Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold Weather Chicago?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So 5.085 x 2 is 10 dollars and 17 cents. With taxes even then can't be more than double. So 10 dollars a week to charge 330 miles at the most.

Gas is 2.79 and 3.54 at Costco right now where I live. So my 2004 Toyota highlander get 200 miles per tank which last about a week. 15 gallon tank. 2.79 x 15. So 41.85 per week versus 5-10 dollars per week. Even 5.085 for a full model y charge minus 41.85 = 36.765. And there is no way its 5 dollars before taxes and its 36 dollars of taxes and fees. Double. Rripple at the most. Even 15.255 versus 41.85 is almost a third of the gas cost so not bvad.

Reactions: Prairie
My parents are originally from India. Anyhow house was built 1980. And I was not complaining about the cost. I was simply wondering if I could piggy back off the central vac or not. I said nothing about the cost. My cousin said Tesla is the safest car in the world. Any compared to other electrics Tesla wins hands down most of the time. So if I can't install a separate dedicated 220 or 240v outlet then a Tesla is out of the question. Or any electric for the matter. Cost is secondary as long as I have the space in my breaker box as TRONGUY said. And it's maybe a 1,000 as somebody said. Not 10,000. Cost is secondary. I need to see if I have space and where I am going to stick the outlet. Cost will be determined after I see if I can even add an extra outlet in my garage.
I installed a Tesla wall connect in 3 different detached garages at two houses 300 miles apart, one extremely rural. I had to run a 60 amp line out to each garage and a separate electrical panel for the two locations. the electrician bill for each was about $1000 but if felt it was absolutely necessary and does add to the value of the property. Plus about $450 for each tesla wall connector/ charger. Money very well spent. Talk to an electrician to see what can be done in your situation and meet code requirements. for me, the additional electric panels are in the garage. And in one case, I needed an additional panel type thing on the side of the house, I think to get enough juice. You will love a Tesla. Your parents will find some of the technology daunting to learn ( read the manual!! More than once!,,). but once it is set up to their preferences ( pay attention to safety features on door locks, etc ) they will be fine. Be absolutely certain to read about cold weather driving and pay attention to what it says. ive had no problems With range, battery, or the car in any way. Love my X. I am not young and a long way from a techy. just believe in the value of reading. Best To you and your parents.

Reactions: MikeChicago
That would mostly apply to people who have no means of charging at home and rely on public chargers. Bottom line is if you cannot charge at home on at least 220v you should not own an EV if you live areas with real winters unless you make sure the car has adequate charge in it when they forecast calls for very cold temps. We have chargers in our heated garage and at work so no issue even if it gets down to -40.

Keep in mind that if the car has a charge it will work fine and if you drive it this preheats the battery therefor stopping at a Supercharger it will charge normally. A completely frozen battery on the other hand will need to warm up via the charger before it can take a charge. I have seen some tests done where it takes up to 45 minutes before the car even starts to accept a charge once plugged in because the battery is simply too cold to take a charge.

LOL, the concern about cold weather Chicago is genuine. Its all over the news.
A good chunk are Uber drivers and sadly many probably don’t know about preconditioning their vehicle ahead of time. So that takes another 30-45 minutes if the charger first needs to warm up the battery to accept the charge. This just exacerbates the problem.

When I travel through Chicago, I always fill up well outside the city to avoid this. Tesla fortunately is adding a 50 site charger in the area.

A good chunk are Uber drivers and sadly many probably don’t know about preconditioning their vehicle ahead of time. So that takes another 30-45 minutes if the charger first needs to warm up the battery to accept the charge. This just exacerbates the problem.

When I travel through Chicago, I always fill up well outside the city to avoid this. Tesla fortunately is adding a 50 site charger in the area.
Unfortunately not everyone is savvy enough. I also read a post where one uber driver had 50 miles of charge left and the SC was 10 miles away. His vehicle died before he could reach the SC with preconditioning.

Unfortunately not everyone is savvy enough. I also read a post where one uber driver had 50 miles of charge left and the SC was 10 miles away. His vehicle died before he could reach the SC with preconditioning.
I would suspect that there were a few more details they left out. Like maybe they did one or two Uber calls between (and sitting in with climate on while waiting) when they checked and when they actually went to the SC.

Glad I have L2 charging in my garage at home, so I never have to supercharge in the city of Chicago. BEV noobs with rentals and ride share drivers seem like the biggest issue during the recent dip in temps.

If Lyft and Uber are going to push BEV rentals for drivers, they need to build some of their own charging infrastructure too.

Reactions: SO16
If Lyft and Uber are going to push BEV rentals for drivers, they need to build some of their own charging infrastructure too.
Or, let Tesla know so they can get ahead of the onslaught. Obviously this isn't normally a problem but the triple whammy of charger failures/stall failures, higher consumption and slower charging means cold areas with a lot of Uber/Lyft drivers would need more stalls.

There is a planned 52-stall Supercharger near O'Hare that would have helped.

Or, let Tesla know so they can get ahead of the onslaught. Obviously this isn't normally a problem but the triple whammy of charger failures/stall failures, higher consumption and slower charging means cold areas with a lot of Uber/Lyft drivers would need more stalls.

There is a planned 52-stall Supercharger near O'Hare that would have helped.
It will be bad if slow charging Uber bolts start hogging up tesla superchargers. I wish Tesla made the stipulation that EVs allowed must at least be capable of 120kw.

Reactions: tashtibet
Glad I have L2 charging in my garage at home, so I never have to supercharge in the city of Chicago. BEV noobs with rentals and ride share drivers seem like the biggest issue during the recent dip in temps.

That's what Revel in NYC is doing. They have their own charging infrastructure for their fleet.

Reactions: Ron Swanson
Owning an EV in a climate with harsh winters without a home charging option seems highly unpleasant.
I would say that's the case in any climate. I love everything about EV ownership (we have 2) living in a house with level 2 chargers installed, but if I was an apartment/condo dweller without home charging available, I don't think I'd want to own an EV at this point even if where I live had perfect weather year round.

I would say that's the case in any climate. I love everything about EV ownership (we have 2) living in a house with level 2 chargers installed, but if I was an apartment/condo dweller without home charging available, I don't think I'd want to own an EV at this point even if where I live had perfect weather year round.
Bingo. The apt/condo situation is what's gonna keep us from hitting the completely unrealistic goal of BEVs only by 2035. I think in every area superchrarging or 3rd party charging costs more (now) than home charging. If you don't have a place to install your own charger then that means your operating costs are higher simply based on your dwelling. As BEVs are pushed more and more people will start squawking about this discrepancy.

The big question is how this is gonna be remedied. There are no easy solutions. I'm sure energy companies would LOVE to raise residential rates so that they're equal to outside charging stations. Everybody's equal then, right? But I doubt that will get much traction. Another fix might be to cap the fees outside charging stations can charge. But then who's gonna wanna invest in a business that has caps imposed on how much you can charge? So the development of 3rd party charging stations will stop.

Then there are the gray area people who may have a garage with a shared wall or a dedicated parking spot away from their apt/condo. Now to get power to where you park your car you have to potentially run wires through someone else's property. How is this gonna be handled? HOAs and apt management companies are completely clueless. I don't think these problems are being addressed at all.

Reactions: philander
Well, I am in Chicago, and yeah the arctic weather had an impact on pretty much everything, even my house water pipes got frozen, let alone my Tesla mpg... I rely on my home charger and heated garage. Once I leave my garage the MY battery goes down fast, but I still enjoy instant cabin heat and acceleration. The 300 miles range becomes 150 or so. That's the reality, you either like it or not. I've never used any superchargers, so I can't comment on them, but one thing is sure the EVs can be a issue if you don't have your own place to charge.

Last edited: