Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coiled charging cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr Miserable

Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2019
UK
Referral Code
Whilst I am aware it is bad practice to leave an extension cable coiled when in use, I wondered whether the same applies to charging cables.
The reason I ask is that I saw the following picture on the Scottish Power website:

charging-car-600x240.jpg

I think the main issue is with cables coiled fairly tightly inside a housing - like an extension reel. Loose open coils are unlikely to be an issue.

Yes, it’s really only a problem with tightly wound or enclosed coils that can’t dissipate the heat effectively. Loose coils have plenty of natural airflow.

It's hanging without load over 50% of the time and outside. It's also very oversized and mine never gets even warm on a 48 amp charge, so I would say it is fine. I would worry more about unwinding it in the cold maybe?

In any situation, the fewer coils you have, the better for heat dissipation. But coiling cable with 3 or fewer tight coils, or a larger number of loose coils, in an unenclosed space is unlikely to be a problem.