Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Common way to greet other Model 3 drivers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually had to look it up... it's very close to the "I got your nose" sign :)

https://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/fingerspelling/abc-gifs/t.gif
In American Sign language a T is a fist with your thumb in between the index and middle finger. Actually really easy and kinda cool looking!
I'm used to having my left hand on the wheel at 12 O'clock. When I see a Tesla or recognize another EV, I throw a peace sign. I give a full hand when I see them wave back.
You inspired me to start throwing T's.

How about E, since it was supposed to be a Model E...

e.gif

As someone still waiting for his Model 3, I am wondering if there is a way to greet or acknowledge other Model 3 drivers on the road?

I believe bikers often wave at other bikers, but car drivers never had any reason to greet other car drivers.

However, Tesla is different to other cars and the Model 3 is different to other Teslas.

We could just pass each other with the learned indifference of other car drivers, or we could try and give a signal that indicates both our joy of being a Model 3 owner AND that we care about each other.

Flashing lights or honking with your horn are both too obvious and have the potential to cause irritation to other drivers.

I am wondering if turning on windscreen wipers with a small water squirt could be a subtle form to say "my Model 3 is so happy to see your Model 3 it made me cry..."

For those driving in areas where the Model 3 has become ubiquitous - how do you react to seeing other Model 3s on the road?
Please don't do this, I always end up behind some joker cleaning their windshield using the wipers tight after I have finished washing my car.

I might greet you with the finger if you spray your dirty water at me.

• Funny
Reactions: Kleenerth3
I was an early-adopter of the Prius and it was a treat to see the occasional other owner on the road, so we'd wave or toot our horns at each other. After the Prius became too common, the greetings stopped. Seeing another one was no longer special.

Teslas in general already were so common here by the time I got my Model 3 that it was no longer special to see another on the road. Consequently, I've never noticed anyone waving at me nor do I wave at others.

Please don't do this, I always end up behind some joker cleaning their windshield using the wipers tight after I have finished washing my car.

I might greet you with the finger if you spray your dirty water at me.

You must not have watched the video or looked at your own car after using the wipers. The spray is directed along the wiper blades. I think there's practically no backspray to trailing vehicles.

Reactions: 1st in Line
When I drove an S2000 everyone would wave. But they only made ~50k of those in 10 years, so seeing another one wasn't super common even in SoCal.

I have been at traffic lights where every other car is a model 3, X, or S. Waving at every Tesla in Orange County would be a full time job.

That is so good to hear!

Here in Sydney you only see the very occasional S or X.

I think the world would be a better place if everyone drove a Tesla and it would be a friendlier place if Tesla drivers gave a friendly gesture to each other that expressed their solidarity.

In any metro area of California, a wave would make you look like an insane person.

I actually did not say that a wave was my preferred "sign".

Anything very subtle would be good, so that it would be a bit like a free mason's handshake - not noticed by others, but definitely noticed by other Model 3 drivers.

Besides that, the way I drive, I look pretty insane most of the time ;-)

I've done my best to start a movement that uses an exaggerated "OK" where you make an O with the thumb and first finger, but spread the 3 remaining fingers to emphasize the "3". Does not seem to be catching on. Part of the problem is that while 1.5% of Tesla owners are fun, enthusiastic, Forum members, and have a sense of community, the rest are self absorbed pr|cks who have no situational awareness whatsoever or are too busy texting while (Auto, hopefully) driving.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot about this, is that apparently white supremacists have appropriated the sign, so, never mind, don't use it. It's also an important scuba message, so if you're diving, don't think the guy means "White Power." He's asking if you're OK.

Very encouraging Puddles - the fact that you thought of your own sign and actually tried to start something like that.

I actually think the fact that white supremacists use the sign should not deter us, as Model 3 drivers misappropriating the sign would mean that as there are more and more of us and far outnumbering the racists, any white supremacist would simply be mistaken as a Model 3 driver. Unlike white supremacists, I think scuba divers are smart enough to realise that hey are not in the water when they see someone fish the sign on the road.

As for your 1.5% figure, I was hoping the that figure would be much much higher...

I suppose you are excluding Jeeps from “cars”?

Google “jeep wave”.

No, I do acknowledge that Jeeps are cars, but as Dr Sheldon Cooper would point out, I did qualify that other car drivers never had a reason to greet each other. The "Jeep wave" - as I understand it is to represent that it is an "honour" to drive a Jeep. But if you believe in a multi-universe, in which universe is the Jeep so "special", that it actually can be considered to be an "honour" to be driving one?

A Model 3 on the other hand...

Reactions: PACEMD and Puddles