Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intelligent Octopus, charging, location and automation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have posted this on another post but didn’t get many response. I am wondering whether people who are on IO and/or recently switched to IO can provide any suggestions.

The background story is, I recently switched to IO and when I first did a test charge it didn’t stop. I had to manually stop that in the app. Though it created a schedule the car didn’t charge during that period. IO kept creating new schedule but it didn’t charge the car. I thought probably an error.

But again I connected today, the same. The car started charging and I had to stop using Tesla app. I switched off the toggle tab in octopus to stop smart charging and switched back on. Then it brought the charging schedule. Now hoped the car will charge again tonight at the scheduled time. But it didn’t. I have to start the charge again. So I created the trigger from Podpoint to charge atleast at the off peak just to avoid any peak tariff. I was hoping this will trigger the charge but will stick to IO schedule. But it didn’t. So any suggestions from people?

I have signed out and signed back in the app. I have not removed the device and should I do that? If it doesn’t charge tonight (I am not confident) I may have to inform Octopus.

I’ve seen on another post about just using Podpoint to trigger the charging at the off peak and then leaving IO schedule to continue. I tried that yesterday but it didn’t follow the IO schedule. It just continued with the off peak tariff time of 1130-530.

There are few issues:
- GPS location in Tesla app always identifies neighbours door number. I have just done the edit and will wait whether Google adds my house number.

- I have ambitiously set up some automations - set charge to 90% during weekends and 63% during weekdays. Whether that bit is causing any issues with octopus schedule I am not sure. Please let me know if you are aware of any conflicts with automations related to charging. @medved please comment given your expertise in automations.

Last edited:
I tried to correct Google maps to position our pin actually on our house but I keep getting server error - try later from Google. Has anyone succeeded? Even though. the pin is a couple of hundred metres off Octopus seems to have no trouble setting up a schedule and keeping to it.

Thanks

Reactions: spdpsba
My car often thinks it is parked next door. Does not seem to affect IO. Mine works very reliably.
Just one point though. Is the home location set in All. Profiles (including easy entry). I had an issue with sentry being on at home every time my wife drove. Turned out home was not set in her profile

- I have ambitiously set up some automations - set charge to 90% during weekends and 63% during weekdays. Whether that bit is causing any issues with octopus schedule I am not sure. Please let me know if you are aware of any conflicts with automations related to charging. @medved please comment given your expertise in automations.
What are you using to automate, and what value are you changing?

Is the home location set in All. Profiles (including easy entry).
Yes, it is set in all profiles including easy entry. I’ve changed the location and Google has amended it (it is easy, just edit map and send it to Google and it’s been less than 24 hrs. Tesla pulls the information and app shows my current home address). I am going to wait and see whether it works tonight.

I suggest you just start by setting everything to the basics as Octopus recommend.
  • Podpoint EVSE to 7kWh, no schedules
  • No automations
  • Tesla app and/or car, set charge limit to 100% but no schedules etc
  • IOG app, set the target SOC for that night and finish by time as 05.30
  • Once plugged in - ONLY stop the immediate charge via the Tesla app, not Podpoint
  • A schedule will appear, sometimes hours later but always does for me
If this doesn't work then disconnect the car and start again - the fact that you implied that you manually stopped the test charge may have caused the issues you see. As far as I'm aware the test charge during setup needs to finish automatically and should take around 10 minutes or so (it did on the three occasions I needed to do this, second time for the latest car and recently when Octopus asked me to repeat the procedure).

If this doesn't work then disconnect the car and start again - the fact that you implied that you manually stopped the test charge may have caused the issues you see
I had to stop it as even after 10 minutes it did not stop charging.

I went back again, of course, undoing all the mistakes, automations etc., The only thing I was constantly doing wrong was the virtual key bit - consistently wrong in those steps. I had to go back and undo the default browser from chrome to safari. I went thro’ this again - the first time it didn’t connect. The second time I went thro’ all the steps again with safari as default browser. It connected and once connected it pulled the schedule and MOST IMPORTANT BIT it automatically stopped the charger. Hope it will work tonight - unlike what @kuruma had suggested in his case. Will update tomorrow. But looks like virtual key was the issue in mine and using chrome led to not add the virtual key to Tesla.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drew57
Hope it will work tonight - unlike what @kuruma had suggested in his case. Will update tomorrow.
It worked last night, charging according to octopus off peak schedules. Thank you. The issue seems to be the virtual key installation as I was using Chrome.

Has anyone tried to adjust the octopus app charge limit from 100% to 60% on different days using short cut automations depending on days etc? And what happens if the IO under charges- does it give more if the battery is depleted more than 90% on a particular day and have to charge up to 100% again the next day?

Reactions: GRiLLA
It worked last night, charging according to octopus off peak schedules. Thank you. The issue seems to be the virtual key installation as I was using Chrome.

Has anyone tried to adjust the octopus app charge limit from 100% to 60% on different days using short cut automations depending on days etc? And what happens if the IO under charges- does it give more if the battery is depleted more than 90% on a particular day and have to charge up to 100% again the next day?
I've no idea about the two charge limits, why doesn't it just sync with the car, it clearly can read the value. It certainly complains if the car is less than Octopus whatever that means. No idea how that effects the charging, I just set mine to match.
If you used something like Home Assistant you could set both, or even make Octopus match the Car each time.