Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comedian Bill Burr visits a Tesla Store in San Jose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, I've only seen the screen complaint from non-owners. I have the map on the top half and music/consumption on the bottom, neither screen is especially interesting nor do they feature rapidly moving/colorful elements, it auto dims in low light conditions so eyestrain is not an issue. All HVAC/media controls are replicated with the thumb scroll wheels so no need to even look that far down the screen.

Nowadays, the only time I manually interact with the screen is to select navigation destinations pulled from my phone's calendar.

And if it bothered someone that much, I'm sure enabling screen cleaning mode is just as effective as a pull down shade.

Interesting, I've only seen the screen complaint from non-owners.
Non owners are potential customers.

I listen to Bill Burr's podcast regularly. He makes good money and hates big oil companies and cares about the environment. He drove a prius when he had less money, and now he's more successful - a prime candidate to buy a tesla. But he didn't buy one because he hates all the new technology in the cabin.

I'm just making the point that it's not just a couple Luddites who find touchscreens to be inferior replacements to buttons and switches. There are many people who think the same way, and musk is shrinking his customer base (and therefore slowing his efforts to move us all to electric cars and save the world) by insisting that if you want a fast electric powertrain, you must want a bunch of high tech toys to go along with it.

Plently of smart, wealthy people refuse jump onto the latest technology treadmill, don't trust the cloud, or always-on tracking technology, or devices that try to predict your behaviors. By forcing these things onto people just because they want a fast electric car, more than just a couple potential customers will be lost. Make them options, not mandates. Don't be Apple.

• Disagree
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

Plently of smart, wealthy people refuse jump onto the latest technology treadmill, don't trust the cloud, or always-on tracking technology, or devices that try to predict your behaviors. By forcing these things onto people just because they want a fast electric car, more than just a couple potential customers will be lost. Make them options, not mandates. Don't be Apple.

Thus why its such a shame that smart, wealthy people don't have any other viable EV alternatives to drop their money on.

One of my few question on the test drive was how to turn off the screen. I thought it would drive me nuts. I was shown the screen clean mode, or whatever it's called, and figured I would use that all the time. Two plus years on, and the center screen has never been a distraction or annoyance even once.

PS: Haven't seen the video yet, but I'm a huge Bill Burr fan.

Reactions: dgpcolorado

I listen to Bill Burr's podcast regularly. He makes good money and hates big oil companies and cares about the environment. He drove a prius when he had less money, and now he's more successful - a prime candidate to buy a tesla. But he didn't buy one because he hates all the new technology in the cabin.

I'm just making the point that it's not just a couple Luddites who find touchscreens to be inferior replacements to buttons and switches. There are many people who think the same way, and musk is shrinking his customer base (and therefore slowing his efforts to move us all to electric cars and save the world) by insisting that if you want a fast electric powertrain, you must want a bunch of high tech toys to go along with it.

This is why non Tesla owners need to go out and drive one. The screen is a non issue, and has ever been so. If you would rather look at 50 or so switches, rollers, sliders, buttons, etc. etc., buy something else. The screen is not distracting -- well, maybe for 5 or so seconds.

Horrors, that someone with a lot of money might be forced into using modern technology. I hear that some of these rich potential buyers own cell phones without a rotary dial on the front!! I don't see any car company giving people options on anything. Does Toyota give options on where you want the seats, or the radio, or the AC controls? I don't think so. Maybe a couple options on paint.

• Helpful
yeah.... those f-ups!!!

Apple is where it is today because it has constantly pushed technology forward on an often stubborn and skeptical customer base. it seems to have worked out for them (and us).

you sound like those people who made fun of the iphone and ipad when they first came out. "keyboard on a touchscreen?!? NOBODY wants that!!!".

Stock is making all-time-highs almost daily now. If it was all smoke-and-mirrors marketing as some claim, they would have died long ago.

Some people are still adjusting to the bathroom being INSIDE the house. Change is hard, I get it.

• Funny
yeah.... those f-ups!!!

Apple is where it is today because it has constantly pushed technology forward on an often stubborn and skeptical customer base. it seems to have worked out for them (and us).

you sound like those people who made fun of the iphone and ipad when they first came out. "keyboard on a touchscreen?!? NOBODY wants that!!!".
Touchscreens have their proper place - like when you need maximum variety of information and interactivity on a small surface, like a phone that has to fit into your pocket. They are not always an improvement. Would you rather have touchscreen remote for your tv, and have to look down at it every time you want to change the channel or volume?

This is why non Tesla owners need to go out and drive one. The screen is a non issue, and has ever been so. If you would rather look at 50 or so switches, rollers, sliders, buttons, etc. etc., buy something else. The screen is not distracting -- well, maybe for 5 or so seconds.

Horrors, that someone with a lot of money might be forced into using modern technology. I hear that some of these rich potential buyers own cell phones without a rotary dial on the front!! I don't see any car company giving people options on anything. Does Toyota give options on where you want the seats, or the radio, or the AC controls? I don't think so. Maybe a couple options on paint.
That's the point, they might take their money and go elsewhere, sticking with polluting gas cars instead of clean energy, all because someone is trying to force inferior touchscreen technology and unreliable techno-toys on them, which has nothing to do with more eco friendly propulsion.