Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold Weather Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Northern NY state, about 15 miles from the Canadian boarder, so its quite cold here in the winter. The ground is generally frozen from mid December to late April, routinely below zero at night. The two most important factors for me are realistic 200 mile range in winter, and heated seats. While the "Long Range" option is great, the base 220 miles is lower than I thought, I was in the "Bolt Comparable" camp expecting about 240. Added to that heated seats are tied in with premium sound, glass roof, power seats, ect, things you don't necessarily care about just because you live somewhere cold.

I'll still get the car, but now those two things have eaten the entire budget, no Autopilot let alone FSD. Maybe once the initial production hurdles are over they'll add a cold weather pack, but if you live in a cold environment, $49,000 to get over 200 miles of range and heated seats is a significant disappointment.

Yeah - I'm disappointed too.
$50.000 for a car with heated mirrors (needs $1k paint because standard black is impossible to keep clean) with enough battery to keep driving in ice and snow...

And I want AP. So $55.000

I wonder how much will AWD add to this...

I didn't expect the range to be much higher than the reveal base, but the bundling of heated seats and mirrors with other premium stuff that I don't care about is annoying.

To get heated front seats in the Bolt is a $555 option. Heated power mirrors are standard.

I hope that enough people who deal with cold weather will encourage them to offer a "winter" package with the parts of the premium package that make a difference.

Last edited:
Simple solution to cold weather: slow down. Which you should do anyway.

Speed has a much more significant impact on range than temperature. I'd show you that on the Tesla range calculator, except that you can't get to it at the moment with their "site directs everyone to the no-longer-live stream" issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit