Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coast to Coast Road Trip (LA --> ATL)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove my Model3 across the nation couple weeks ago, true coast to coast trip from LA to ATL. Here are some highlights:

• About 2400 miles, it took 5 days and 4 nights. Drove through AZ, went to Grand Canyon, NM, OK, ARK, AL, MS, and GA
  • 23 supercharger stops
    • Some were small stops, just to make it to the next major stop
    • Only had "true" range anxiety twice... driving in AZ, temperature was over 105F and the battery was heavily draining quickly. Same thing driving in Arkansas. But we made it to the supercharger with 10% remaining both times
    • I would say trust the destination %, but not completely... most of the times, as we started driving, the destination % increased and we were able to put autosteer to 75-80 mph
    • Auto-steer is insanely clutch... I would say we only drove 15% of the entire trip, 85% was with auto-steer and just chilling at the wheel
9152B46E-3A3C-407A-A054-48B162EA8103.jpeg
A1B7FF1B-3DD5-4B7D-BB75-A12CC4CEA040.jpeg
65D10B0B-C12A-49DC-B7B0-F0BB813225F6.jpeg
C767F5CC-B162-42A6-9AD2-1389EA5285A2.jpeg
7649F476-69A1-435F-B0C8-0CF5C464BC3D.jpeg
ABD7A34F-D1B6-422F-AF6E-3D6C6AEDEF9C.jpeg
D33D1344-C418-468A-A33E-7139BD3D68B9.jpeg
A4A64EDE-BE8D-4D80-A827-3DBD2DDAFC7C.jpeg
1EA5664A-CF1C-424E-9114-234782C51971.jpeg
DA7888B6-C261-4D47-8C69-862A93F67F9A.jpeg

Total supercharging cost was $260. Comparing this to my previous car (Lexus IS350), gas would have been ~$560 assuming 25mpg (which is on the higher side, probably would have been 23-24 mpg).

Views were pretty incredible, I was pleasantly surprised at how green the middle of America is. Overall, would highly highly recommend this trip! Feel free to reach out for any questions you have

I used ABRP primarily to map out charging stops and how long between each stop is. That tool is extremely clutch.

Lots of people recommend the destination chargers, but in my opinion it is not worth it. The hotels they are at are super expensive. The cost savings at staying at a cheaper hotel and just supercharging far outweigh the benefit of destination charging + expensive hotel imo. Every major city along the way has a supercharger, just make sure to do that in the evening while the battery is hot, and you will be good to go in the mornings.

One of the hotels let me charge using an outdoor outlet they had. Just have to ask them nicely, and they are happy to accomodate you!

Reactions: Big Earl
You mention the AZ leg. Was that Page, AZ to Farmington, NM? If so, can you tell me more about it?

I'll be doing that leg in 5 weeks in reverse -- well, from Farmington to Page, not driving in reverse! :)

ABRP is showing I can make it with 10% reserve. Did you have to throttle back at all? Was wind a factor? Was high heat a benefit or a detriment? Any cutting back on air conditioning?

I drove my Model3 across the nation couple weeks ago, true coast to coast trip from LA to ATL. Here are some highlights:

• About 2400 miles, it took 5 days and 4 nights. Drove through AZ, went to Grand Canyon, NM, OK, ARK, AL, MS, and GA
  • 23 supercharger stops
    • Some were small stops, just to make it to the next major stop
    • Only had "true" range anxiety twice... driving in AZ, temperature was over 105F and the battery was heavily draining quickly. Same thing driving in Arkansas. But we made it to the supercharger with 10% remaining both times
    • I would say trust the destination %, but not completely... most of the times, as we started driving, the destination % increased and we were able to put autosteer to 75-80 mph
    • Auto-steer is insanely clutch... I would say we only drove 15% of the entire trip, 85% was with auto-steer and just chilling at the wheel
They really need to have few more supercharger from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, and all the way across AZ as well. I watched a youtube video about the range anxiety about driving from Vegas to Grand Canyon, and the driver did not turn on the AC (and it was like 100F). I am not sure if I can do that.

Is your Model 3 a LR?

Reactions: Carolina Karl
You mention the AZ leg. Was that Page, AZ to Farmington, NM? If so, can you tell me more about it?

I'll be doing that leg in 5 weeks in reverse -- well, from Farmington to Page, not driving in reverse! :)

ABRP is showing I can make it with 10% reserve. Did you have to throttle back at all? Was wind a factor? Was high heat a benefit or a detriment? Any cutting back on air conditioning?
The AZ leg was from Baker to Kingman AZ. Middle of the day, it was like 105-110F the entire way. We kept the speed to 70 and under. In that specific area, I don't think wind was too much of a factor, I think the main detriment was high heat. We turned the AC off auto, and just put it on a lower speed. Not sure if that made a difference lol, but we made it at 12-13%. I would trust ABRP only to a certain extent, it definitely does not account for extreme heat which severely depletes the battery energy.

• Helpful
Reactions: Carolina Karl
They really need to have few more supercharger from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, and all the way across AZ as well. I watched a youtube video about the range anxiety about driving from Vegas to Grand Canyon, and the driver did not turn on the AC (and it was like 100F). I am not sure if I can do that.

Is your Model 3 a LR?
Yeah it is LR, but has battery degradation. Think my 100% is like 285 miles, so almost 11% degradation since it was new.

Depends where in Grand Canyon... we went to the south rim, there is a SC right near the entrance. But yeah the network is fairly limited in that area, I would say you could make it from Vegas to Kingman, and then Kingman to Tusayan. But, highly depends on the temperature...

Yeah it is LR, but has battery degradation. Think my 100% is like 285 miles, so almost 11% degradation since it was new.

Depends where in Grand Canyon... we went to the south rim, there is a SC right near the entrance. But yeah the network is fairly limited in that area, I would say you could make it from Vegas to Kingman, and then Kingman to Tusayan. But, highly depends on the temperature...
yea, Depending on the temperature, i watched a youtube video that he was very nervous driving from Kingman to Tusayan as it has a lot of uphills, but also he gained the energy back when it comes down. it is a long 169 miles without supercharging station, or any of the EV charging stations. They need to build at least 1 in between that route.

The MYLR will make it, but the M3RWD might not be able to make it if i turn on AC.

I am using ABRP to just check if I can even make it. possible, but it might be difficult as I am expecting do not turn on the AC to save battery. I might be ok to do that if I am doing this solo, but with family, I better take the MYLR.

1656699842116.png

yea, Depending on the temperature, i watched a youtube video that he was very nervous driving from Kingman to Tusayan as it has a lot of uphills, but also he gained the energy back when it comes down. it is a long 169 miles without supercharging station, or any of the EV charging stations. They need to build at least 1 in between that route.

The MYLR will make it, but the M3RWD might not be able to make it if i turn on AC.

I am using ABRP to just check if I can even make it. possible, but it might be difficult as I am expecting do not turn on the AC to save battery. I might be ok to do that if I am doing this solo, but with family, I better take the MYLR.

View attachment 823621
Definitely take the LR if you can! Also try to leave early in the morning... do most of your driving while the temp is still cool. 169 miles is a long stretch, but definitely doable if you limit your speed

The AZ leg was from Baker to Kingman AZ. Middle of the day, it was like 105-110F the entire way. We kept the speed to 70 and under. In that specific area, I don't think wind was too much of a factor, I think the main detriment was high heat. We turned the AC off auto, and just put it on a lower speed. Not sure if that made a difference lol, but we made it at 12-13%. I would trust ABRP only to a certain extent, it definitely does not account for extreme heat which severely depletes the battery energy.
Not sure if high heat was the main factor. I just drove from Mexico to Prescott AZ. Temps averaged about 110 on that trip. Have done this trips quite a few times, and energy use was close to cooler drives. Main drain was the hills and rough roads. The drive from Kingman to Grand Canyon has a lot of hills and rough roads.
Battery range actually seems to go up on warmer days with my experience. I use my speed to monitor SOC % at destination. I find around 72 works for me. Seems to get close to kWH usage needed to obtain indicated range.

Not sure if high heat was the main factor. I just drove from Mexico to Prescott AZ. Temps averaged about 110 on that trip. Have done this trips quite a few times, and energy use was close to cooler drives. Main drain was the hills and rough roads. The drive from Kingman to Grand Canyon has a lot of hills and rough roads.
Battery range actually seems to go up on warmer days with my experience. I use my speed to monitor SOC % at destination. I find around 72 works for me. Seems to get close to kWH usage needed to obtain indicated range.
Maybe a combination of the wind + high temperature