery usage in heating the car overall.

Thats what I got from reading around here, anyway, and it would explain why my seat heaters dont come on automatically (because its never REALLY "cold" here as people with real weather would know it, even though we bundle up like we are in the arctic if its colder than about 50 degrees, and thats all people talk about at work if its that "cold" :D ).
Typically, I just use the heated driver's seat and never use the HVAC on my commute to work. I almost never preheat my car since it is typically in the garage in the morning or has been sitting in the sun during the day. Yesterday, I did have a mobile service appointment at work and did preheat the car while I was waiting for the mobile service tech to arrive. I was reminded again about having to tap the screen 11 times to turn off the seats and adjust the driver's seat. You bring up a good point though. Do the seats really preheat? I'll get the FLIR camera out today and confirm!

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Typically, I just use the heated driver's seat and never use the HVAC on my commute to work. I almost never preheat my car since it is typically in the garage in the morning or has been sitting in the sun during the day. Yesterday, I did have a mobile service appointment at work and did preheat the car while I was waiting for the mobile service tech to arrive. I was reminded again about having to tap the screen 11 times to turn off the seats and adjust the driver's seat. You bring up a good point though. Do the seats really preheat? I'll get the FLIR camera out today and confirm!

Please do!!

I think this is an app bug. When I preheat the car all the seat warmers show on, but when I get in the car the only seat heaters on seem to be ones I left on from when I last drove the car. It would be interesting to know for sure...

Please do!!

I think this is an app bug. When I preheat the car all the seat warmers show on, but when I get in the car the only seat heaters on seem to be ones I left on from when I last drove the car. It would be interesting to know for sure...
We had a busy day but I'll try tomorrow. I'm thinking @DrSmile could be right. I had the same idea when 3.8.0 came out months ago. If it's a bug, I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet.

Not currently. Every time I turn on Climate remotely, I manually turn off all the seats and adjust the driver's seat. 11 taps <sigh>

When you activate climate from the APP you can then press and hold the drivers seat to turn off all the seat heaters at once.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
When I preheat my car, all seat warmers activate just like everyone has said. If I disable the front passenger seat warmer right away, all rear seat warmers automatically turn off on their own.

Does this happen for others?

I know the question is "from the Tesla app", but I was frustrated by slow connection times and started using a Tasker widget to pre-heat the car. I set the Tasker action to turn on heat and only the driver's seat-heater. I'm quite happy with the result (thoug I wish the stack app jsut worked better).

How do you know that the car is not trying to be as efficient as possible, and that Tesla determined that they could get better efficiency pre-heating the cabin by putting all the seats on low, vs. trying to heat the cabin with the main heater using the fan to try to circulate the cold air in the back seat back to the front to get it re-heated. I suspect that turning on all the seat heaters like that is intentionally because all in all it ends up using less energy that way.

Reactions: StealthP3D
According to the app (which again could be wrong), all the seats are heated. Clicking them all off (except for the driver seat), closing the app, then returning - shows them all back on again. I don't want the rear seat heaters on, as I have car seats with seat protectors, and there's no reason to trap that much heat in the seat - all being wasted.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
When I preheat my car, all seat warmers activate just like everyone has said. If I disable the front passenger seat warmer right away, all rear seat warmers automatically turn off on their own.

Does this happen for others?
This doesn't happen for me. I've had various behaviors and have yet to figure out any pattern.
For awhile if I kept the driver's seat pressed all the other seats would turn off. Now that doesn't happen any longer.
Temperature seems to have some influence on how warm the seats get but that's about the only behavior that seems predictable.

I had assumed that the car uses all seat heaters to heat the cabin, then once you enter the car, it immediately revers to your last setting.
I never compared the phone app seat heater settings to the car's setting after getting in but your post raised a great question. What I found consistently is that whatever seat heater settings I have on the phone app turn off as soon as I get in the car.

I checked the seats today, the app is correct, the seats heat up when preheating the car from the app even though they are not set to heat from the car directly. I guess this does preheat the cabin faster.

This is probably true if the car is very cold and you will be preheating for a long time.
But if you are just going to heat the drivers seat and blow some warm air for 4 or 5 min I think it is probably a waste to heat all the thermal mass in all the other seats.

This has been covered, but to be clear:
If it is cold enough in the car, and you use the app to turn on the heat, all the seats come on at low. When you enter the car, the "preheat" is turned off, and whatever heater settings you used the last time you drove, will be used in place of the preheater settings. Feature, not a bug.

I had assumed that the car uses all seat heaters to heat the cabin, then once you enter the car, it immediately revers to your last setting.
Correct.

What I found consistently is that whatever seat heater settings I have on the phone app turn off as soon as I get in the car.
Right.

Now... I can tell you that if I turn on the heat with the app, and I wish to turn OFF all the seat heaters... the app seems to get confused. I can tap them all off individually, but they seem to sometimes come right back on. Other times they stay off. I haven't quite figured out that part yet.