Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunking noise on Model 3 PD+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my Model 3PD+ on Monday and noticed a weird clunking noise. It happens when I accelerate from a complete stop or when I decelerate. I stopped at the SC and the technician told me it was the breaking pads shifting position in the calipers and this was normal. The noise should go away in couple of hundred miles once they have been worn out.

See the video to hear about it. What do you think? Did you have the same issue?

IMG_4441.MOV

Got my Model 3PD+ on Monday and noticed a weird clunking noise. It happens when I accelerate from a complete stop or when I decelerate. I stopped at the SC and the technician told me it was the breaking pads shifting position in the calipers and this was normal. The noise should go away in couple of hundred miles once they have been worn out.

See the video to hear about it. What do you think? Did you have the same issue?

IMG_4441.MOV

I believe I hear a similar noise, just slightly fainter and especially on acceleration from full stop. I am at 800 miles.

I recently noticed a clunking sound when decelerating (regent breaking) less than 10mph. Front passenger side.

I though something was moving around in the glovebox, but nope, sounds like it’s suspension or drivetrain related.

Interested to hear how yours is resolved.

2000 miles, 67xxx build, D(nonP)

I stopped by the SC on Monday and they told me they had to involve engineering to diagnose the issue. They did order a new front drive unit and told me they should have sorted it out by end of the week. Let's see if they manage to do it that fast. Until then, they gave me a S75D :D

I recently noticed a clunking sound when decelerating (regent breaking) less than 10mph. Front passenger side.

I though something was moving around in the glovebox, but nope, sounds like it’s suspension or drivetrain related.

Interested to hear how yours is resolved.

2000 miles, 67xxx build, D(nonP)

I have the same loud clunking noise happening occasionally -- both front and rear, so it's definitely motors. ~3000 miles, 68xxx build, D(nonP) too!

I have not experienced any problems but I am keeping a close eye on it. If you learn more about this I'd appreciate it if you send me a message. I'll try to remember to do the same for you.

Thanks!

Reactions: Oyinko
did tesla figure out what the noise is? i just picked up the 3pd and i am experiencing the same clunking noise
They did replace the front drive unit but still experiencing a similar noise. They told me that some noise is within specs but mine was clearly out of specs before, hence they decided to swap the front drive unit.

I heard report of Cars having the same noise and some others that don’t have it though.

My car is scheduled for another service in January and I will ask them to look into this again.

I advise you to do the same and report your findings here.