Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coilover suspension upgrade on non-air ride TMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 has ~100k miles and was going to pull the trigger this year to buy SCALES coilovers (street version not race or low) since my car isn't as firmly planted around curves anymore. There aren't any reviews on SCALES but has 2 year warranty.

So, waiting to get an update from "ndinh" before making a decision on which aftermarket suspension that is as durable as OEM (Bilsteins).

Hi everyone. After having it installed for a couple of months, I just couldn't get the ride as smooth as I wanted it. I then realized that the springs that came with the setup was much stiffer than it I would've preferred so I bought a new set of softer springs. Before I had a chance to install the new springs, the wife made me remove the setup so I'm back on stocks. Been meaning to go thr airbag route but haven't had the chance yet. Basically, I still have the set which is brand new with a new set of softer springs if anyone wants to buy them at a discount. Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Informative
Reactions: Newscutter
Hi everyone. After having it installed for a couple of months, I just couldn't get the ride as smooth as I wanted it. I then realized that the springs that came with the setup was much stiffer than it I would've preferred so I bought a new set of softer springs. Before I had a chance to install the new springs, the wife made me remove the setup so I'm back on stocks. Been meaning to go thr airbag route but haven't had the chance yet. Basically, I still have the set which is brand new with a new set of softer springs if anyone wants to buy them at a discount. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I am curious on what you mean by "couldn't get it as smooth"? On roads without potholes and scars, the ride isn't compliant (i.e., bouncy)?
And this "un smoothness" of the new suspension, is it all all speeds or low or high speed?

I'm still waiting for my SCALES suspension to be built and now am worry about coilovers in general base on your response. I am not expecting soft luxury feel but don't want bone jarring ride either (we have imperfect roads here in Western NY). I don't know if I can cancel the order and buying OEM bilsteins might cost $4k?

Hi,
That's tough. From my experience, coilovers in general are much stiffer than your OE ride. I tried dialing the compression all the way up, softest setting and it was still harsh, like I can feel every imperfection on the road. Freeways were not any better, like the car bounced around. Keep in mind, it may have been the incorrect spring rate. That's why I bought a new set of springs. Do you know what rate your coilovers will come with? If you're looking to keep your car at the same height, there are imitation bilsteins on ebay for $900. I have no experience with these so can't comment.

Hi,
That's tough. From my experience, coilovers in general are much stiffer than your OE ride. I tried dialing the compression all the way up, softest setting and it was still harsh, like I can feel every imperfection on the road. Freeways were not any better, like the car bounced around. Keep in mind, it may have been the incorrect spring rate. That's why I bought a new set of springs. Do you know what rate your coilovers will come with? If you're looking to keep your car at the same height, there are imitation bilsteins on ebay for $900. I have no experience with these so can't comment.
Now, I just messaged the company since I left it default to whatever and I have no idea what the default is. I also told them my driving style, preference, family hauler on weekends, etc. and hopefully they can decide on the best spring rate for my situation. Thank you for pointing out the spring rate.

Now, I just messaged the company since I left it default to whatever and I have no idea what the default is. I also told them my driving style, preference, family hauler on weekends, etc. and hopefully they can decide on the best spring rate for my situation. Thank you for pointing out the spring rate.

SCALES responded to my email inquiring about stiffness/spring rates:

We don't have all the specs to compare what other brands offer but we know our Tesla S kit has been tested a lot on North American roads compared to what this brand can offer. The shock internal valving efficiency and shock shaft length is normally what cause comfort concerns on other brands. 16kg is a bit soft for the suspension geometry and weight of the Model S but if they use them on a short shaft shock, he probably bottom out on every bumps that's why he may feel crazy stiff, If it's the case, customer should add some preload on the spring to prevent the shock to bottom out. Shock valving is also something many brand have problem with on heavier applications. As they don't always have a spring stiff enough to feel balanced for the weight of the car, they use a really aggressive valving to compensate and this significantly reduce the comfort level over road imperfections and small bumps.​
We are sure you'll be more satisfied with what we offer but as not everyone have the same taste on the comfort , if anything is needed we do have many options available (adjustment or tips from tech team) to reach the comfort level you had in mind.​

Personally, I am not a suspension expert since SCALES stated that 16kg spring rate is a "bit soft" and ndinh stated that it was too jarring/stiff for him. But it does make logical sense on what they explained about short shaft shock.

Mine will be shipped to me in a few days and I'll get them install. I'll report back any differences but then my baseline comparison is worn out OEM shocks on my car (I bought my MS used with 99k miles last year and now it has~110k miles) and not sure if that's a fair comparison. Hopefully, their customer support can help me dial in the correct setting for me.

• Love
Reactions: Cheburashka

I see the custom spring rate options are available -- did you pass the stock rate on to Scales? If so, I'll be very interested to see what they are like. I made it through my state inspection last week with no issues on the stock struts, but I feel like every year at this point is a hope and prayer!

I see the custom spring rate options are available -- did you pass the stock rate on to Scales? If so, I'll be very interested to see what they are like. I made it through my state inspection last week with no issues on the stock struts, but I feel like every year at this point is a hope and prayer!
Yes, I left it (spring rate) to "default" and I didn't pick the LOW version either.

Good luck. I'm def no expert so I can't argue with their statement. I hope it works out for you and I really wanted to love mine bc the adjustability is awesome. I don't think mine had the bottom out issue mentioned, it just felt like there was no give which was great on turns but not so great with everyday driving.

Good luck. I'm def no expert so I can't argue with their statement. I hope it works out for you and I really wanted to love mine bc the adjustability is awesome. I don't think mine had the bottom out issue mentioned, it just felt like there was no give which was great on turns but not so great with everyday driving.
I'm actually researching procuring adjustable camber/toe (rear) for my MS so that the alignment will go smooth after installing the coilovers. Some of the aftermarket kits (adj camber/toe) are almost the same as the Scales suspension !!!

I plan on having these adj camber/toe kit installed at the same time as the coilovers.