Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coast-to coast travel &Supercharger use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leaving WI for FL later this month. After inputting destination...1. are the Superchager stop recommendations based on the current car range of the S? 2. What assumed speed is used in the calculation, and 3. Is !00% charging level used?

Last edited:
It starts out based upon the rated consumption, but takes into account elevation and speed limits along the route. As you drive, if it determines that you are using energy faster than expected (which is likely), it will warn you that you may need to reduce speed, and eventually will reroute to pick up a closer supercharger (if one is available). It will not have you charge to 100% unless it really doesn't want (or can't) find intermediate stops. It seems to prefer to keep you in the 10% -> 80% range. Sometimes the decisions it makes are a little squirrely, and there is not a way to tell it "Yeah, but I don't want to land at my destination with 13% because I'll be doing things all weekend while I'm there" so you'll have to do a little thinking.

I used A Better Route Planner for my first trip, but later found it was overcomplicating a non-issue. I rely on the in-car nav now, and I have done numerous 1000+ mile road trips in my S. The only thing I supplement it with is PlugShare or Google Maps to see if the superchargers it picks have decent options for food/snacks/bathroom/place to walk the dog, etc. I just use the in-car supercharger display to eyeball where I think I want to stop if I don't want to take its advice as-is.

As a driver of a smaller battery S75 I've found arriving at SC's with 10% or so battery (the lowest I'm comfortable) substantially reduces my overall travel time due to faster charging at lower SOC's. I found ABRP to be far more accurate than the in car nav at telling me when I had the right charge % to get to the next SC. Fortunately, the in car nav is overly conservative so I don't think it will ever leave you stranded anywhere, you'll just spend more time charging than needed.

Many cross country trips but none recent (6 months) have taught me this...

The car's algorithm favors fewer stops with longer sessions
ABRP favors stopping at almost all SuCs and keeping the SOC low
The car plans the route from A to B
ABRP plans the route from B to A
After leaving a SuC, the estimated battery level at the next stop almost always goes up
When the car says you can leave, add 5%-10% more to the battery
The car does not plan (ABRP allows you to adjust) for wind so you have to understand if you have a headwind
Using the nav even if you know the route is advantageous because the car will prep (heat up) the batteries as you approach the next SuC for a session
TACC has a tight feedback loop. That is, it applies a lot of energy to keep you right on the mark for speed. This is most apparent in hilly areas. You are a better conservator of energy than TACC is if you are willing to go +-3 MPH on your speed. I-80 in Wyoming as an example.
In almost all long trips with multiple stops for the day one of them will be for a meal. That's the stop where you let the battery charge up to near 100%
Save your "go fast" time for the end of a segment when you are confident you will make it to the next stop

As @Greg29 points out, keeping the battery in the lowest range for SOC minimizes charge time.

Reactions: cityhpper
Many cross country trips but none recent (6 months) have taught me this...

The car's algorithm favors fewer stops with longer sessions
ABRP favors stopping at almost all SuCs and keeping the SOC low
The car plans the route from A to B
ABRP plans the route from B to A
After leaving a SuC, the estimated battery level at the next stop almost always goes up
When the car says you can leave, add 5%-10% more to the battery
The car does not plan (ABRP allows you to adjust) for wind so you have to understand if you have a headwind
Using the nav even if you know the route is advantageous because the car will prep (heat up) the batteries as you approach the next SuC for a session
TACC has a tight feedback loop. That is, it applies a lot of energy to keep you right on the mark for speed. This is most apparent in hilly areas. You are a better conservator of energy than TACC is if you are willing to go +-3 MPH on your speed. I-80 in Wyoming as an example.
In almost all long trips with multiple stops for the day one of them will be for a meal. That's the stop where you let the battery charge up to near 100%
Save your "go fast" time for the end of a segment when you are confident you will make it to the next stop

As @Greg29 points out, keeping the battery in the lowest range for SOC minimizes charge time.
Being new and trying to learn, I realize I have no idea what you are talking about. :) The ABRP and the SUCs keeping the SOC low sounds somewhat interesting. I hate TACC tight feedback loops since I can't understand what you said in the first place. :D

Being new and trying to learn, I realize I have no idea what you are talking about. :) The ABRP and the SUCs keeping the SOC low sounds somewhat interesting.

For us cross country trippers that is the way unless you have things to do around the supercharger. Learn the taper of the battery and then one can understand the efficiency of time in relation to the charge. 1300 miles a day is now really easy.

Roll in low, but not too low and leave at beginning of taper.

Edit: If we look at the new cells 4680 you could see a 50% charge could be achievable in 7 minutes assuming a 275kW charge rate from 10-50%. I am happy with were I am at, but if that holds true. Wow! That is just enough time for a bathroom and a slurpee.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave
Having made a few trips in my Raven,I agree that the car now opts for fewer, longer stops. It appears that the charging curve may be different and 150 - 250 amp chargers makes a difference. I charge to 90% in 45 minutes now and an good for 275+ miles at 75-80. I need food about that often, so the car is often waiting for me. This is comparable to my last trip in an ice. If I’m running into a headwind, the car adjusts stops on the fly. For 100kwh batteries I think it makes sense.