Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coilover suspension upgrade on non-air ride TMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how's the ride with the Airtekk vs. stock?

The stock coils struts on the Tesla are excellent. They provide a pretty good feel of the road and also ample amounts of comfort.

My experience with (similar) coilovers is that the ride comfort is significantly reduced, especially on bumpy roads.

Morning all, (i'll preface by saying i am terrible at blogging, vlogging, and documenting as i work but i do take pictures along the way. but feel free to ask any questions and i can answer)
The update is finally here! I ordered the airtekk coilovers for 2014 Model S RWD standard suspension from MTM autoworks. Other than the scale coilovers which i addressed earlier in this thread, Airtekk are the only set i have found for the RWD Standard suspension S (i beleive MT has another brand available now as well). Justin at MTM was very helpful and explained that these are built to order so delivery could be 4-6 weeks. I ordered them on 5/27 and received them on 7/26 with email communication once that were shipped.
View attachment 694258

View attachment 694269
I knew it would take some time to install these so i had to wait about a week to insure i had the time allocated. I won't write out full install steps as Unplugged has a really good write up that can be utilized. Even those their write up is for air struts, the same process applies for coilovers. I have attached the link to that below:

View attachment 694272

Install went pretty smooth but i have installed coilovers on my previous vehicles. i'd say the biggest pain was adjusting the height, not difficult just time consuming. I'm impressed with Tesla's fenders and how much wheel well space you have to tuck the tires. I am probably not at my final height but seeing if any settling occurs for the next week or so then i will adjust and get the car in for alignment. I ended up lowering it 2" all around but would like it to be around 2.5" when settled.

Before
View attachment 694276

After (Better pics to come)
View attachment 694278

View attachment 694280

Overall i am much happier now that the car is lowered. Feel free to reach out with questions.
Awesome work mate!

Would you be not concerned about your hight as I always get touched during boarding and getting off a ferry? It does happens if luggage and passengers are in but not if without them.
I am always concerned about curbs, speed bumps, etc. But i have always had lower vehicles and just take a bit more time and keep a close eye out for obstacles. sometimes i'll take different routes and or avoid stores with steep entrances.

So how's the ride with the Airtekk vs. stock?

The stock coils struts on the Tesla are excellent. They provide a pretty good feel of the road and also ample amounts of comfort.

My experience with (similar) coilovers is that the ride comfort is significantly reduced, especially on bumpy roads.
Good points!
i would agree the factory bilsteins provided a decent ride. Yes, most coils have a tighter rougher feel however they are meant for performance/racing/autocross and the Airtekk's are no different. For now i left the dampening stiff however may adjust it softer in the future. I think i can adjust them to be close to the factory ride quality. My only complaint is that the tesla shock towers are sealed so i will need to remove the coilover to adjust the dampening or drill a hole in the shock towers to access the dampening. This is nothing against Airtekk and more of a tesla nuisance.
If you want great ride quality i would suggest air ride but that wasn't something i was interested in right now.

I will also need to adjust the height when i put my winter wheels on (stock 19") so i will have a 6 month update as well.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Good points!
i would agree the factory bilsteins provided a decent ride. Yes, most coils have a tighter rougher feel however they are meant for performance/racing/autocross and the Airtekk's are no different. For now i left the dampening stiff however may adjust it softer in the future. I think i can adjust them to be close to the factory ride quality. My only complaint is that the tesla shock towers are sealed so i will need to remove the coilover to adjust the dampening or drill a hole in the shock towers to access the dampening. This is nothing against Airtekk and more of a tesla nuisance.
If you want great ride quality i would suggest air ride but that wasn't something i was interested in right now.

I will also need to adjust the height when i put my winter wheels on (stock 19") so i will have a 6 month update as well.
Thank you for your updates. Just ordered a set :)

Morning all, (i'll preface by saying i am terrible at blogging, vlogging, and documenting as i work but i do take pictures along the way. but feel free to ask any questions and i can answer)
The update is finally here! I ordered the airtekk coilovers for 2014 Model S RWD standard suspension from MTM autoworks. Other than the scale coilovers which i addressed earlier in this thread, Airtekk are the only set i have found for the RWD Standard suspension S (i beleive MT has another brand available now as well). Justin at MTM was very helpful and explained that these are built to order so delivery could be 4-6 weeks. I ordered them on 5/27 and received them on 7/26 with email communication once that were shipped.
View attachment 694258

View attachment 694269
I knew it would take some time to install these so i had to wait about a week to insure i had the time allocated. I won't write out full install steps as Unplugged has a really good write up that can be utilized. Even those their write up is for air struts, the same process applies for coilovers. I have attached the link to that below:

View attachment 694272

Install went pretty smooth but i have installed coilovers on my previous vehicles. i'd say the biggest pain was adjusting the height, not difficult just time consuming. I'm impressed with Tesla's fenders and how much wheel well space you have to tuck the tires. I am probably not at my final height but seeing if any settling occurs for the next week or so then i will adjust and get the car in for alignment. I ended up lowering it 2" all around but would like it to be around 2.5" when settled.

Before
View attachment 694276

View attachment 694278

View attachment 694280

Overall i am much happier now that the car is lowered. Feel free to reach out with questions.
Yo did you need to get camber kit after you installed the coil overs?

The Airtekk coilover set just came in. Ordered on 8/12 received 10/5. I’ll post an update once installed with before and after pictures. FYI MTM makes a house brand coil over set with a shorter eta then the Airtekk.
Hey Archie, which coilover did you order from MTM’s website? how did the installation go and how is the ride quality vs stock vs Airtekk coilovers?

Reactions: Cheburashka
The Airtekk coilover set just came in. Ordered on 8/12 received 10/5. I’ll post an update once installed with before and after pictures. FYI MTM makes a house brand coil over set with a shorter eta then the Airtekk.
Archie954 do you know what the spring rate on the Airtekk coilovers? The in-house brand that they carry is called Paragon but that has a spring rate of 24k/12k front/rear. Doesn’t that seem a little too stiff?

Also interested in any experience on ride quality with the Airtekk. Also wondering if anyone has experience/looked at BC racing YG-04-BR which is a little cheaper. Car feels like it's rolling over cobblestones most of the time, and now starting to sound like a squeaky bed. Figured will replace both the coilovers and control arms at the same time.

Also interested in any experience on ride quality with the Airtekk. Also wondering if anyone has experience/looked at BC racing YG-04-BR which is a little cheaper. Car feels like it's rolling over cobblestones most of the time, and now starting to sound like a squeaky bed. Figured will replace both the coilovers and control arms at the same time.

Interested in the BC Racing coilovers as well. Do you think the spring rate is sufficient at 14k Front / 6k Rear? Anyone know what the spring rate should be for Tesla Model S?

View attachment 694258

View attachment 694269

View attachment 694272

Before
View attachment 694276

View attachment 694278

View attachment 694280

Looks great!
Its been a while, how are they holding up?
I'm about to order a set soon. Any additional insight?