Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold Weather Chicago?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2004 toyota highlander limited. Getting expensive to fix. Time for new car. I like electric. But my sisters husband was saying it does not work in cold weather.

But I dont see snything on their website about a that. Just somebody saying on reddit that it should not be left in -22 for over 24 hours.

I live in chicago suburbs. Electric batteries 40% less effective in the winter I read somewhere.

But my cousin few days ago when visiting said they always stay warm.

I see very few teslas in chicago. Anyone from Chicago? How does it handle in the winter?

Coldest recorded temp was at ohare on January 20th 1985 -27 degrees. So it is not that cold. Hardly gets in the minuses.

What is the max a tesla can handle?

Also model y and x are the SUVs. But both look pretty low. I like higher off the ground like my highlander. So Y or X will take some gettong used to I guess.

If you have a way to charge at home via 240 volts, I wouldn’t worry about winter one bit. I’ve spent plenty of time in Michigan winters. Your range will probably be reduced by about 40% on the coldest days, maybe 50% if it’s also snowy. Plan accordingly and you’ll be just fine.

Car performs well in cold weather. Fast cabin heat and great all-wheel-drive, especially with snow tires.

If you can’t charge at either home or work, I wouldn’t do it. Relying on Superchargers as your primary source of charging is doable, but inconvenient, especially inconvenient in the winter when the battery charges more slowly due to cold weather.

First off: The motor and all in a Tesla work just fine at -40F. They test the vehicles up in Alaska.

Second: Modern Teslas come with a heat pump. This helps two ways:
  1. Extracts heat from outside cold air to heat the cabin. (There's a lot of heat needed in the cabin so people got toasty toes.)
  2. Extracts heat from outside cold air to heat the batteries/motors.
A Tesla will use waste heat (i.e., copper getting warm from the current; batteries getting warm from current flowing through them) to heat the batteries, motors, and to some extent, the cabin. There is an optimal temperature for all that stuff.

I used to have a 2018 M3 that had no heat pump. In warm weather, the car got 250 W-hr/mile; in cold weather, it got 350 W-hr/mile, that extra 100 W-hr/mile being used to heat the cabin with. The SO has a 2021 MY that, in warm weather, would get 280 W-hr/mile. In cold weather, as soon as one turned it on, it would do 350 W-hr/mile, then warm up, and the energy used would drop down to 290-300 W-hr/mile.

Yeah, and the seats are electrically heated, as is the steering wheel, with the intent that it's kind of cheaper to keep the cabin cooler and get warm from the seat.

The real problem with a Tesla in the winter is charging it. Say it's -20F in your garage. The battery has to get warmed up somewhat to charge it, and the heater for the battery uses around 2.5 to 3.0 kW.

Thing is, if you use a 120 VAC, 15A socket (standard wall socket), the car will draw a maximum of 12A (NEC code says one has to derate 20% on a constant, heavy load, and, yep, that's a Tesla), for 120VAC x 12A = 1440W. So, right there, that means trying to charge a cold Tesla in the dead of winter from a 120 VAC wall socket kinda ain't a-gonna work.

If you're in the burbs and:
  • Your breaker box has a pair of extra slots so you can put in a duplex breaker
  • Your breaker box has, best case, 60A of extra capacity (an electrician will run something called a "load analysis" to determine that this is, in fact, the case).
  • Worst case, you've got 30 A of extra capacity
Then, you're in business. A duplex breaker gives you 240 VAC. (You'll see this in your breaker box. A double, ganged breaker is, in fact, a 240 VAC breaker. You'll usually have at least one for your HVAC system.) If you've got a 30A circuit, then you can get 240 VAC @ 24A, that's 5760W, and more than enough to both get the battery warmed up and get the car charged. (Once the battery's warm, the current to do the warming part decreases dramatically.)

If you can put in a 60A breaker, then the charging power is 240VAC * 48A = 11.52 kW, which is the max current a Tesla can do. And there won't be an issue with getting the battery warmed up, either.

Generally, putting a Wall Connector (that's a box that can handle 240 VAC, the necessary current, and has a cable on it that fits into the car) on your abode somewhere.If you've got a garage, in the garage is the best place to put this thing, although most of the Wall Connectors I've heard of are rated to handle being mounted on the outside of a house. The Tesla Wall Connector can be bought from places like Walmart as well as Tesla, and there's third parties that'll be happy to sell you a non-Tesla one, too. A Wall Connector is Not A Charger. The Charger is actually in the car. The Wall Connector tells the car how much voltage/current is available (has a small computer in there for that) and a Great Big Contactor that goes "clunk" when, and only when, it's safe to apply voltage to the car.

Here's why it's cheaper. The Wall Connector costs $475 (or a bit less from some third parties). A mobile connector is this cable-looking thing that, on one end, plugs into the car, and, on the other end, has one of a number of adapters that fits a 120/240/what-have-you socket, with lots of different ones for different current/shapes/what-have-you. See the chart over at Wikipedia. The Mobile Connector costs around $250.

So, say one puts in a 50A breaker, 50A wire, and an industrial grade, not from Home Depot, NEMA14-50 socket. The cheapies don't last. The ones that aren't cheap cost north of $200.

Then, on top of that, to meet code, you'll need a 240 VAC GFI breaker. That's another couple hundred bucks and, suddenly, the hard-wired Wall Connector is cheaper. And can do more current.

Total cost for the electrical installation, including Wall Connectors and what-all, is around $1000-$1500 for a simple installation. If the electrician has to bust through brick walls, then, natch, the price goes up. Many enlightened states (NJ is one, dunno about IL) will subsidize charging infrastructure, up to and including getting a higher-power drop from the power pole in the street. Check your state's web sites.

Other than that: Teslas are cool in the snow.

Oh, yeah: In the cold, a Supercharger can't be beat. The lowest power Supercharger delivers 75 kW; the older Superchargers out there do 150 kW; and the modern ones being installed these days do 250 kW.

But, generally, Superchargers are for trips. Mostly, the cost per kW-hr on a Supercharger is 3X the cost of home electricity. (I get $0.18/kW-hr at home; the local stations are around $0.48/kW-hr, cheaper at night.)

If you check the numbers, running a Tesla around the landscape is about 1/3 to 1/5 the cost of an ICE vehicle, but only if you're using residential rates.

Minor caveat: The "Performance" versions of the Teslas (M3P, MYP, MS Plaid, etc.) come with something close to racing tires which are graded for summer use. Those tires don't work well below 40F or so. (But that's true of any summer tire.) The non-P types (Standard Range and Long Range) come with All Seasons, which, mostly, will do a decent job in the snow. If you're the kind of person who likes snow tires, then knock yourself out, those have better traction in the snow. There are people with "P" cars that run Summers in the warm months and swap wheels to snows in the cold months. Me, I got LR cars over here, it's the mid-Atlantic, so I stick with All Seasons.

That 40% number you cited has nothing to do with Teslas. What it kind of sounds like is what happens to a standard lead-acid car battery, used for starting an internal combustion engine, in the cold. Hm. There were some non-Tesla BEV (Battery Electric Vehicles), I think the early Nissan Leafs were one, that didn't have built-in heating arrangements for the traction battery. So those cars might be an issue in the cold, but I've never owned one.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The Y and X aren't really off-road vehicles with tons of ground clearance. They're a smaller and a mid-sized "SUV". But, if you haven't looked yet at the internal storage area, you should do that thing. Without a gas tank or internal combustion engine, there's a very good sized well in the rear and a frunk in the front, and it's blinking amazing how much stuff one can stick in there. Not quite up to minivan levels, but close.

But my sisters husband was saying it does not work in cold weather.

Someone's going to have to tell the people of Norway that. Almost 90% of new vehicle sales there are EVs. While they are less efficient in cold climates, so are ICE vehicles. You just get used to it like everything else.

I live in Western New York - probably our winters are about the same as Chicago. Definitely you'll want to have home charging. Otherwise, driving a Tesla is fantastic in colder climates.

The car heats up much faster than any ICE on the road, plus you can turn on the heat from your phone. Just a few minutes before you leave is enough to get into a warm cabin. You can even schedule the heat for your morning commute.

Additionally, since the major weight in an EV is the battery, and the battery is low and spans the dimensions of the vehicle, it's very good driving in the winter. Conversely, an ICE vehicle has all it's weight in the front, which creates all sorts of problems with any loss of traction (e.g. fishtailing).

Get the car, don't listen to people that don't have one... they're just repeating mainstream media lies.

Last edited:
I have 2 and a half car garage and 5,280 sq ft house according to zillow. No 240v in the garage except for the central vacum. If I hire someone to add an extra outlet it would probably feed off the existing outlet. That means I can not charge the car while the centeal vac is running somebody said. Is that true? If so it is atill fine. We are not vacuming every day. So it should be ok.

I have 2 and a half car garage and 5,280 sq ft house according to zillow. No 240v in the garage except for the central vacum. If I hire someone to add an extra outlet it would probably feed off the existing outlet. That means I can not charge the car while the centeal vac is running somebody said. Is that true? If so it is atill fine. We are not vacuming every day. So it should be ok.
With that size house you’ve probably got a 200A breaker panel, which means you likely have enough spare load to add a 60A breaker. If it’s in the garage, probably simpler for your life just to do that, mount a Wall Connector where its 18’ cable can reach either location, and be done.

For a load like a Tesla, if you do want to use a pre-existing socket, you definitely want a point-to-point connection, no load sharing. That is: one breaker, one socket. Just like a microwave oven or some other major appliance.

Is that whole house vacuum 120VAC or 240VAC? If it’s 120VAC, you’re back to the same problem, not enough power to warm the battery on really cold days.

I see very few teslas in chicago. Anyone from Chicago? How does it handle in the winter?
We are everywhere and you'll see them more once you get one! Being able to use your phone or watch to preheat, defrost and in the summer pre-cool the car while you are in coming out of work, a store or while sitting on a plane or train is a nice feature that just becomes "normal".

Depending on the conditions and how much snow we get you might not even need to scape the windows anymore. Just hit Defrost remotely and let it melt away.

Reactions: father_of_6
No the 2 breaker boxes I have are in the basement. And as I said my central vacum connection in the garage is 220 not 120. Or maybe 240 I am not sure. But not 120 dor sure.
Newly installed EV charging circuits must be dedicated, i.e. no second outlet. This is now part of the National Electrical Code (NEC) for all new 120V and 240V EV charging circuits. You will want to get quotes from 2 or 3 licensed electricians for adding a 240V circuit for EV charging in the garage.

For maximum fastest possible charging, reliability you would want to get a hard wired installation (no plug.) The 240V circuit can be installed, rated for either 60/50/40/30/20/15 amps.

Fastest charging would be possible when installing one of the higher amperage circuits (60/50/40) but (30/20/15) amp circuits would work well too if that is all your current home electrical service and electrical panel can support.

Most drivers, commute weekdays on average ~30 miles per day. You would need to be able to plug in and charge for between 1 and 3 hours each evening if your commute is typical, i.e. 30 miles per day.

Last edited:
Reactions: yerEVan
The Y and X aren't really off-road vehicles with tons of ground clearance. They're a smaller and a mid-sized "SUV". But, if you haven't looked yet at the internal storage area, you should do that thing. Without a gas tank or internal combustion engine, there's a very good sized well in the rear and a frunk in the front, and it's blinking amazing how much stuff one can stick in there. Not quite up to minivan levels, but close.

Hey, i am charging on 240V/16A, about 3.8kW, would that be enough for battery heater and charging in -20 degree (your scenario)? I m from MN 😆

Btw, this is a good read, thx for sharing 🙏

I really doubt that 5k sq ft home would have limited electricity circuit. When was the house build?

My parents are originally from India. Anyhow house was built 1980. And I was not complaining about the cost. I was simply wondering if I could piggy back off the central vac or not. I said nothing about the cost. My cousin said Tesla is the safest car in the world. Any compared to other electrics Tesla wins hands down most of the time. So if I can't install a separate dedicated 220 or 240v outlet then a Tesla is out of the question. Or any electric for the matter. Cost is secondary as long as I have the space in my breaker box as TRONGUY said. And it's maybe a 1,000 as somebody said. Not 10,000. Cost is secondary. I need to see if I have space and where I am going to stick the outlet. Cost will be determined after I see if I can even add an extra outlet in my garage.

My parents are originally from India. Anyhow house was built 1980. And I was not complaining about the cost. I was simply wondering if I could piggy back off the central vac or not. I said nothing about the cost. My cousin said Tesla is the safest car in the world. Any compared to other electrics Tesla wins hands down most of the time. So if I can't install a separate dedicated 220 or 240v outlet then a Tesla is out of the question. Or any electric for the matter. Cost is secondary as long as I have the space in my breaker box as TRONGUY said. And it's maybe a 1,000 as somebody said. Not 10,000. Cost is secondary. I need to see if I have space and where I am going to stick the outlet. Cost will be determined after I see if I can even add an extra outlet in my garage.
It is common to think that you should install a charging circuit that terminates at a receptacle (outlet) but this actually can increase the cost of the electrical installation. Today, you would be better off installing the Tesla Wall Connector (designed to be hard wired). When you install the Tesla Wall Connector there is no power plug, so there is need to install a receptacle.

You should assess how many miles you typically drive each workday and use this information to help guide your decision as to whether you need a 240V/60 amp charging circuit or if a 50 amp or lower rated charging circuit will meet your needs. (The Tesla Wall Connector can be configured (via Wi-Fi and the Wall Connector's firmware) for use on a 240V circuit rated from 15 amps up to 60 amps. The Tesla Wall Connector comes with an attached 24 foot long charging cord. Determine where you would want to place the Wall Connector in your garage so the electrician can include this information when estimating the cost of conduit, wiring and the labor involved.

I just found this.

In a Tesla, look out for the snowflake icon – it means it’s too cold for full power and range.

Anyone ever seen the snowflake icon before?

Instead of linking something from Hertz, why not look for the specific tips that Tesla itself gives (which also cover the snowflake icon)?