Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comma Two (Add on Level 2 Driver Assist for $1K for 64 model cars)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven’t I read in these forums that Tesla has rejected a system of that design due to lack of effectiveness? I noticed there was no discussion of the ways that the new system surmounted those obstacles.

A driver facing camera is very effective for monitoring driver attention. Everybody uses it except Tesla. The real reason why Tesla rejects it is because Elon thinks it would be a waste because he is convinced that FSD will happen "soon" where it won't be needed anymore.

So, it’s basically AP1 before the nags were introduced? Interesting stuff for sure, but it reminds me of the terrible piggyback fuel controllers of yesteryear ( Apexi S-FAC?), or the piggybacks for Polaris RZR Turbo’s, cool, but not really the whole enchilada.

Haven’t I read in these forums that Tesla has rejected a system of that design due to lack of effectiveness? I noticed there was no discussion of the ways that the new system surmounted those obstacles.

arent there driver facing cameras in the cabin they just arent activated? perhaps they rejected it but are keeping their options open if it needs to be added activated?

arent there driver facing cameras in the cabin they just arent activated? perhaps they rejected it but are keeping their options open if it needs to be added activated?

The arguments I've heard (I'm no expert, but everybody else seems to be) against the cabin camera being used for driver monitoring is that it is in the wrong place and gives a poor view of the driver. It's supposedly intended so passengers can chat with who? remote assist? once FSD is in use.

Or, maybe it's like your appendix, a residual artifact of a previous age where it once seemed like a good idea.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Ike
So, it’s basically AP1 before the nags were introduced? Interesting stuff for sure, but it reminds me of the terrible piggyback fuel controllers of yesteryear ( Apexi S-FAC?), or the piggybacks for Polaris RZR Turbo’s, cool, but not really the whole enchilada.

Yeah, Hotz essentially designed an affordable plug and play kit so that almost any old car could get AP1 driver assist. In a previous interview, he said that they are looking at a "FSD kit" that would install additional cameras to make any car FSD. Not sure how that would work. Cameras would need to be placed very precisely. Would the owners attach the cameras to the roof or inside the windows? Considering the different shapes of cars, I am not sure how you would standardize the location of cameras to always be in the same spot.

The arguments I've heard (I'm no expert, but everybody else seems to be) against the cabin camera being used for driver monitoring is that it is in the wrong place and gives a poor view of the driver. It's supposedly intended so passengers can chat with who? remote assist? once FSD is in use.

Or, maybe it's like your appendix, a residual artifact of a previous age where it once seemed like a good idea.

I thought the initial purpose for the Model 3 cabin camera is for "RoboTaxi's". It was never added to the Model S/X (yet). But I think that makes the most sense in that who would bother using a Model S/X for a robotaxi.

Reactions: Puddles
I thought the initial purpose for the Model 3 cabin camera is for "RoboTaxi's". It was never added to the Model S/X (yet). But I think that makes the most sense in that who would bother using a Model S/X for a robotaxi.

Yes, the Model 3 cabin camera is for when the car becomes a robotaxi. According to Tesla, it will be used to monitor the passengers when it is in robotaxi mode, not for driver attention monitoring. Although some Tesla owners (like me) hope Tesla will change their mind and use it to monitor driver attention, although apparently it is in poorly located for that role.

... although apparently it is in poorly located for that role.

Here, now, we come back to our first posts. This Comma Two inward-facing camera is similarly located, which is why I questioned it.

Well, I also questioned it because I am opposed to the notion of big brother snooping on us (shoot, even Mark Zuckerberg tapes up his web cams), but we can agree to disagree on that angle for the time being :)