Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cloth seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
I hope I can get cloth seats on a fully optioned Model 3.
For some strange reason, US car companies tend to assume you want leather if you get other options.
In Europe, and many other places, it is more usual to see cloth on a higher end vehicle.

Some related threads from the Model S forum section:
Cloth or Leather seats
Cloth Seats vs. Leather Seats

The cloth seats on eGolf look fairly nice:
egolf-clotch1.png

BMW i3 cloth:
i3-cloth.png

Cloth seats are actually considered an upgrade from the synthetic leather that is base in many luxury cars, at least in non US markets (where cloth is seen as a step below real and fake leather). However it's pretty high end cloth.

I would be very surprised if the seating surfaces on the base Model 3 are cloth as none of the competitors in the entry luxury segment offer anything other than leatherette as a starting point and Elon has repeatedly said the Model 3 will be "nicer than anything else" in the segment.

Now personally I love how cloth seats feel but I hate how the hold up over time and I especially hate how in the dry climate I live in they give you a nice electric shock every time you exit the vehicle.

The cloth seats in my other vehicles have always held up very well...
Here is a pic I just took of the seats in my 1988 MR2 (with 130K mile on the ODO):
mr2-1a.png

No tears, rips, holes, or anything. Seems like new still.
This car is always parked on the street. Never garaged.

Good quality cloth can be very durable.

And I never get any static shocks from them. Maybe there is enough humidity where I live so that isn't a problem. Or maybe some seat materials are less prone to static build-up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luke42
+1000.
I've been saying this on every configuration thread/poll that's been put up here in the hopes it gets noticed by the mother ship, and there does seem to be a lot of folks here who also want a properly bolstered sport seat in cloth. The last car I had that in was a 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V, which had fabulous cloth Recaros. Here's hoping we get such an option on the 3.

I am curious on how others think of microfiber cloth for the seats?

My wife has light gray microfiber cloth seats in her honda crv from 5 years ago and it is hold up well. It looks clean where as my nissan leafs black cloth seats shows the dirt and crumbs more vividly and looks more dirty.

I probably won't get leather because I don't want the maintenance and dont want the temperature shock of leather seats. No animal killings is a bonus.

I am curious on how others think of microfiber cloth for the seats?

I own a cat. No microfiber anything for me. That stuff bonds to cat hair and you can not get it out.

I also don't want "alcantara" although I know its all the rage in sports cars. We have it in our Audi and it always looks a bit unkept due to the butt prints that get left sitting on it.

We have a Nissan Leaf with a cloth interior and it's great! I have had leather for so long that it seemed like a bit of a downgrade at first; however, the Leaf even has seat heaters in which seems unusual for cloth interiors of my past. With cloth, you really wouldn't need cooled seats in the summer. Wear is pretty good too, but those photos of the 1980's MR2 are impressive!