Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cloud based car sentry mode & dash cam footage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seem to remember reading in one of the last updates that Tesla is now uploading footage to the cloud as a backup to the USB.
Anyone been able to see or view cloud footage or did I not read that correctly?
Also any way to view the footage in the car or do you need to plug the USB into a pc view?

Seem to remember reading in one of the last updates that Tesla is now uploading footage to the cloud as a backup to the USB.
Also any way to view the footage in the car or do you need to plug the USB into a pc view?

You may have seen something about the raspberry Pi that some owners use to do this. It’s a miniature computer that looks like a usb memory to the Tesla, but has WiFi so it can upload camera footage to your home or the cloud and can have music audio books etc written to the car.

I’ve not seen anyone using it but I suspect a Sandisk connect might be able to do the same without the home brew technical bits of a raspberry Pi.

You may have seen something about the raspberry Pi that some owners use to do this. It’s a miniature computer that looks like a usb memory to the Tesla, but has WiFi so it can upload camera footage to your home or the cloud and can have music audio books etc written to the car.

I've been using the Raspberry PI setup now for a couple of months and it works like a charm. When I arrive at home the PI connects to my WiFi network and moves all Sentry Footage (SavedClips content, if any) to my Synology NAS and removes them from the PI. When completed I get a notification via Pushover. It also allows me to move music files from my NAS to the PI on the secondary partition I've created specifically for music just by putting the mp3 in a specific folder on my NAS that the PI checks for content. Never a full 'USB stick' because of Sentry. And when I arrive in the car during a trip and see a Sentry event and want to investigate, I activate the HotSpot feature on my phone with the same SSID and pw as my home environment so that I have a connection between the PI and my phone that allows me to connect to the webserver on the PI (from the phone) and view the Sentry Footage instantly. The latter function also allows me to upload the footage to my Google Drive via this hotspot. Last but not least I can also connect to the webserver on the PI when at home and view the RecentClips footage and/or upload to Google Drive (in case you think something happened recently (< last hour) and want to review.

Indeed you do need to spend some time installing the PI, but the instructions are pretty straightforward and when successful it's a real bonus feature to the car (at least for the time being until Tesla improves it's Sentry functionality).

I've been using the Raspberry PI setup now for a couple of months and it works like a charm. When I arrive at home the PI connects to my WiFi network and moves all Sentry Footage (SavedClips content, if any) to my Synology NAS and removes them from the PI. When completed I get a notification via Pushover. It also allows me to move music files from my NAS to the PI on the secondary partition I've created specifically for music just by putting the mp3 in a specific folder on my NAS that the PI checks for content. Never a full 'USB stick' because of Sentry. And when I arrive in the car during a trip and see a Sentry event and want to investigate, I activate the HotSpot feature on my phone with the same SSID and pw as my home environment so that I have a connection between the PI and my phone that allows me to connect to the webserver on the PI (from the phone) and view the Sentry Footage instantly. The latter function also allows me to upload the footage to my Google Drive via this hotspot. Last but not least I can also connect to the webserver on the PI when at home and view the RecentClips footage and/or upload to Google Drive (in case you think something happened recently (< last hour) and want to review.

Indeed you do need to spend some time installing the PI, but the instructions are pretty straightforward and when successful it's a real bonus feature to the car (at least for the time being until Tesla improves it's Sentry functionality).

Cheers, have you got a link to a how to guide for dummies please?

“Sentry Model will send recorded footage to Tesla for temporary backup and feature improvement. You can enable or disable this collection any time via the DATA SHARING video clip setting in Controls > Settings > Safety & Security. Please refer to your Owner’s Manual for more information.”

Tesla refines Sentry Mode with mobile app activation, automatic video backups

Sounds good, I’ve already set up my pi & synology NAS, just need the car... o_O

You've got something exciting to look forward to. Primarily the car of course, secondary all the cool gadgets that comes along. And since you've been able to setup your PI And NAS already, I urge you to take look at another GitHub project: lephisto/tesla-apiscraper and Lunars/tesla-apiscraper. Allows you to setup your own Teslafi on your NAS using Docker. Keep all your car data to yourself, but enjoy the statistics. Have Fun!

You've got something exciting to look forward to. Primarily the car of course, secondary all the cool gadgets that comes along. And since you've been able to setup your PI And NAS already, I urge you to take look at another GitHub project: lephisto/tesla-apiscraper and Lunars/tesla-apiscraper. Allows you to setup your own Teslafi on your NAS using Docker. Keep all your car data to yourself, but enjoy the statistics. Have Fun!

Thanks @Vipercat that’s absolutely brilliant! I liked the idea of Teslafi but didn’t want to handover my keys in every sense. I was going to roll my own for fun but this will save a load of time & effort, will add this to my collection of synology docker containers!!

Hopefully won’t be too much effort to hook this into Node Red.

I’m going to install a pair of SDS011 particulate sensors to measure internal and external air quality for the M3, will patch those in using a couple of sonoff basics flashed with Tasmota. Will set those to report back to the pi (might need a second pi as I don’t want to accidentally take Sentry offline if I’m fiddling) and dump the data to the NAS / live stream the air quality. Going to install a spare UniFi AP in the car for IoT usage, I’m hoping not to have more than a few devices needing WiFi in the ~mobile lab~ I mean car.

I suspect at this rate my M3 will end up looking like the BTTF DeLorean, should have got the MX.... ;)

• Love
Reactions: pmg102 and Roy W.
I’m going to install a pair of SDS011 particulate sensors to measure internal and external air quality for the M3, will patch those in using a couple of sonoff basics flashed with Tasmota.

Here is one of my air quality sensors - sometimes its better to be blissfully aware of what you are following ;)

mitchett loop-aerial-jumbotron.png

Here is one of my air quality sensors - sometimes its better to be blissfully aware of what you are following ;)

Great stuff @VanillaAir_UK - no surprise junctions appear to be the worst places. You're clearly sampling quite often, at home I only sample every 5 minutes, obviously driving I will need to increase that quite a bit to get meaningful data.

Sweet! Can you share more details of your setup and hardware/software you used to do this?

If you could that would be great as I need to get mine onto maps, ideally produce a Strava style heat map that can be viewed in time as well as space. My current sensors are all static so obviously not a lot of point for the mapping overlay ;) Also need a dedicated GPS in the car to get the location.

At home I use SDS011 sensors with Sonoff Basic running Tasmota that I feed into InfluxDB, output goes to Grafana..

Hardware cost is ~ 15GBP

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 09.33.16.png

Most of the indoor spikes are due to cooking / toaster, yesterday's graph:

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 09.44.23.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 09.44.31.png