Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunk from brake pedal on release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

koala

Mar 30, 2023
Norway
Hey,

Just got my new MY and noticed that there is a clunking noise when releasing the brake pedal. It seems to be within the pedal’s mechanism since it occurs at all times regardless if I press and release the pedal in parking mode or while driving. I would say it is a clearly noticeable clunking/clicking sound and I can also feel the actual clunk in my foot in the precise moment when I release the pedal to its resting position.

Unsure if this is a normal sound for a MY, any input?

Thanks!

Normal. The service rep told me it was a known concern, had to do with the brake mechanism down there. Tends to activate whenever the car uses the brakes, as when regeneration is limited. Sometimes will also make the noise when you are on cruise control and the car has to rapidly slow down due to traffic.

Normal. The service rep told me it was a known concern, had to do with the brake mechanism down there. Tends to activate whenever the car uses the brakes, as when regeneration is limited. Sometimes will also make the noise when you are on cruise control and the car has to rapidly slow down due to traffic.
Alright, great you had this checked up with Tesla. Got to live with it then. Thanks for responding!

Dangerous online assumption ;) about a brake pedal mechanism "clunk." My MYLR, Fremont build, 44k miles, doesn't have any sort of brake "clunk."

Can you post an audio clip?

I'd have the SC check it out

There's an option to turn on friction braking in settings. It'll be used primarily when the battery is cold and regen is limited. Sorry, I don't recall what the setting is called, but you're going to see this in Norway and North Dakota in the winter, probably not in Texas. I get something like that every day these days.

Turn it off and see if the noise and vibration goes away.