Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunking sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today I’m driving at low speeds and now I get clunking sounds. This happens especially when I turn my wheel. But when I’m straight it seems ok for the most part. I’m scared to go any faster than 10–15mph. Also the motor or rear sounds a bit different than what I remember. It’s a 2014 Model S P85 with 110K miles.

Any ideas? I don’t know if I should have it towed via roadside assistance. I’m an hour away from home. I’m doing a factory reset to see if it’s just some computer thing because it only happens when turning.

Umm, that’s def not anything s/w is gonna fix. Something is def broken with the suspension or components around the wheel, like something dangling causing the clunk. Is it localized to one side/wheel? That’s not a slight rub/noise. I wouldn’t drive the car. Have you inspected yet to see if there’s something obvious?

So it was driving fine straight but not on turns. I ended up towing it to Paramus Route 17 S/C last night at 1am. They called just now confirming they got it and are looking at it. They also said it might be suspension related. *sugar* this is probably gonna cost me a *sugar* ton.

Reactions: rickyjb
The service center just called me. They said it is suspension related but the motor is also starting to go bad. So they are coding everything to be replaced under the motor warranty, including the suspension items. This is amazing. $0 out of pocket and $1,300 Uber credits until I get my car back. I'll take a break and use Uber when I need to. Helps in NYC.

I asked about MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade under the new email that came out, and how much it would cost to replace it. It would be about $2,500+tx. I'm thinking to do that since I have been wanting to. If they can do that while they work on the motor within the same timeframe, I'll do it and enjoy the Uber credits.

WOW!!!!! Awesome news for you. What specifically was wrong with the suspension though? Inquiring minds wanna know.
How a failing DU leads to suspension being covered is strange. $1300 worth of Uber credits to boot?!?

Something about rear axle on the left side, something half shaft, I wasn't sure but I asked if they can send me the full invoice with all the work done and parts replaced. I will post it here for reference. And yeah they said it would be done Nov 26 so I guess they give you $100 a day in Uber credits which is very helpful when I need to go around.

Parts Ordered for Your Service Visit

Hello Besnik,

Additional parts have been ordered for servicing your car. We will send you updates twice a week until your service is completed.

Parts Ordered
  1. ASY,P-TRAIN,SPORT, LARGE DU
    Part #: 1002633-01-T
    Order Date: November 13, 2020

You may review, modify, or check the status of your appointment at anytime on your Tesla app. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Thank you so much for being a Tesla customer.

Tesla

Please note: Parts required for your service that are available on site at our service center will not be listed here. Some parts ordered may not be installed during service if there is no fault found with the parts currently installed in the vehicle or if the parts are within Tesla standards.

I asked about MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade under the new email that came out, and how much it would cost to replace it. It would be about $2,500+tx. I'm thinking to do that since I have been wanting to. If they can do that while they work on the motor within the same timeframe, I'll do it and enjoy the Uber credits.

Make sure they certify that the rear camera night vision won't be affected by the MCU upgrade - mine is unusable!

• Informative
Reactions: besnova
Make sure they certify that the rear camera night vision won't be affected by the MCU upgrade - mine is unusable!
Will do. I'll send them a text now so I don't forget.

Your camera is complete unusable? Is it just black? What did they say about it? Need another service appointment? Also, how are you liking the MCU2 upgrade aside from the rear camera trouble. I have a pre-autopilot model so I wouldn't get the dashcam, autopilot, visualization features.

Will do. I'll send them a text now so I don't forget.

Your camera is complete unusable? Is it just black? What did they say about it? Need another service appointment? Also, how are you liking the MCU2 upgrade aside from the rear camera trouble. I have a pre-autopilot model so I wouldn't get the dashcam, autopilot, visualization features.

I don't have enough bad things to say about the mcu2 upgrade. That's not true, I have only 3 bad things to say:

1. $2,500!?!?!? for just a slight increase in speed/responsiveness - I was probably one of the lucky few who's MCU1 was pretty responsive before it failing. I also did not suffer form yellowness on the MCU1 screen - I did have a few bubbles however.
2. As already mentioned - the rear camera at night is unusable. I think what makes it so is that it is to "contrasty" - you can see bright objects, but then the cutoff is so severe that other objects that are not directly illuminated by the reverse lights are completely obfuscated.
3. The audio is a step backwards. Difficult to explain, but the sound stage has shifted and there's not as much punch.

I have a 2012 - pre autopilot Model S - so many of the MCU2 features are lost on me, which is probably why I'm so down on it

But to put this thread back on topic - I just changed my front sway bar links because of clunks, took me 15 minutes, cost me $50 and the clunks are gone - as an added bonus, the car drives like new again! :)

Before:
upload_2020-11-16_10-33-25.png

After:

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-16_10-34-6.png
    upload_2020-11-16_10-34-6.png
    259.2 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: TimT
I don't have enough bad things to say about the mcu2 upgrade. That's not true, I have only 3 bad things to say:

1. $2,500!?!?!? for just a slight increase in speed/responsiveness - I was probably one of the lucky few who's MCU1 was pretty responsive before it failing. I also did not suffer form yellowness on the MCU1 screen - I did have a few bubbles however.
2. As already mentioned - the rear camera at night is unusable. I think what makes it so is that it is to "contrasty" - you can see bright objects, but then the cutoff is so severe that other objects that are not directly illuminated by the reverse lights are completely obfuscated.
3. The audio is a step backwards. Difficult to explain, but the sound stage has shifted and there's not as much punch.

I have a 2012 - pre autopilot Model S - so many of the MCU2 features are lost on me, which is probably why I'm so down on it

But to put this thread back on topic - I just changed my front sway bar links because of clunks, took me 15 minutes, cost me $50 and the clunks are gone - as an added bonus, the car drives like new again! :)

Before:
View attachment 608974
After:
I saw your other post about it. Hopefully there will be an update to fix it. How are you liking everything else about it? Netflix, YouTube, responsiveness? My screen is SLOW and I was looking to get another M3 or MS, but with this upgrade and the warranty work from this post I think I am gonna just stick to this car. It will feel like a new car.