Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

C'mon Tesla Service - we can do better.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
I took my car in on Monday or a check on why it had had a problem supercharging. I shan't name the centre because the young lad was obviously still learning. He said he didn't need the fob for my car while it’s on their premises. I pointed out that their Tech had said he may have to take it to a supercharger and handed it over..then had to call him back as he turned away to point out he needed the PIN as well...and Oh, how about the loaner you have arranged? He fetched the fob for a 90D, had no idea where in the extensive car park it was. When I did find it, it's the first loaner I've ever borrowed that also has a PIN set - so back to beard the young lad for that. He did say he'd also text me the PIN in case I forgot it.
In the car, a basic check and set a few things and away. It only had 85 miles range left and it was a cold day and 50 miles home so I chose to detour towards a supercharger some 20 miles out of my way for a decent free top-up because I had a dental appt 35 miles from home later. I’d gone about 5 or 6 miles when it finally dawned that a 90D may well not have a CCS upgrade and I hadn't checked and the charger destination was all V3. OK so that ls my own fault but nowhere handy to pull over and stop to check so re-route home and take it easy to make sure I'd get there. Also it didn't click that the car wouldn't have let me nav there if it wasn't upgraded - Doh! I should add that the car had a pending 2021 update and when the TPMS came up the 3 tyres were 5psi low and the fourth 7psi low. With no time to recharge at home for the dental appt range I took my 28yr ICE for that.
I check the mobile app and texts later - no text with the PIN (no biggie) and the app tells me estimated completion 5pm 15th. There have been no updates and the app still says 15th. And yes, it does have the CCS adapter on board.
Now I'm not that bothered because I have access to a decent car and it’s their mileage and tyre wear.. but we can do better guys!

Also it didn't click that the car wouldn't have let me nav there if it wasn't upgraded

Still need the adapter though (i.e. that might have been missing) ... SatNav should say something like "This supercharger requires the CCS adapter" and I now keep the adapter in the transmission tunnel (sorry, "old dog" and no idea what that is called now!!) so I can double check that each time. My bigger worry is that at some point I will leave it plugged into the CCS tethered cable :(