Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coast to Coast Trip in May 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

charlesoris

2022 MYLR Red/White, 19", OD:12/13/21
Dec 11, 2021
California, USA
My SO and I completed a two-week-long trip in our 2022 MYLR.

Stats:
Miles Driven: 6674
Energy Used: 2066 kWh
SC locations: 54
Cost: $793
Efficiency: .309 kWh/mile
Speed: Posted speed limit + 5 miles

Highlights:
Grand Canyon National Park
Historic El Ranco Hotel
Cities Along I-10
Smoky Mountain National Park
Washing DC National Parks and Monuments
Family in NJ
Manhattan 911 Memorial
Niagara Falls
Cleveland
Chicago
St. Louis, MO
Kansas City
State of Colorado
and others

Except for a flat tire that was patched in Summit, CO, and some PB events, there were no issues with charging or hotel stays.

Conclusion:
The most enjoyable trip of my life due to Tesla AP and NAV Routing, charging, during bio/food breaks. I would definitely plan for a six-week trip next time.

Coast to Coast Trip.png

What a wonderful way to see the USA. We've done our share of traveling in 18 MX. Just can't go wrong with seeing the sights at all the different superchargers along the way. I always feels like you start becoming family with the other Tesla travelers for we are all stopping at the same locations.
By looking at the map, it appears that you drove more miles than that.
If you have or thought about TeslaFi, you can create road trips and it will give you the full data of each trip you take that can be archived.

Reactions: charlesoris
What a wonderful way to see the USA. We've done our share of traveling in 18 MX. Just can't go wrong with seeing the sights at all the different superchargers along the way. I always feels like you start becoming family with the other Tesla travelers for we are all stopping at the same locations.
By looking at the map, it appears that you drove more miles than that.
If you have or thought about TeslaFi, you can create road trips and it will give you the full data of each trip you take that can be archived.
Thank you for your recommendation related to TeslaFi.
I am currently using Tessie which generated the map and stats for me.
I will take another look at comparing TeslaFi and Tessie when my sub expires at the end of the year.

Another related comment is that the I-40 segments in Eastern California, Arizona, and Western New Mexico are in horrible condition.

Reactions: Darmie

Stats:

Highlights:
Historic El Ranco Hotel
Cities Along I-10
Family in NJ
Manhattan 911 Memorial
Niagara Falls
Cleveland
Chicago
St. Louis, MO
Kansas City
State of Colorado
and others

Except for a flat tire that was patched in Summit, CO, and some PB events, there were no issues with charging or hotel stays.

Conclusion:
The most enjoyable trip of my life due to Tesla AP and NAV Routing, charging, during bio/food breaks. I would definitely plan for a six-week trip next time.

View attachment 961198
Nice trip

Stats:

Highlights:
Historic El Ranco Hotel
Cities Along I-10
Family in NJ
Manhattan 911 Memorial
Niagara Falls
Cleveland
Chicago
St. Louis, MO
Kansas City
State of Colorado
and others

Conclusion:

View attachment 961198
Wow, that impressive. We wish to have the trips like yours. Thank you for sharing!

Hi, My wife and I will drive from Boston to LA in a couple weeks, looks like following much the same E-W route as the upper one shown on your map. It's our first really long distance trip, and will be done without too much sightseeing as we need to be there by a certain date. We'll overnight with friends in Chicago and Laurence KS, otherwise hotels along the interstates. A few questions if you don't mind:

--What kinds of hotels did you stay at, and did any of them have destination chargers? Did you book "from the road" or in advance?
--any particular hotel recommedations near Buffalo, midway across Utah, or near Vegas (near the interstate/supercharger is best, we don't need to go into the cities)
--what apps were most useful on your trip?
--did you have any security concerns?
--anything you were glad you brought, or wished you had?

Any other hints, tricks most welcome.

Thanks!

Hi, My wife and I will drive from Boston to LA in a couple weeks, looks like following much the same E-W route as the upper one shown on your map. It's our first really long distance trip, and will be done without too much sightseeing as we need to be there by a certain date. We'll overnight with friends in Chicago and Laurence KS, otherwise hotels along the interstates. A few questions if you don't mind:

--What kinds of hotels did you stay at, and did any of them have destination chargers? Did you book "from the road" or in advance?
--any particular hotel recommedations near Buffalo, midway across Utah, or near Vegas (near the interstate/supercharger is best, we don't need to go into the cities)
--what apps were most useful on your trip?
--did you have any security concerns?
--anything you were glad you brought, or wished you had?

Any other hints, tricks most welcome.

Thanks!
Hi,
First of all we did not make any reservations prior to starting the trip.
We tried to locate a motel/hotel outside of any large cities with AC charging once we knew approximate distance for a night stop.
For booking, we used Hotels.com and reviewing visitors comments for security and impressions.
We were lucky with the weather through out the trip, and we only wished we had more time to spend.

Bon Voyage!

Hi,
First of all we did not make any reservations prior to starting the trip.
We tried to locate a motel/hotel outside of any large cities with AC charging once we knew approximate distance for a night stop.
For booking, we used Hotels.com and reviewing visitors comments for security and impressions.
We were lucky with the weather through out the trip, and we only wished we had more time to spend.

Bon Voyage!
Thanks for the tips!