Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y Clunk Noise over the bumps | 2023 RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I am writing to you from Italy about a problem that I read often on this forum, but so far no solution.

When approaching uneven road or potholes, you can hear a CLUNK from the front end as if there is something loose, not tightened properly. The noise comes from both sides, but with much more frequency and noise is heard from the driver's side.

I took it to the Service Center, but they say the noise is heard, not good to hear, but not fixable. They checked to see if anything is loose, but everything seems to be tightened properly.

When it rains the noise seems to be lessened more, but I don't know if that helps. I have read many threads by now, but I can't find a solution anywhere. Even those who were "lucky" enough to have all components changed under warranty seem to have either not solved it, or after a few KMs the problem recurred.

Is it possible that many people report this problem and still do not understand what it is?

I will now list some suggestions that I have found but that do not solve the problem:

- endlink with loose bolts
- sway bar not secured properly
- upper shock mount not installed correctly
- plastics under the bumper

From Service they told me it is nothing to worry about, however I am very annoyed by this noise, it does not sound like I am on a 50k comfortable car. I would like to understand what is the source of the problem, but my service in Italy is not helping me and says it is normal.

What can I do about it?

Thank you for your attention

Reactions: MikeChicago
I managed to install a GoPro on the UPPER CONTROL ARM that frames ENDLINK and SwayBar, thinking I'd see a play between the components as if they weren't screwed in correctly. Instead there seems to be no movement between the parties. In another video, the movements between the components were seen very clearly, in my case it was clear of no.

What do you think about it?

at about the 30 second the car passed on an uneven stretch of road. In that stretch the car made that annoying noise.

Then I made a U-turn and passed that stretch again.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeChicago
Sometimes it really isn't anything you can fix. I noticed a fairly loud clunk when backing out of the driveway when one wheel comes off the curb while the other one is already on the flat surface, as when backing out and turning. The thing is that I have heard the same sound from my previous car. It may very well be a normal noise, but keep an eye on it.

I thought that you were saying the bullone that if he found that under this rubber tappo, is that correct? I apologize for translating into Italian because I always find the correct translation that identifies the part 😅

però Per vedere il bullone io dovrei rimuovere prima questo tappo en gomma, ma non riesco a capire se è avvitato/ a incastro oppure se bisogna compulsorily rimuovere da sotto tutta la sospensione.

Attachments

• IMG_1368.JPG
    IMG_1368.JPG
    466.5 KB · Views: 283
però Per vedere il bullone io dovrei rimuovere prima questo tappo en gomma, ma non riesco a capire se è avvitato/ a incastro oppure se bisogna compulsorily rimuovere da sotto tutta la sospensione.
however To see the bolt I would have to remove this en rubber cap first, but I can't figure out if it is screwed/ interlocking or if you have to compulsorily remove the whole suspension from underneath.

I thought that you were saying the bullone that if he found that under this rubber tappo, is that correct? I apologize for translating into Italian because I always find the correct translation that identifies the part 😅

Yes this is the correct bolt. You need a strut-tool, or a long 19mm socket where you can reach the HEX inside the socket.

I took a video shot of the tire containing the sway bar. Do you think it is normal that after only 10,000km it has cracks on the tire?

And then in your opinion could it be the plastic part at the bottom ?(the one that covers the sway bar to be clear)when the car takes the pothole, it vibrates and bangs on the sway bar support making noise, what do you think?

Ahaha. I think we may have chatted before? I too have destroyed my brain trying to figure out what this noise is. I have absolutely tried everything I can think of but have given up. It’s good to know you are on a RWD as I’m on a MYP. I thought it might have been related to play in the front differential but seems not since you’re RWD only.

Sometimes it really isn't anything you can fix. I noticed a fairly loud clunk when backing out of the driveway when one wheel comes off the curb while the other one is already on the flat surface, as when backing out and turning. The thing is that I have heard the same sound from my previous car. It may very well be a normal noise, but keep an eye on it.
I got it fix from tesla service … they say it is a body flex from the battery metal case. They put foam insulation over the battery pack.. they dropped the whole pack battery out and put some kind of insulation pad and now is fix

When you go incline or decline over driveway you will always hear that

I'm really happy for you. Here in Italy the technicians doesn't have this patience, evidently.

In Italy they say "this is normal sound of a Tesla!"

I think that, at least in my case, it could also be a faulty wheel bearing. But is it possible that the service doesn't check??

Driving the car at 150/160 km/h (100mph) I have strong vibrations at the same time. It could be balancing, but it could also be bearings

I'm really disappointed

I got it fix from tesla service … they say it is a body flex from the battery metal case. They put foam insulation over the battery pack.. they dropped the whole pack battery out and put some kind of insulation pad and now is fix

When you go incline or decline over driveway you will always hear that
This is the body flex creaking noise I get on my 2 month RWD Model y.same noise on 2 other LR model y vehicles I know off.