Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comed RRTP (Residential Real Time Pricing) Program in Chicago area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Link here for more details on the program https://rrtp.comed.com/

Has anyone signed on for this program and have any thoughts? I'm especially interested in what the "real" price per kWh ends up being as the rates for overnight charging quoted on the website seem unreal... under $0.03/kWh???!!!:scared: there is no way that can be the real price you pay on your bill, there has to be other delivery charges and such, that add on to that and bring the price up, but by how much?

Any input is much appreciated, Thanks.

paco3791,

I have also looked into this but don't have any real data from folks that actually use this program. Also need to calculate how much energy you typically use during peak hours with this program as you will be charged more.

Let me know what you find out.

What I'm really interested in is the fixed costs per kWh that inevitably get added on to the bill. Are they the same as what I have right now? I figure the peak vs. off peak will take care of it self since being able to control when the S would charge (if I had one that is:redface:) will be a big chunk of the power I consume on a monthly basis and is bound to save me money in the long run.

My electric bill is fairly small right now, plus the fact that I wanted to be on a 100% renewable plan, ruled out the Timed metering at this point. But, when and if I get the Model S my kWh numbers are going to be much higher and I'll have a lot more control over when those kWh get used, so I figure it will be worth doing at that juncture. At this point I'm just trying to plan ahead, get an idea of what is realistic.

- - - Updated - - -

I changed a year ago to one of the new fangled companies ... starts with V? Forgotten the name!
They do not offer off peak ... but still the .03 is a bit low; think I am paying .055.

Did the same thing, switched to one of the third party suppliers (Ambit Energy), 100% renewable energy offset, right around $0.07/kWh, which is a great rate for 100% renewable, I payed close to double that I think when I lived in WI and had a similar 100% renewable energy offset program. I'll worry about cost a little more if the electric bill is also my transportation bill.

but that price is just the price of the raw electricity, added on to that are about $0.02 to $0.03 per kWh in other charges, so the real rate is more like $0.10/kWh for me, just trying to figure out if those charges are the same for the RRTP plan.

Just giving this Thread a bump, I guess I'm kind of surprised that out of all of the Tesla owners in the Chicagoland area no one is using Comeds' Time of use metering program... or maybe I'm just overestimating how much free time everyone else has to monitor the forums for random questions.

I switched to the RRTP in September after I reserved my S.
I have had my "new bills" for the last 5 cycles and have saved 52.3% on the Electrical supply (cost for just the power) and 33.7% on the total cost of the bill. My average supply cost per kWh is $0.041. You are locked into ComEd for 12 months after making this switch, so if you want to change providers, this will not be for you.
Now, this changeover started AFTER the peak summer heat (my wife looovvveeesss the AC) so I will have to see how much I really save over a full year's time.
I am eagerly await the (hoped for) update that will allow me to start charging at midnight, but now I plug in the car, turn off charging from the phone app and then start charging when I plug in my phone when I go to sleep.
I got the car 4 weeks ago, so will be awaiting my bill in the next several days to see what the damage is.....

More info:
I have been watching the power costs - it did drop down to $0.01 at night in the fall when overall usage is low. BUT that is just power. The transmission costs, etc are about $0.03 per kWh (at least as per my bills - I was paying about $0.065 to $0.08 / kWh for power on the standard system for a total cost of $0.10-0.12 / kWh).

Last edited:
I switched to the RRTP in September after I reserved my S.
I have had my "new bills" for the last 5 cycles and have saved 52.3% on the Electrical supply (cost for just the power) and 33.7% on the total cost of the bill. My average supply cost per kWh is $0.041. You are locked into ComEd for 12 months after making this switch, so if you want to change providers, this will not be for you.
Now, this changeover started AFTER the peak summer heat (my wife looovvveeesss the AC) so I will have to see how much I really save over a full year's time.
I am eagerly await the (hoped for) update that will allow me to start charging at midnight, but now I plug in the car, turn off charging from the phone app and then start charging when I plug in my phone when I go to sleep.
I got the car 4 weeks ago, so will be awaiting my bill in the next several days to see what the damage is.....

More info:
I have been watching the power costs - it did drop down to $0.01 at night in the fall when overall usage is low. BUT that is just power. The transmission costs, etc are about $0.03 per kWh (at least as per my bills - I was paying about $0.065 to $0.08 / kWh for power on the standard system for a total cost of $0.10-0.12 / kWh).

Fantastic! This is exactly the info I was looking for, and it's pretty much as I expected. Ancillary costs associated with delivering the power would appear to be the same regardless of if your doing third party power or Comed's RRTP program. Scheduled charging will certainly be a boon for everyone especialy if you have a TOU electric bill.

Thanks kcveins!

Fantastic! This is exactly the info I was looking for, and it's pretty much as I expected. Ancillary costs associated with delivering the power would appear to be the same regardless of if your doing third party power or Comed's RRTP program. Scheduled charging will certainly be a boon for everyone especialy if you have a TOU electric bill.

Thanks kcveins!

You're most welcome! That's what I like about these forums - the ability to exchange pertinent info :smile: