Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Collision imminent; corrective steering applied"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in a new to me variant on the phantom braking theme I've started getting this warning, complete with dire alarm bells while driving down a stretch of road I've driven many dozens of times before. Fortunately the car doesn't actually do anything other than scare the bejesus out of me. Perfectly ordinary piece of road, no weird shadows, nothing close by, just a regular suburban street. This is with purely manual driving-- no cruise or AP engaged. It started about two weeks ago and has now repeated three times in the same spot. As Mr. Bond tells us, "three times, enemy action". Now my car is like my cat, defending me from invisible evils.

I wonder about the reports that AP sets speed based partly on what most other Tesla drivers do on that part of the road.

If the NN are factoring in that kind of data, could it be creating invisible artifacts on the map, so some history of past events lingers in the hive memory?

I know you were not on AP, but could it be similar? Tesla recently stated that the car is monitoring your situation all the time, ready to help you be safe if bad things happen.

Just a thought.

So in a new to me variant on the phantom braking theme I've started getting this warning, complete with dire alarm bells while driving down a stretch of road I've driven many dozens of times before. Fortunately the car doesn't actually do anything other than scare the bejesus out of me. Perfectly ordinary piece of road, no weird shadows, nothing close by, just a regular suburban street. This is with purely manual driving-- no cruise or AP engaged. It started about two weeks ago and has now repeated three times in the same spot. As Mr. Bond tells us, "three times, enemy action". Now my car is like my cat, defending me from invisible evils.

I don't remember the exact first part of the verbiage, but the second part is definitely the "crossing a line" verbiage.

Crossing what line? I'm driving in the middle of my lane, at or a little below the speed limit. No other cars around me. I take this route several times a week and it's never happened before, now three times in a row. I'm just thankful it doesn't actually apply any "corrective steering" because that could put me in a ditch!
FWIW, I do routinely cross the centerline on a variety of roads, because we have many that are about 1-1/2 lanes wide with a stripe painted down the middle. And trees or rock fences in what, in other places, would be the shoulders of the road. That doesn't trigger any alarms, only this one, fairly wide open spot with full size lanes and (for semi-rural Massachusetts) a wide shoulder.
Also, I've not yet experienced "phantom braking" in about 10K miles fo driving.

Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday. Not on AP or FSD, no car around me. It said correct steering applied but actually did nothing.