Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clogged Air Intake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First I apologized ahead of time. I really suck at searching this forum. Didn't find anything but I'm sure it's there.
I was cleaning Tobias today and for craps and giggles I pulled the 12V battery cover off just to snoop around. Upon inspection of the air intake the grates were completely covered in leaves. I pulled most out and shop vac'd the rest.
Has any one else had this issue?
We have had the bad sour odor and I have filters and cleaner on the way.

Regards,
Brad

Attachments

• 20190917_091953.jpg
    20190917_091953.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 304
Be glad it’s leaves and not these awful NC seed pods that get in every nook and cranny.

Common issue for anything regularly parked near trees. Some cars just do better than others at allowing that stuff to blow off while at speed.

Yep! The plastic cowl cover just pulls right up with a gentle tug. I installed the air flow vent cover last week.

That being said, putting back on is easy, but make sure you get the center snaps back in place. The outside ones snap on super easy, and it seems like it's snug, but really the center ones you gotta give it a quick hard push.

First I apologized ahead of time. I really suck at searching this forum. Didn't find anything but I'm sure it's there.
I was cleaning Tobias today and for craps and giggles I pulled the 12V battery cover off just to snoop around. Upon inspection of the air intake the grates were completely covered in leaves. I pulled most out and shop vac'd the rest.
Has any one else had this issue?
We have had the bad sour odor and I have filters and cleaner on the way.

Regards,
Brad

so will this help w/ the bad sour odor or is the problem more of the deeper filter "mold"/ozone tx from other thred?

Last edited:
They are probably all the same. Also check this video showing a DYI solution using a wire mesh. I think it's actually better than the perforated plastic pieces since it will not reduce airflow as much.

good point about airflow. Similar to AC filters cheaper ones are better since they don't restrict air flow as much=less strain on system