Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been below freezing a while. My spoiler stopped moving. It is stuck in about the high speed location, it sometimes tries to move unsuccessfully.

Also when there was snow and ice on the car yesterday the passenger side door closed with the window in the full up position, IE it hit the window frame, I do not believe the door completely closed. Openening and closing again caused it to properly close in the partially lowered position and then close.

Wonder if these issues are snow / ice related? Anyone else having these issues?

I once had the window not go down while my daughter was manually closing the door. Temperature outside was over 20ºC (68ºF). Opening again and shutting via the touch screen resolved the problem and I haven't had it happen again.
However, since then I try to have all family members shut the doors using the touch-screen console, whenever possible.

Been below freezing a while. My spoiler stopped moving. It is stuck in about the high speed location, it sometimes tries to move unsuccessfully.

Also when there was snow and ice on the car yesterday the passenger side door closed with the window in the full up position, IE it hit the window frame, I do not believe the door completely closed. Openening and closing again caused it to properly close in the partially lowered position and then close.

Wonder if these issues are snow / ice related? Anyone else having these issues?
The window not rolling down slightly on door open is usually related to the early failing door latches many of us early VIN folks have had problems with. I would contact your SC to see if you have the old latches and if so, get them replaced. They will leave you stranded at some point with the door unable to close. For the spoiler, a couple people have had a corrosion issue that was more pronounced in wet weather & had some parts replaced. Again on early VIN cars. Luckily I have not had that issue (yet), but I'd have them look at it too. Plenty of snow and ice so far and my spoiler has been fine.

No issues yet here in Chicago, where it is below 10 degrees or down past 0 right now. Have made sure the car wasn't wet before but snow on car did turn to ice. Few observations:

1. Good = Tesla warms so fast/immediate, best Winter car IMHO being electric.
2. The fixed spoiler seems best/safest in cold weather, no issues, no corrosion possible, and it blows a little section of the rear hatch from getting snowed on and creates visibility there, good until rest has defrosted.
3. Doors & windows and mirrors have all functioned fine still.

I'm also in Chicago and my car is struggling a little bit. Went from averaging 330 w/mi up to almost 480 w/mi. I attribute a lot of that to the lack of regen braking when the battery is cold but even with an hour of preheat time the regen doesn't go past half. Yesterday with he 3 degrees was the worst.

Bjorn also mentioned that more than 30 minutes if wall-power preheating does not result in regaining more regen.
I find that if I leave the house and head downhill the regen restriction reduces fairly quickly during regen compared to heading uphill from my driveway and using power to drive at residential speeds. The sooner full regen is restored the sooner Wh/mi calms down.

I'm also in Chicago and my car is struggling a little bit. Went from averaging 330 w/mi up to almost 480 w/mi. I attribute a lot of that to the lack of regen braking when the battery is cold but even with an hour of preheat time the regen doesn't go past half. Yesterday with he 3 degrees was the worst.

480 is nothing, you'll notice decent 300-400s on longer trips. Short trips I can range 600-1000 at times in this very cold weather.

If you have a P, with active spoiler, you may want to go ahead and change the setting to extended all the time right now, instead of automatic.

I use the auto-fold mirrors as my lock indicator. But now I turn that off if it's snowing so that the mirrors don't get stuck in the folded position.
Walking away I can rarely see them in the parking lot with other cars around, but the spoiler I usually can. Honestly if I hadn't had problems early on with it staying unlocked and doors ajar and such I wouldn't even care. Or maybe if it made a noise when it locked.

Ah, so if you're not plugged in only the interior warms up? I don't always plug in bc I like to summon the car out of the garage...
I think so but I'm not 100% sure. If you warm the battery up without being plugged in you would presumably use more charge than just driving when you're ready to go & having limited regen. If that's the case I assume the car would be programmed to not heat the battery while locked and parked if not plugged in.