Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still don't understand why there isn't a location in/near Winter Park. Sure, if you're through tripping Idaho Springs and Kremmling are great, but if you're going to Winter Park/Fraser as your destination not having any DCFC options in the whole valley is a real PITA.
You can vote for Winter Park on the Tesla Supercharger Voting. I have voted for them over the last 3 quarters. I think people don't understand how busy these mtns be especially with EV all over CO.

Reactions: jddaigle
not having any DCFC options in the whole valley

Although I agree that a supercharger near WP would be nice, it's not true that there are no DCFC in the valley.

Plugshare shows DCFC in Fraser (Fraser River Valley Lions Pond | Fraser, CO | EV Station), Snow Mtn Ranch (Nordic Center - YMCA of the Rockies | Granby, CO | EV Station), and Granby (Kum & Go | Granby, CO | EV Station). The one at Snow Mtn is even reportedly free!

I'd recommend purchasing a CCS adapter, if you don't have one already.

Is there a super charger location in Grand Junction?

GJ has an old 6 stall 120 kw V2 install, yes. There are better third part CCS charging options to consider using instead.
I believe that most of the old 120 kW Version 2 stations have been upgraded to 150 kW nowadays. Although sometimes crowded, I've never actually seen a line at GJ, although I suppose it sometimes happens — I've charged there 54 times, all of them on road trips. During normal business hours the Mall has excellent restrooms, FWIW.

With Parachute to the east and Green River to the west, GJ is no longer necessary for those passing through on I-70 or coming north from Montrose.

• Informative
Reactions: NOLA_Mike
I believe that most of the old 120 kW Version 2 stations have been upgraded to 150 kW nowadays. Although sometimes crowded, I've never actually seen a line at GJ, although I suppose it sometimes happens — I've charged there 54 times, all of them on road trips. During normal business hours the Mall has excellent restrooms, FWIW.

With Parachute to the east and Green River to the west, GJ is no longer necessary for those passing through on I-70 or coming north from Montrose.
I had to wait for like 20 minutes back in 2022. It was right after Parachute had opened, but that station had a hiccup and had to be shutdown for a while after being open for a couple weeks, so the Grand Junction stop was fairly necessary that day. Anecdotally I've heard of others having to wait at GJ too, although most of them now could probably avoid it with better planning (as long as Parachute keeps working fine).

Is there a super charger location in Grand Junction?

I still remember my excitement posting 10+ years ago about the GJ superchargers! ( quoted above by @threeputts )
One of the first dozen or two in the US, with the original ( labor Intensive! ) pedestals
1710205381858.png

Sears is gone, and who knows what else . . . I rarely get out to the mall . . . I have never supercharged here in town.
I do know that new pedestals were eventually switched in, and upgraded power cabinets (to 150 kW) happened in 2021.
1710206201284.png

It's odd that the app still shows 120kW max, but the website shows the updated 150 kW hardware
Somewhere (two or three phones ago) I have a picture of the 150kW rating plate on a cabinet.

1710206274633.png

Last edited:

No idea how you have avoided a line at Grand Junction across that many visits. It's by far my most hated supercharger. I've had to wait 45 minutes there and have had to wait 20+ multiple times. Even worse, because it's an old 120 kW charger, once you finally get a charger, it's slow as *sugar*. And it's way off the highway. Yea, the bathrooms in the mall are nice, but you walk across a giant asphalt wasteland of trucks with testicles to get to the mall (walking past the cabella's).

So happy there is Parachute now so I almost never have to stop at that *sugar* supercharger anymore.

Looks like Round 2 of NEVI Funding has been announced

1712345289028.png

Arvada is in construction status, Aurora and Newly announced Bennett is in permit status. I wonder if Frisco is Copper Mtn., Glenwood springs should be an upgrade (thank goodness), Parker will be interesting seeing its off of the tollway.

Some good news here