Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coilover suspension upgrade on non-air ride TMS

Korperwulf

Mar 9, 2018
So Cal
Hey everyone. After hearing numerous horror stories of air suspension failures I decided to go with a factory coil spring suspension Model S. I’m going to building this car into a marketing vehicle for the show circuit and have been looking for coilover or lowering spring options, of which I have found very few. H&R makes a lowering spring set for AWD cars, and BC racing makes a coilover kit for RWD and AWD cars. But then I came across this option:

Apparently out of Canada, they offer a complete customizable, made to order coilover setup with linkages,etc. for my car. Does anyone here have any experience with Scales Suspension? I’m interested, but it could be a $1200 experiment, and I’m not sure I have appetite for that.

Thanks - SW

OOohhhh.... very interesting.
I have no info to add to your post -- but I'll reach out and see if they answer. I (likewise) chose the coil suspension due to concerns about long-term service of air suspension, but have thus far not found any source for replacement struts other than Tesla, which charges something like $1500 each just for the PART (last I heard).
I've replaced various suspension components on other cars of the years and with my S getting close to 100,000 on it I'm eager to find alternatives-- but I can't give up any ride height due to my driveway.

TL/DR: "Following" <ha>

Korperwulf

Mar 9, 2018
So Cal
OOohhhh.... very interesting.
I have no info to add to your post -- but I'll reach out and see if they answer. I (likewise) chose the coil suspension due to concerns about long-term service of air suspension, but have thus far not found any source for replacement struts other than Tesla, which charges something like $1500 each just for the PART (last I heard).
I've replaced various suspension components on other cars of the years and with my S getting close to 100,000 on it I'm eager to find alternatives-- but I can't give up any ride height due to my driveway.

TL/DR: "Following" <ha>
As far as coilovers go, the price is very reasonable, and Scale seems like a fairly reputable company as they are made in North America from what I can see, and offer options for a wide array of high end performance cars besides the Model S. Leaning toward springing for them. Set at the highest setting it should be comparable to stock ride height.

blitzpa

Jun 15, 2019
PA
Watching this thread because I have a Model S with coils and on my previous car (BRZ) I upgraded the stock springs to BC racing adjustable coilovers. I loved the look of the lowered stance but the decreased ride comfort was significant. In my opinion the stock suspension on the S is pretty well balanced even comparing to our X with the air suspension. It's nice to know some options are available!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC