TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cold weather and smart air suspension issue

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Albatross, Mar 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Albatross

Albatross Member

About three times now when driving from Ottawa to Tremblant when it has been at its coldest (eg -15C or lower) about 1/2 way into the trip I receive the red warning icon on the dash which indicates smart air suspension isn't working. Unfortunately, means sometime the car is stuck in the law position.

The first time it looked like there was a buildup of snow in the wheel well which fell out once th car warmed up (heated garage). Other two times I couldn't see any buildup.

However once the car was warm next time I used it red icon was gone and everything working fine. I have had that issue at all on shorter drives.

Has anyone else run into this issue in extreme cold ? Any ideas ?

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Never had any issues with mine, in any weather.

3. Albatross

Albatross Member

Thanks Doug. Perhaps a service issue then. Seems strange only happens at highway speed after an hour or so when really cold.

4. Steph_S

Steph_S CAN #312 VIN P06173

I had this problem happen twice. My car was also stuck in odd positions. One of them was the front being on low, and the rear on very high !
    This was last year - it was very cold (-30C) I even had the car in a heated garage for 8 hours, but the heat didn't help. I figure they replaced a lot of parts WRT the suspension.

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 11.33.00.png Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 11.33.23.png

5. mrjedistud

mrjedistud Member

After 2 years of owning my car I just experienced this this morning. The temp here is 12 degrees F.

6. techMology

techMology Member

+1, except it was -18 celsius, and I've had mine my MS three months short of 4 years. It wasn't a red icon, though. Yellow icon on the dash, no warning. The "!" warning icon was due to regenerative braking being disabled, and didn't show any error for the suspension. Only when I tried to change ride height did it tell me there was a problem and that it needed service.

Got in the car 6 hours later and the problem cleared up.

7. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Had the red icon yesterday at -19C. Also had low air pressure message on both left wheels. Explainable because Orlando Service Center adjusted tire pressures to 45 lbs in warm Florida weather.

8. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Active Member

Sounds like your car wants to be a 1969 Suped up Dodge Dart!

9. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

In -22C early morning on the 29th the front air compressor pump ran continuously attempting to even out the suspension as we reversed out of the garage. We park on gravel, and the car is always at a tilt in the garage...it's a barn, but we call it a garage.

The air pump went silent as we drove up the street and the car could level itself.

Also had low TPMS setting alert the same morning...went away as we drove.