Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coilover suspension upgrade on non-air ride TMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. After hearing numerous horror stories of air suspension failures I decided to go with a factory coil spring suspension Model S. I’m going to building this car into a marketing vehicle for the show circuit and have been looking for coilover or lowering spring options, of which I have found very few. H&R makes a lowering spring set for AWD cars, and BC racing makes a coilover kit for RWD and AWD cars. But then I came across this option:

Apparently out of Canada, they offer a complete customizable, made to order coilover setup with linkages,etc. for my car. Does anyone here have any experience with Scales Suspension? I’m interested, but it could be a $1200 experiment, and I’m not sure I have appetite for that.

Thanks - SW

Reactions: DrHoon
OOohhhh.... very interesting.
I have no info to add to your post -- but I'll reach out and see if they answer. I (likewise) chose the coil suspension due to concerns about long-term service of air suspension, but have thus far not found any source for replacement struts other than Tesla, which charges something like $1500 each just for the PART (last I heard).
I've replaced various suspension components on other cars of the years and with my S getting close to 100,000 on it I'm eager to find alternatives-- but I can't give up any ride height due to my driveway.

TL/DR: "Following" <ha>

OOohhhh.... very interesting.
I have no info to add to your post -- but I'll reach out and see if they answer. I (likewise) chose the coil suspension due to concerns about long-term service of air suspension, but have thus far not found any source for replacement struts other than Tesla, which charges something like $1500 each just for the PART (last I heard).
I've replaced various suspension components on other cars of the years and with my S getting close to 100,000 on it I'm eager to find alternatives-- but I can't give up any ride height due to my driveway.

TL/DR: "Following" <ha>
As far as coilovers go, the price is very reasonable, and Scale seems like a fairly reputable company as they are made in North America from what I can see, and offer options for a wide array of high end performance cars besides the Model S. Leaning toward springing for them. Set at the highest setting it should be comparable to stock ride height.

Watching this thread because I have a Model S with coils and on my previous car (BRZ) I upgraded the stock springs to BC racing adjustable coilovers. I loved the look of the lowered stance but the decreased ride comfort was significant. In my opinion the stock suspension on the S is pretty well balanced even comparing to our X with the air suspension. It's nice to know some options are available!

sorry guys. Life got busy for awhile and i was pretty disappointed with scale because they never responded to any of my emails so my last email to them told them to cancel the order, luckily they never charged my card.
I researched more and found MTM autoworks and they carry Airtekk suspension which custom makes coilovers for the RWD model s standard suspension. They still take 4-5 weeks to be built but i ordered them awhile ago and they will be here tomorrow!!!
Install will probably take place this weekend and while i'm not much of a blogger or vlogger i will do my best to take pics and document.

Reactions: Bwitzel and DrHoon
sorry guys. Life got busy for awhile and i was pretty disappointed with scale because they never responded to any of my emails so my last email to them told them to cancel the order, luckily they never charged my card.
I researched more and found MTM autoworks and they carry Airtekk suspension which custom makes coilovers for the RWD model s standard suspension. They still take 4-5 weeks to be built but i ordered them awhile ago and they will be here tomorrow!!!
Install will probably take place this weekend and while i'm not much of a blogger or vlogger i will do my best to take pics and document.
Awesome! Look forward to seeing how it goes

Reactions: Bwitzel
Morning all, (i'll preface by saying i am terrible at blogging, vlogging, and documenting as i work but i do take pictures along the way. but feel free to ask any questions and i can answer)
The update is finally here! I ordered the airtekk coilovers for 2014 Model S RWD standard suspension from MTM autoworks. Other than the scale coilovers which i addressed earlier in this thread, Airtekk are the only set i have found for the RWD Standard suspension S (i beleive MT has another brand available now as well). Justin at MTM was very helpful and explained that these are built to order so delivery could be 4-6 weeks. I ordered them on 5/27 and received them on 7/26 with email communication once that were shipped.
IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

I knew it would take some time to install these so i had to wait about a week to insure i had the time allocated. I won't write out full install steps as Unplugged has a really good write up that can be utilized. Even those their write up is for air struts, the same process applies for coilovers. I have attached the link to that below:

IMG_0454.jpg

Install went pretty smooth but i have installed coilovers on my previous vehicles. i'd say the biggest pain was adjusting the height, not difficult just time consuming. I'm impressed with Tesla's fenders and how much wheel well space you have to tuck the tires. I am probably not at my final height but seeing if any settling occurs for the next week or so then i will adjust and get the car in for alignment. I ended up lowering it 2" all around but would like it to be around 2.5" when settled.

Before
IMG_0447.jpg

After (Better pics to come)
IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

Overall i am much happier now that the car is lowered. Feel free to reach out with questions.