Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold Weather Range compared to the 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have guesses about what the real world cold weather (actual cold weather like 0-10F) range will be like in the Y compared to the 3? In those temp ranges I can easily be down to sub-200 mile range in my AWD long range 3. I don't think it's quite as simple as saying the heat pump should help a little bit but that's about it. The impressive engineering of the octovalve should allow for temperature efficiencies at many other pain points during cold weather. The question is how much of a range difference this may have in real world usage. Thoughts?

I think the key thing is preconditioning your battery. If your battery is hot, and cabin pre-warmed - then you will pay a very small energy loss penalty for driving in cold weather. On longer drives, some of the battery/stator heat can be redirected for cabin warming high efficiency.
You have to watch this though to really understand the complexity of the system:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think the key thing is preconditioning your battery.

Question on "pre-conditioning" the Y - this is as simple as turning on climate a while before leaving right? Any experiences on how long this needs to be on at different temperatures to have a meaningful impact on efficiency? Does more re-gen dots indicate a warmer battery, assuming there is spare capacity?

I think the two main limits to regen at temperature of the battery and of course if the battery is already nearly fully charged.* Turning on 'Climate' with the Tesla App will get the stators to start generating heat and this heat goes to the cabin and the battery. The battery heats up slowly, so I often start a half hour a head of time. I can actually follow the battery temperature with 'Scan My Tesla' - I've found that 70-72 degrees is the sweet spot for one of my commutes that starts with a really long steep descent [down from a ski area]. Also, if you've heated up the cabin with energy from "shore power" then you'll waste less energy on your drive. If you want to be real efficiency, get a blanket, gloves and a hat and stay warm with the seat heater - that uses much less energy than heating the cabin [with one passenger]. I suppose four seat heaters might use the same energy as heating the cabin.

*there are other factors though, when I look at the dots showing regen limitation, or 'max charge' on 'Scan My Tesla' there is a slow improvement over a period of time even though battery charge and temperature don't really change. Not sure what this is about.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I’m averaging 285Wh/mi in a performance over last 1000 mi average temp of 56* per teslafi stats. I stay plugged in all night and always precondition at least 20min before departure.

As others stated, I agree and am estimating a 20%-30% drop of efficiency (350-370Wh/mi) below freezing temps giving me 200mi-210mi range.

Last edited: