Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather and smart air suspension issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never posted the resolution to my cold weather suspension issue. Ultimately, we had to replace all four of my Air Spring Modules, the Air Suspension Compressor and the Air Suspension Valve Block. Also, the associated air lines were replaced. Basically, the entire air suspension system has been replaced. It was legitimately in bad shape. The service department visually showed me the air compressor, which was in terrible shape, and you could hear the air evacuating as it ran. Water had slowly began to invade the internals of the pump which was causing it to trip the fuse and ultimately fail. Three of the four Air Spring Modules had slow leaks, which was exacerbated by the cold temperature. It was safe to assume the fourth module would fail soon as well so we replaced it along with the other three. This repair was financially devastating (each module is $990.00 plus labor) and I'm sure you can all do the quick math which put's this repair around 5k. My wife was very close to calling it quits with the car. But to the service departments credit, they did provide us some relief on the final invoice which regained our faith in humanity, or at the very least, our Tesla service department. :)

We did decide to keep the car. Almost one year later it has been an exceptionally good car (which it should be, we are riding on a completely new air suspension system). It's hard to ignore the terrible cost of this somewhat common repair, but minus that, it's been a very reliable workhorse with over 120,000 hard working miles on it. It's a 2017 model year and I hope this helps others with older Model X's prepare for what is, from what we understand, an expected long term repair.

I never posted the resolution to my cold weather suspension issue. Ultimately, we had to replace all four of my Air Spring Modules, the Air Suspension Compressor and the Air Suspension Valve Block. Also, the associated air lines were replaced. Basically, the entire air suspension system has been replaced. It was legitimately in bad shape. The service department visually showed me the air compressor, which was in terrible shape, and you could hear the air evacuating as it ran. Water had slowly began to invade the internals of the pump which was causing it to trip the fuse and ultimately fail. Three of the four Air Spring Modules had slow leaks, which was exacerbated by the cold temperature. It was safe to assume the fourth module would fail soon as well so we replaced it along with the other three. This repair was financially devastating (each module is $990.00 plus labor) and I'm sure you can all do the quick math which put's this repair around 5k. My wife was very close to calling it quits with the car. But to the service departments credit, they did provide us some relief on the final invoice which regained our faith in humanity, or at the very least, our Tesla service department. :)

We did decide to keep the car. Almost one year later it has been an exceptionally good car (which it should be, we are riding on a completely new air suspension system). It's hard to ignore the terrible cost of this somewhat common repair, but minus that, it's been a very reliable workhorse with over 120,000 hard working miles on it. It's a 2017 model year and I hope this helps others with older Model X's prepare for what is, from what we understand, an expected long term repair.

Thanks for the update, did they let you know how it got into such a bad shape to begin with? I don't think this would be consider normal to have to replace the whole air suspension?

Thanks for the update, did they let you know how it got into such a bad shape to begin with? I don't think this would be consider normal to have to replace the whole air suspension?
No, they did not elaborate on how it came to be in such bad shape. They did however mention that the new pump was a redesigned one. So for what it's worth it seems that part will do better his time around.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
No, they did not elaborate on how it came to be in such bad shape. They did however mention that the new pump was a redesigned one. So for what it's worth it seems that part will do better his time around.
Yeah I think that’s one positive with a repair like this - you have all new and likely revised parts. I’d expect the air suspension to be solid now for many years. It’s a little consolation maybe…